• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Your most embarrassing shot.

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
Everyone remembers their great shots but how about the not so great ones? I'm not talking about the shanks and duffs that show up every now and then but the truely awful shot witnessed by too many people.

I have two;

One was many years ago. It was a club tournament and my first competitive golf. I teed up on the 1st hole, popped the ball almost straight up and hit a tree limb that extended over the tee. The ball bounced almost straight back and ended up in a trash can near the ball washer. There were probably 30 wise asses watching.

The second was at an outing where some young ladies from a local gentleman's club had been hired as cart girls. They were stationed at strategic points around the course to visually reward good shots. I was on the tee when one drove up and stopped almost directly in front of the tee. I asked her to move, she drove to the side of the tee and I hit her anyway. At least I hit the cart, fortunately not the young thing driving. I didn't miss her by much and it scared the hell out of both of us. In my defense she was mooning me mid swing.

Golfanatic

Feb 22, 2012
A horrible hook off the 13th tee that went out and across a road and nearly hit a brand new Ford Mustang.
Thinking about it makes me choke pretty much every time I get up to tee off on this hole.

As far as the worst shot Ive ever seen.
A friend had ONE small tree to miss on his way to the green. He managed to grab hold of the ball pretty well, hit the tree dead on and the ball bounced straight back and knocked the crap out of him.
I couldnt stop laughing for a couple holes.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
Last fall I was playing behind a whole gaggle of good looking girls, which happen to be the girls golf team at a local junior college. They let us play through on the hardest driving hole on the course. I should've been hitting a 3 iron or something but no, I pulled driver. We were playing pretty far back on the tees and the red tees were like 40 yards in front of us. All the girls were stacked up to my left beside their tee. Of course I hit a smothered duck hook right at them and they scattered like I had threw a grenade when we yelled fore. The stares that I got while driving past them was priceless. I apologized and they didn't say a word, they just stared at me. So my big mouth buddy says, "smile girls, it's golf". Still not a word, lol. Then we went up and spent 5 minutes looking for my ball and couldn't find it so I just dropped one. I wasn't going back to that tee, lol. Awkward.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Last fall I was playing behind a whole gaggle of good looking girls, which happen to be the girls golf team at a local junior college. They let us play through on the hardest driving hole on the course. I should've been hitting a 3 iron or something but no, I pulled driver. We were playing pretty far back on the tees and the red tees were like 40 yards in front of us. All the girls were stacked up to my left beside their tee. Of course I hit a smothered duck hook right at them and they scattered like I had threw a grenade when we yelled fore. The stares that I got while driving past them was priceless. I apologized and they didn't say a word, they just stared at me. So my big mouth buddy says, "smile girls, it's golf". Still not a word, lol. Then we went up and spent 5 minutes looking for my ball and couldn't find it so I just dropped one. I wasn't going back to that tee, lol. Awkward.

Hahahaha!! Wow man, that's the worst!

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Me? Nothing too fancy. Just a shank out of bounds from the tee. 45 degrees right and straight into the brush. I don't think it can get any more embarrassing. Especially when your playing partners' balls are sitting in the middle of the fairway.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I once stuck the driver head in the ground 5 inches behind the ball, the ball never left the tee.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Hopefully no one has tried this yet. :)

[video=youtube;GdG6B08LsOs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GdG6B08LsOs[/video]

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
With our group, we are "blessed" to be entertained by many shots that we can recall for months/years. Some we still talk about...
1. Scientifically impossible: One of our group was teed up for his drive on #12. He swung hard and, the best we can figure, barely caught the ball off the hosel end of the driver. The ball went between his legs, knee high, into the weeds behind him. How it kept from hitting him in the knee or his "manhood"...
2. Acrobat: One of our group hit a big slice off the tee on #16. He was backing up, watching the ball flight as it went over into the trees on the right. As he was backing up, he tripped over the tee marker and did a complete backwards somersault, ending standing up with a big smile on his face. This particular player has bad knees and finds it almost impossible to bend over to tee up his ball. His 'performance' of this somersault was spectacular and, thank goodness, injury free.
3. It's a dangerous game, but someone has to play it: One player in our group has now hit two other players... in the head... with his clubs. He was teeing off on #15. There was a little mist in the air. On his follow through, his driver slipped out of his hand and went sailing right behind him... straight into the head of one of the others in the group. Could have been disastrous, except the driver head caught the bill of the other player's cap and cushioned the blow. The same player had just missed a putt and swung his putter backward in disgust. Another player had walked up behind him to place his ball and take his turn putting. Yep! A glancing blow to the head with a 'potato masher" putter.
4. Eagle!: One of our players eagled a par 5. He cannot physically hit the ball far enough to have eagle putts on 5 pars. On this particular day, he hit one of his better drives. His second shot was struck well, but was headed into one of those places elephants go to die... into a hazard on the left. The ball hit the top of one of the red hazard stakes, carooming high and forward and onto the green. The richocet landed 6 feet from the pin. He made the eagle putt.

