• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Your Very First Clubs

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
TMag, would you say they did a good job on them? I mean, they look nice now, definitely, but How bad were they to begin with?

also, what did it run you to get them done if you don't mind me asking.

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
I had them done through the GolfWorks

ai24.photobucket.com_albums_c24_mhymerling_DSC00526.jpg

ai24.photobucket.com_albums_c24_mhymerling_DSC00527.jpg
those look gorgeous...

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
They were pretty beat up before, lots of bag wear and some wear spots o the face.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
A complete set of late 70's Wilson X-31 Custom Forged blades 3-PW, X-31 Driver/3 wood/5 wood (actual wood heads), McGregor Great Scott SW I picked up somewhere, original Acushnet Bullseye flange. I still have them all and my first bag. I just had the irons regripped with Tour Velvets and am playing them (probably selling the 23's).

We were a Wilson family. In dad's garage: Mom's original Wilson Patty Berg full set, Wilson Staff Tour Blades FG-17, Wilson 1200 GE, dad's beach set is a set of Fat Shafts. Also an older X31 SW that my dad played.

PINGELI

Sep 7, 2007
My first set of clubs was a set of Dunlop Centru I bought for $130 at Dunham's Discount Sports. The set included 1,3,5 woods. and 3 iron -pw. They did have true temper shafts and were mid-stiff flex.

I never golfed until I was 18. The youth pastor from church took me to a local beginner's course (which is actually as nice as some regular courses I have played). It is actually a five-hole practice course on the property of an 18-hole course. The round was five dollars for ten holes and I borrowed our senior pastor's clubs (old Northwesterns with persimmon woods and top-flite balls from teh early 90's). by the time we completed playing through the five the first time I was hooked. On ewek later, I took my paycheck (worked for a farmer for the summer) and bought the Dunlops (on sale from $250), a bag, a putter (dunlop balata from wal-mart fopr $10) and a 15 pack of Top-Flite balls.

I was new to the game and knew nothing of pro-line equipment. I played those Dunlops fpr 4 years (upon graduating from college, my parents purchased me a very nice set of used Ping Zing irons I currently have up on ebay).

Like I said, I knew nothing of pro-line equipment until about a year into my golf infatuation (and then wanted a set of PING's--I still have no idea why that was the brand that grabbed me even before I ever held a Ping in my hand).

Those Dunlops did me well. My longest drive ever came with that Dunlop centrus driver (347 yards-- my youth pastor was with me that time too at an old farm converted into a golf course).

I played the Ping Zings for one year and then bought myself a custom-fit set of Ping i3+ irons in 2003. Just recently, my wife decided to get me new clubss so I got the Ping raptures (which I love).

I'm still a hacker and still love the game. i just don't get to play as much as I would like.

PINGELI

Sep 7, 2007
Back in the good old days, when I first started playing, about 4 -5 months ago:laugh:, I went to Wall Mart, bought a Driver, a Dunlap 3W, and a SW.

Bought a Ben Hogan 6i, and a TM 3i off of e-bay.

I hit the driving range with these clubs for about a month, untill I had the nerve to get on a 9 hole course.
I played with these for another month or so,then I bought a set of Cleveland CG4s, a Walter Hagen 3W, and WH 5Hibryd.
Also picked up a power play driver at the range for 50 bucks, and I've been playing with this set up till now.

This morning I just broke 110 for the first time ever.
I shot a 109.

The only thing that I'm missing is a decent driver, a nise SW, and a 3Hibryd.
Although, I hit my 3 and 4 iron better then my 5Hibryd, so I may not get a another hybrid.

I don't know that you need a better driver. my all-time best drive (347 yards-- no joke) was with a Dunlop Centrus that came in my $130 set of Dunlop Centrus clubs. I'm currently a Taylormade R5 to get Tm R7 superquad

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.