• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

You've Got to love Golf Shop staff

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I was in a local golf shop today looking at putters. I was demoing a few when the assistant came over. I had narrowed it down to a Nike Retro or a Yes Forged. The assistant pulled the old sales pitch on the Nike asking me if I knew about the 'one piece' technology. He then went on to tell me there is no joint between the head and the shaft meaning better feel and control. I then turn the putter up side down and ask him to explain the sticker on the shaft....it Read "Head made in China - Shaft made in USA - Assembled in USA" He went slightly red as he was the Pro and Owner of the store. He took the putter from me and had a closer look himself....'Argh' he said "I'm gonna ask the Nike Rep" He said he had sold loads of them and had told everybody about the one piece technology!!! :)

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Good story, but unfortunately not all that surprising. I find most gold shop personnel to be a bit on the uninformed side. They grab onto one idea and tend to exaggerate it as a positive even when it does not apply to the item in your hand.

Did he at least turn a nice shade of red? :laugh:

Hey Buddy

Jun 6, 2008
I was in a local golf shop today looking at putters. I was demoing a few when the assistant came over. I had narrowed it down to a Nike Retro or a Yes Forged. The assistant pulled the old sales pitch on the Nike asking me if I knew about the 'one piece' technology. He then went on to tell me there is no joint between the head and the shaft meaning better feel and control. I then turn the putter up side down and ask him to explain the sticker on the shaft....it Read "Head made in China - Shaft made in USA - Assembled in USA" He went slightly red as he was the Pro and Owner of the store. He took the putter from me and had a closer look himself....'Argh' he said "I'm gonna ask the Nike Rep" He said he had sold loads of them and had told everybody about the one piece technology!!! :)

Sorry-A little internet search could have told you this one.....The joke is on you-Go to it's website. IT IS ONE PIECE TECHNOLOGY-your cracking down on pro shop staff.....you don't even know anything

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
Hey HB,

How can you make a head in China, make the shaft in the USA and assemble it in the USA. The only person that doesn't know anything in this circumstance is you. I wouldn't be surprised if you were playing the Hammer driver and the "no-shank" wedges, you seem to be the type of guy that these sales pitches work on.

Have a nice day.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I think it's supposed to be the head and the flange being one piece. Meaning the neck is not welded on, it's actually the same piece of metal. Obviously it couldn't be the shaft the same piece as well... that MF'er would weigh about 12lbs., wouldn't it?
icon10.gif
Either way, who's going to buy a Nike putter if they can't even get Tiger to use it?

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Buddy, your first post is insulting a reputed member? Did you design this Nike putter, and his apparent ignorance of the compexities of it's construction offended you?

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
Buddy, your first post is insulting a reputed member? Did you design this Nike putter, and his apparent ignorance of the compexities of it's construction offended you?

I was gonna say the same think mike. 1st post and ripping a veteran.

He must work for Nike.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005

I was gonna say the same think mike. 1st post and ripping a veteran.

He must work for Nike.

he`s one of these know it all i read it on the internet so it must be true guys.they are never wrong because they have a web page that proves it.also according to the net fake JUGS taste better then real JUGS.so it must be true cause ya read it here on the net.:laugh:

Hey Buddy

Jun 6, 2008
I Don't care what you people say-YOUR WRONG. Look on the website. I know the head was made in China, and shaft in the U.S. but it was assembled by epoxy within the head itself<--------that is not normal. Read and find out for yourself.

Dusty90

Another Canuck
May 6, 2007
From a review, quoting Nikes advertising, "The heads are laser welded to the shaft and nickel plated as a single unit"

That doesn't sound to me like it is all one piece, sure it is all plated together, but that doesn't really do anything I wouldn't think.

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
Not coming to anyone's aid but the Nike unitized Neo that I have is pretty nice.

Don't really care if Tiger or some douche from my club plays it. I hit putts with that and the cameron circa 62 #6 and couldn't tell anything better with either.

That being said Nike claiming that it's all one piece doesn't mean anything to me. It just feels great.

JeffGallo

Apr 23, 2008
well, the plating isnt the difference, the plating is changing the feel, but welding a shaft to the head is a very different technique, and yields, what is (metalergically) one peice. Having tried to take one apart, believe me, what's been read on the internet is true, definitely welded. The idea is to connect the two pieces to each other more directly than epoxy so that it will communicate more vibration, and you've tried it, does in not do that?
in my experience it does.
IMHO no one was really out of line here.

🔥 Latest posts