• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A Deal's a Deal.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Reaction score
I received my free golf balls from DOGB Tues. and got to go play last night so I used one of his. Since his only requirement was a review here it is.

I played with a Strata Tour Ultimate 2.

First I'd like to comment on the quality in terms of the condition of the balls sent. The only indication that this wasn't a new ball was the marking's made by the previous owner to indentify it. Guess that didn't work out for him.

It looks like this ball has been discontinued and that's a shame, because it's a very good ball. It's every bit as long off the tee as a ProV1 or HX Blue. I liked the feel off the driver as I could feel it compress but without it being too mushy. Not sure if it was the ball or me but there was little draw or fade with my tee shots. Just straight and long.

It held the greens pretty well but it wasn't a fair test because our greens were sanded last week. Even so it got a good test around the greens because of my low number of GIRs and I found it more like the ProV1 than the HX Blue. It held fine but doesn't have the very high spin around the green like the Blues.

Overall I'd play this ball if I found some on closeout. I also have a more favorable opinion of buying used golf balls. I've become a bit of a ball snob over the last couple of years and I think this might help me get over it.

I got mine 2 days ago, but with work and my upcoming reserve drill it'll be a little while before I can review them (i.e. lose them in the woods).

OK, I need to contact DOGB but can't find it (well, I haven't looked very hard). I have a friend that lives on a course and finds/sells a couple thousand balls a year.... (he's on the right side of a reachable par5, lots of people lose the ball right...). I think he may be interested in selling them "bulk" to someone like DOGB since he's recently had a small stroke and can't work as much....I'm really not sure about his interest level but it wouldn't hurt to check it out since he does sell these balls to whoever wants them at very good prices.

P_102

dealsongolfballs.com

Silver said:
dealsongolfballs.com

S - Have you bought balls from these guys? 20 bucks for an almost new dozen Pro V1 sounds tempting.

I find used balls are either bleached, or usually rated higher than they actually are.

nah, I've only bought used balls locally (and I know that can be twisted around)

there's a guy that lives in North Van that sells on ebay pretty regularly - justthebestdeals or something like that - and he allows for local pickup, so it usually works out to close to $1 a ball CDN if you get the right auctions

I have considered DOGB though, because I really like the HX Red...I've only played with one, but it was f'in fantastic.

I'm also looking to pick up a couple dozen Precept PWRDrive for winter play. I had a dozen last year and those things fly a mile, even in cold weather. Wherever I can get those cheap is where I'll buy them. I'm hoping Target or somewhere will have them when we head down to Bellingham for "Black Friday" or whatever the Americans call it.

VtDivot said:
S - Have you bought balls from these guys? 20 bucks for an almost new dozen Pro V1 sounds tempting.

I find used balls are either bleached, or usually rated higher than they actually are.

FWIW the ones I got looked great. The one I was playing with still had someones magic marker dots on it so I doubt that it was bleached.

When I run out again I'm gonna give him a try. I'm thinking about a practice net too so I'm really tempted on that shag bag of 100 ProVs for $36.

Silver said:
I have considered DOGB though, because I really like the HX Red...I've only played with one, but it was f'in fantastic.

S,

I know i've harped on this before, but have you played the HX Blue? I was a diehard HX Red guy for a long time before switching to the Blue. I felt I could drive it just as far as the Red, yet it had what I felt like twice as much spin from 150 in.

Ideally, I would love to plya HX Black/Tours, but they're damn expensive. But the HX Blue is superior to the Red, in my opinion.

It's be worth buying a sleeve and giving them a go. Hell, I'll send you a sleeve, I'm that confident in them.

R35

Yeah Rock, I bought 4 dozen HX Blue/CTU 30/Rule 35s and 4 dozen HX Tours from that local guy for a total of about $110 CAD. And to be honest, I thought that the Blues were fantastic...BUT!

I feel the Red is better suited to the current state of my game. A bit less spin off the tee, a bit more distance (despite my gorilla'esque frame, I don't drive it THAT far) and good feel around the greens. It actually really reminded me of the V1X but not quite as good for a lot less money.

I liked the Blues for sure, but they were beyond me...at this stage.

The Tours are fine for me, but even on ebay, more expensive to lose than they're worth.

I have a huge batch of 6 dozen V1s and 1 dozen V1Xs I bought from that guy recently, so those will last me awhile yet. Haven't even opened them yet, actually.

I bought 1 dozen HX Blue and 1 doz Pro V1 from DOGB for 40 bucks incl shipping. I'll fill you boys in on their condition when they arrive.

Sounds good.

The HX Blue is a ball in a class by itself, I find. I have three guys that I play regularily with that have been converted based soley on playing with a ball for a few holes. Then they went out and bought a dozen and never looked back.

Callaway has a winner there, and they're not ProV expensive.

R35

OK, I finally got to play a round today, so now I can review my free golf balls from DOGB.

Today the weather was great: 50F, overcast but no rain, and the course (Applewood) was very uncrowded. I walked using my new Wildcat electric trolley.

The balls I got were a mix of Nike, Callaway Red, Laddie Extreme, and Titleist. All looked good, but the Tittys weren't as white as the others and had more sponsor imprints.

First, I checked all of them on my Check-Go for roundness and balance. The Callys and Nike faired best on this test.

My driving and putting were good today, but my irons and fairway woods sucked today. The Callys seemed to drive straighter and roll best on the green. All scuffed easily, but the CFTs I use will take the hide off of any ball.

Titleist do not float.

All of these balls seem to have an affinity for sandtraps and the woods.

Overall, I think these balls are a great deal, and as soon as I lose the rest of them, I will be buying some Callaway Reds.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520