• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1" = 6 Swingweight points

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spoke to pro shop personnel today about cutting 1" off my 45" ProLaunch 905R. He said it would lighten my swingweight by 6 points to a C8 or something. That seems like alot, I've never cut that much off my driver, anyone have any experience with this? Will it really feel that much lighter? (PS - my SS is around the low to mid 90s)

Your pro is correctly communicating the industry standard for estimating of swingweight change. For every 1/2" of length added, 3 swingweight points are estimated to be added. For every 1/2" of length removed, you estimate lowering the swingweight by 3 points. Hence, the estimated 6 point reduction as you cut 1" from the shaft length. But...

Noone can predict just how swingweight adjustments will translate to feel. That feel varies substantially from golfer to golfer. Some pros can feel 0.5 change... some pros cannot detect 2 to 3 ponts change. Most amateur golfers cannot detect a 3 to 5 point change. Most of us, CAN and WILL detect a reduction in static weight before we will detect a change in swingweight. However, in your case, 1" from a lightweight graphite shaft will have virtually no noticable difference in static weight.

You should be more accurate with the shorter shaft. (That may be the reason you are considering shortening the shaft.) Some will argue, but you may hit the ball as far or farther... if you are hitting the ball more consistently on or near the center of the clubface. Don't let the swingweight issue get in your head. Golf is 90% mental and the other 10% is all in your head. Too often we suffer paralysis from too much analysis. Cut the 1" off. Go hit the ball straighter and never look back. You will enjoy the game much more from the short grass!!!

limpalong, thanks, that is what I was after. I clipped my previous driver and was really happy with my decision, I've just never gone a full inch. Thanks for the info!

Give it a try, and if you don't like it, it's a reason to try out more shafts.

Tell your clubfitter to install a tip weight to get the head weight back up, some lead tape will also work, but will require a lot of tape.

Another question: will a high swingweight make a club tend to hook or fade?

I have a hybrid that is 1/2" longer than I would like it to be and 4 swingweight points heavier. It is also a hook machine, so I haven't bee using it. If I have it shortened 1/2", it should drop from a D6 to a D3, which is closer to my desired swingweight of D2. Will it help straighten it out as well?

swingweight can help with center face contact, but it probably (definatly) wont help with a hook.

Swingweight, in itself, has no direct relationship to ball spin/direction tendancies. However, shortenting the shaft may well give you a more controllable club face and reduce the hook tendancy.

Read reviews throughout the industry on hybrid technology. Many folks fight the hooks with hybrids. This, certainly, is not a problem unique to you. So...

First ask why you carry this particular club. If this club fills a gap in your bag, shortenting the club may well result in less distance. If that happens, you could find yourself overswinging to compensate and still have a hook machine. Try a couple of things before chopping off the shaft. Put a fairly large "goober" of lead tape out on the toe. Slowing down the closing of the clubface may reduce the hooking. Or, for a couple of buck, get the club regripped with the alignment marks of the grip installed where the clubface is left open a few degrees. Again, remembering this is a mental game, set the hands with the alignment marks and the clubface will look open. But, that's what you want to correct the hooks.

I've probably had over 2 dozen hybrids in and out of my bag. I have found 2 out of all those that work for me. You may, likewise, have to kiss a lot of frogs before finding a prince.

You may, likewise, have to kiss a lot of frogs before finding a prince.

Can we make that a princess, please? :)

I want to shorten it primarily to decrease the swingweight. D6 is way out of line with the rest of my clubs.

Sorry!!! Princess it is!!

Is it the higher swingweight you are feeling or a higher static weight. Most recreational golfers would have difficulty feeling a couple of swingweights difference. Check the static weight. If this might be the only club that, for instance, has a Dyanmic Gold shaft... the DG shaft is quite heavy compared to lightweight steel or graphite. And, 1" off the end of the shaft would not reduce the static weight that much.

I cannot stress how much the mental approach plays a part in how well we play the clubs in our bag. If you feel the shaft is too long... you will 99% of the time play better when the shaft length is reduced. Yet, do not be surprised if the "feel" of the club does not change much. I don't know what grips you use. If the static weight is higher on this club, you may want to change to a lighter grip when you cut the shaft off. You can have anywhere from 10 to 15 grams difference in the weight between a lightweight grip similar to a Winn vs. a cord grip from GP. Now, that lighter grip will also have a bearing on your swingweight. Whew! I've even chased this weasel around the chicken coop until I'm dizzy!

Hey! Good luck! Go get that rascal cut off and play well, my friend!!!! (Never knew someone who wanted both a princess and a shorter shaft... both at the same time.) LOL Sorry! Just couldn't resist that one! And, I do apologize for an off color remark if it offends.

Could also be that the crappy stock shaft in it is to soft for you, especially in the tip.

It's a Rifle 5.0 shaft, just like my other clubs. Static weight was within a few grams of my 3 iron. SW was D6, so I had 1/2" taken off the butt last night and I was hitting it OK, just a little pull. I'll work on that. Of course, I was hitting my 3 iron OK too, so now I have to decide which club I wan to carry.

See! Positive results already! Good job!!!!

Isn't that the best problem to have? You hit both clubs well enough you can't decide which one to leave at home. Much better than not being able to hit either! Again... Good luck with your modified club.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520