• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

All of you "Junior" golfers...

rockford35 said:
Word up.

Does he have his own clubs?

This was huge for me. I had a set of cutoffs and played the hell outta them until i outgrew them.

I heard somewhere that John Daly got his loopy swing from using a full length 3 iron when he was a kid. It was just about as tall as him so he needed to develop a swing that he could get the head of the club on the ball.

I can just imagine a little kid with a mullet swinging that big long iron and loving it.

The rest is history....

R35
Yah. He has his own set of juniors, tho they are actually for 10-12 yr olds, so they are still slightly big for him. I actually thing that gives him a better swing since the weight of the clubs seem to naturally put him in good positions.

rockford35 said:
Word up.

I can just imagine a little kid with a mullet swinging that big long iron and loving it.

The rest is history....

R35

hahaha i can too

Get him some lessons and let him play as much as he wants. But DONT pressure him to play because then it wont be fun and he will want to quit. I wish i could have started when I was 8. I started when I was 11 and now I am 13.

When my grandson is a little older I'm planning on going the lesson route as long as the parents are ok with it of course. If there not ok with it I'll just go behind there back. :p

My plan is to call different pros until I find one that sounds like they enjoy teaching kids. Wouldn't matter how good a pro they were if the didn't have the patience to deal with a little kid.

If you and a pro can keep it fun, what harm could it do to learn the game the right way from the start.

We have some awesome guys in town for the little kids. Agreed, this is very important.

Kids rule.....especially when they're playing golf!

R35

Dave, do they have the 1st tee program in your area? I've been reading up on their program and its mission statement and it looks great. Around 1 - 1 1/2 hrs of golf training per week, but they go the extra mile of translating golf into life lessons and building character. Also, as they progess through the program, they play 9 hole, and then 18 hole rounds every week at various courses in the city. I hope to get Devin in it and also volunteer with the group while there. This way Devin gets golf instruction, I get help with instilling some core values in him, and I get freebie golf instruction.

(At least our chapter) There is no charge for the program, but they do take any donations offered, whether in $, time or equipment.

Crowe, they have the program in Austin which is about 50 miles away from me but where he lives. He's still young enough that I haven't looked into it yet.

At this point I'm still trying to get him to understand the concept of hitting the ball with the club instead of throwing the club and then picking up the ball and throwing that. For now were having fun with that too so who cares.

That sounds like a great program when he's ready.

bdcrowe said:
but they go the extra mile of translating golf into life lessons and building character.

So gambling, cheating on your missus, drugs and alcohol abuse are all on the curriculum then? Ima gonna get my 2 enrolled. May turn out to be a couple of stand up breast wielding lefties with Dalyesque hair-dos, eh?

Only kidding. I'm all for this sort of stuff. Ireland is notoriously bad for junior golf. You learn it yourself. My plan is to let my two of the leash when they hit 7-8 years old and let them play with their grandad, mum and yours truly. A few basic lessons on grip and alignment and then let them get on with it. Only after a summer of it will I know if they are going to get more into it. If they take to it, I guess more advanced lessons may be called for.

My two appear here in the gallery I think. Little rascals. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520