• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A putter PLAN

Johnny Miller and Nick Faldo are always making jokes whenever someone plumb-bobs over a putt. Learn how to do the "spiderman" like Villegas.....LOL. Then we'd have something to laugh about in our Wis. Open outings.

Here is my opinion, take it for what it's worth. I wouldn't recommend slouching over the ball too much. I have spent all winter working on my putting and for me, my posture is the most important thing for me to stay consistant. Also, according to Tiger's book, slouching over too much inhibits your ability to line up properly because it changes your perception. Hunching over the ball is something Tiger really preaches against. I'm not a golf pro by no means, but I think it's probably sound advice. My lower back gives me a lot of trouble and I've learned that if I have good posture, I'm able to practice longer without it hurting. I think the main thing with putting is to be comfortable and consistant with your setup, so find out what feels the best for you and stick with it. Like I said, it's just my opinion.

Anyone ever see the old videos of Sam Snead putting? He got down on his knees and putted like it was a pool shot.

Anyone ever see the old videos of Sam Snead putting? He got down on his knees and putted like it was a pool shot.

he also putted on greens that were shaggier than Meg Ryan's bush in the movie "in the cut"

Looking to ST for putting advice, you must be getting desperate WBL. :eek:)

Get thy self out to a large golf store with a large putting green and several different putters and spend an hour or two putting with all of them. One of them is bound to sing to you and your individual method of putting. Get its specs and adjust from there. Once you settle in on style, work with the weight of the club. Find a head weight/back weight combination that is comfortable to use on both short and long putts. Go as heavy as you need to for help on the shorter putts while still keeping a consistent distance control on the longer putts. Spend a lot of time on putting greens when you go to the range, at least as much time as you spend hitting full shots. Find what works for you and stick with it. Keep on spending as much time putting as you do on your full swing.

I know there mixed feelings on the Boomerang putting device, but I have found it to be the most efficient use of time when practicing putting at home. If/when I am ready to start playing golf again, I will start with the Boomerang at home before I head out to the range/practice green.

I switch between two putters probably more than even Vijay Singh does with all his putters. I wanted to try a belly putter couple years ago, so I made one. I took the shaft of a club someone had broken and stuck it in the end of my then standard length Yes putter. It now plays at about 43". My second putter is a Ping G5i that I cut to 33" after doing a Ping web fitting. Both putters are very similar in most regards; both are centre shafted, face balanced, mallets. I could be off by a few grams, but both have the same headweight. The only obvious difference is the length.

Having the putters so similar I find it easier to switch between the two, but that could be just me. I tend to use the belly puttter early in the season and at home to practice, or when I feel my stroke is getting a little sloppy. I find having the putter in my stomach creates almost an idiot proof pendulum stroke which is so easy to repeat.

In the end WBL, it all boils down to what works for you. But there is never any harm in experimenting!!

Stay with a putter you don't have to bend over with, and you can stand to practice a lot more. Forget about "methods" and just get the ball in the hole for a while.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520