• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Your kidding right?

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Sunday morning at Noon. We had just come into the Men's Grill after playing and we saw the same clip....showed him hitting 100, 200 etc.

And then the line......

Here we are way down here in the Deep South, and all three of us say almost at the same time.....

"No way.....Gretzky's got the all time greatest records...."

If anyone would study it, and give Hockey a damn fair shake, I think they'd agree.

Two more points:

1) Bobby Cox (Braves manager) was reputed to say, "Bonds is no big deal...Alex Rodriquez is going to blow by him in a few more years"....and if you look at the stix, A-Rod got to 500 faster than anyone. Barring injury....Bonds "all time greatest record in all of sports" is only going to stand for another 5-6 years. Uhhhhh....

2) As for baseball, the alltime great record IMHO, is Ripken's consecutive games....

For a record to receive that sort of SUPERLATIVE, it should be unbreakable or damn near so....

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Until three years ago, steroid use wasn't illegal in MLB. So, even if McGwire/Bonds/Caminiti/etc used, it was within the rules set out by Major League Baseball, the same way it was when Aaron hit all his home runs.

If steroids were around back then, you can bet your left nut that guys would have been taking them like crazy.

As far as I'm concerned, the fact that Bonds is lying about taking them is COMPLETELY different from whether or not his record should be qualified as legit. It's 100% without a shadow of a doubt within the legal confines of MLB's rules and regulations.

That being said, I still think that the most significant records in sports are:

-Nolan Ryan's strikeout record (will never be touched)
-Cal Ripken Jr's ironman streak (no chance)
-Wayne Gretzky's single season scoring record (no chance)
-Wayne's 50 goals in 39 games
-Wayne's career points record (no chance, 2857, over 1000 from 2nd place)
-Mario Lemieux's 5 goals, 5 different ways (even-strength goal, a power play goal, a short-handedgoal, a penalty shot goal, and an empty net goal.)
-Damon Allen's career passing yardage of 72019 yards

R35

Here's the fact:

"A 1988 US federal law declared the use and distribution of anabolic steroid drugs for nontherapeutic use illegal, but Major League Baseball did not test for steroids in baseball until 2003."

The fact that a doctor prescribed them to Bonds in no way diminished the fact that it tarnishes his record.

I agree with all your records being greater than the HR record, particularly Cal Ripkin's consecutive-game streak.

I would add Jerry Rice's record of 22,895 career receiving yards.

Sandpiper, you would have to be an idiot to believe that Bonds didn't take steroids - and you are no idiot.

OP
Sandpiper3

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Sandpiper, you would have to be an idiot to believe that Bonds didn't take steroids - and you are no idiot.

Eracer, the only point I have on Bonds is that it isnt proven, I wouldnt doubt it though, but I got nothing against him until its proven.

Then again either way I dont really care cuz I dont even like baseball anywayz:p

Viva Gretzky!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Eracer, the only point I have on Bonds is that it isnt proven, I wouldnt doubt it though, but I got nothing against him until its proven.

Then again either way I dont really care cuz I dont even like baseball anywayz:p

Viva Gretzky!

I hear what you're saying but:

OJ killed his wife.
Michael Jackson molests young boys.
Men have walked on the moon.
WBL will buy more drivers.

and Barry Bonds used anabolic steroids. But I agree with you - Major League Baseball is no longer relevant.

Ain't life a bitch...

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
That being said, I still think that the most significant records in sports are:

-Damon Allen's career passing yardage of 72019 yards

R35

I'm sorry, I can no longer take anything you say seriously. :D

How about 7 Consecutive Tour de Frances
511 Career wins (The Rocket is 150 behind)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I'm sorry, I can no longer take anything you say seriously. :D

How about 7 Consecutive Tour de Frances
511 Career wins (The Rocket is 150 behind)

When you pass for 75,000 yards, we'll talk. Remember Warren Moon?

Cycling isn't a sport if Baseball records aren't recognized because of performance enhancing drugs. PERIOD.

R35

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Lance Armstrong rocks, amazing guy, amazing athlete.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
When you pass for 75,000 yards, we'll talk. Remember Warren Moon?

Cycling isn't a sport if Baseball records aren't recognized because of performance enhancing drugs. PERIOD.

R35

The 6 other people that watch the CFL might know who Damon is or realize that you can still be a QB in the CFL at age 73.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The 6 other people that watch the CFL might know who Damon is or realize that you can still be a QB in the CFL at age 73.

Well put. But the fact remains that he has played at an elite level for a long, long time. He's done now, tho.

His bro, Marcus, is on record stating that in a league of "underachievers", his passing records should not be taken with any less, being that it's 3 down ball and the ball is bigger.

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
His bro, Marcus, is on record stating that in a league of "underachievers", his passing records should not be taken with any less, being that it's 3 down ball and the ball is bigger.

R35

Field is also wider, endzones deeper, dbacks are slower. The really good players really stand out. Flutie won like 21 MVPs and 30 Grey Cups, so it's all a matter of perspective really.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Hmmm

Proof?

Same goes with Bonds. Nothing viable.

I'm not a Bonds advocate or anything, I just hate the media's jest of all of it. If it's any consolation, Lance isn't very well respected in European cycling world because of his "alleged" permformance enhancing use.

As I said, same difference.

R35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Field is also wider, endzones deeper, dbacks are slower. The really good players really stand out. Flutie won like 21 MVPs and 30 Grey Cups, so it's all a matter of perspective really.

Flutie also played with alot of talent. Allen played for many, many shitty teams and still dominated.

Don't yank my chain and even compare someone like Dan Marino (who won squat) to Damon Allen in terms of accomplishments.

R35

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.