I hate to classify anything as an "embarrassing" shot. So many do not have the opportunity to enjoy this great game of golf, as do we. When we whiff or shank or take a quadruple on the card... others would give their right arm to be there with us.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
Mine came while playing in a state tournament in high school. I was on the 7th green, I had hit two amazing shots to stuff one to eight feet, left my birdie putt short and calmly walked up to tap in my 10" putt for my par. I lipped out the putt, it power lipped, caught the slope next to the hole and ran to about 12 feet. I was so shaken I three putted from that point. I ended up missing the cut by one shot, and if the course that I had made this shot on not been destroyed later that year to make room for some condos, I would have made sure that green would never have seen the next season. I still to this day line up every putt regardless of length because of that stupid mistake.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Mine came while playing in a state tournament in high school. I was on the 7th green, I had hit two amazing shots to stuff one to eight feet, left my birdie putt short and calmly walked up to tap in my 10" putt for my par. I lipped out the putt, it power lipped, caught the slope next to the hole and ran to about 12 feet. I was so shaken I three putted from that point. I ended up missing the cut by one shot, and if the course that I had made this shot on not been destroyed later that year to make room for some condos, I would have made sure that green would never have seen the next season. I still to this day line up every putt regardless of length because of that stupid mistake.

I too have 5 putted during a tournament. That was the last round that I used that putter, lol. It's hard to recover mentally after something like that.

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
I haven't hit any carts full of girls, though I have duffed my fair share in front of the beer cart hotties...lol....But, one shot that always sticks in my mind, that I tell the story of...not necessarily out of embarrassment but just the fact i could try a thousand more times and not have it happen.

I was in "jail", a very heavily wooded area you do not wanna be in. I had this great shot visualized. I hit it a nice bladed iron tryin to see it too soon....and it managed to skid all the way to a base of the tree....went up the tree for approximately 12-14ft before it then went back towards me along a branch for about 4-5ft...before shooting about 30yds behind me, lmao....literally flew right back over our cart. Hit a lot of trees in my day, but nothing with that effect.

An embarrassing shot my buddy just had lately, and its too bad only us seen it though. He is usually a pretty good golfer. However, he somehow hit his 3w off the tee and managed to hit himself in the knee with the ball. Funniest golf shot I seen in quite a while. Wish i had a slow-mo of it to see exactly what happened. Obviously off the heel.

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007
I've had two this year already.

#13 at The Practice Center in Franklin Ohio. It's a Par 3 course, and the hole is 167 yards, so I pull the 7 iron. Proceed to $hank it, ball bends way right, OB, over the cabbage patch... and on down I-75. A second later, I heard the unmistakable squeal of tires. But mercifully no metal on metal, so all was well, right? :)

#16 at California in Cincinnati. Tuesday night league, match play, 2 on 2. I'm up by 6 holes with 3 to go, so who cares, right? I'm beating this guy with nothing longer than a six iron. I get to the tee box with my 6 iron, and am appalled to find out that they've moved the tee boxes back about 40 yards - and there's a big ole tree over hanging the white tee's, which is suddenly in play if you're hitting from the blues. Me, being unatheletic as I am, just decide to borrow my partner's driver. Hit a line drive straight into the trunk of that tree, I'm sure that crash could have qualified for the Fourth of July fireworks. The ball came back at us, landing about six feet away from where I'd teed off.

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
Oh another funny one at league the other night. My buddy topped his ball really hard...so hard he continued his follow through and was standin there tryin to figure out where it went...little did he know it was hangin about 1.5' over his head and then dropped on his shoulder, lmao....seein some funny golf shots this year.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
For the most part I hit great tee shots all day at the WI outing.... except for the two tee shots that I dubbed short of the ladies tees. I haven't dubbed a tee shot all year and then I did it twice in five holes while playing with some guys from Shottalk.

Kumabjorn

Oct 30, 2009
Many moons ago when I had some game I needed an up& down on the 18th green for the club championship for juniors. I chunked it about a foot and was so shell shocked that the next one went by the hole about ten feet, I don't need to tell you that the putt lipped out.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.