• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Any suggestions using an air compressor to put on grips?

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read about this process yesterday and about how easy it is. I got 2 grips on, but the second one took like 15 minutes. Granted, I'm just learning this process, but I could have done the thing with solvent in a LOT less time.

In the articles I've read online, they say some can do a set of clubs in 5 minutes, plus the clubs are ready to go right then. Sounds good to me.

To put them on, I know you have to put at least masking tape down on the shaft. Then I get the first inch or so wet and put that over the butt end of the shaft. Then I insert air through the hole in the back.

Here is where the trouble starts.

It is absolutely F'in loud the squealing of the air escaping through the small end of the grip. LOUD.

Is there a special way to hold the grip to get it on quickly or something?

Any tricks are appreciated.

Thanks.

Sorry for not doing my own research, but since you read about it I'll ask. Outside of being able to use the club that day, is there any other plus side to this? I guess I could see that you maybe wouldn't have to be as careful with Graphite shafts? Or can you rotate the grips to extend the life, but I would think they would feel funky if it even extended the life? Or is it just the quicker time and money for tape and solvent.

Sorry for the questions, but as you said, it seemed like more trouble then it's worth unless there is a plus side. I would be worried that doing this repeatedly would eventually damage the epoxy in the club head, or destroy the graphite in my Driver.

Interesting though, being that I have a compressor in the basement I was curious of the plus side, or if there are any down sides. Since I only regrip every couple years, I was trying to figure out if it was worth trying.

I think it's really only beneficial if you have already have a compressor or can buy one and have other uses for it...I have a little cheapo 2hp that I got for xmas many moons back I can't really speak on how much easier it is than the tape and solvent method as I have never tried tape and solvent. However, I recently built a driver and left it at 46"s to see if I could get more distance with a longer shaft. I didn't like the extra length so I blew the grip off and cut an inch off, re used the grip and blew it back on. I may still cut another inch off and have saved 2 grips by blowing them on. It's a bit tough getting them started but once you get the hang of it, I see no reason for me to use tape/solvent.

Just lube up the opening with some spit and slip it on the shaft as far as it goes, then use 60-80 psi in short burst to get it started. I try to have a lot of pressure and regulate it through the gun. It does squeal a bit and if the grip does pop off before you get started good it give a loud pop that will wake everyone up. As far as damaging the epoxy, I believe the force of ball impact is much greater than the 60psi of air. Also, I put the grips on the bare shaft.

Thanks for the info. I just regripped in the Fall so I won't need to do so again for a couple years. Maybe I'll give it shot then. It sounds like that is definately the way to go if you alter your clubs.

I already have a pancake compressor, as I am in the process of finishing the basement.

And if you get a grip slightly crooked, how do you fix it?
I would much rather wait a couple of hours and do it the conventional way.

ob-you can blow grips on/off without damaging them, and from what i've heard, its not hard to align them properly. Once i get a compressor i'll start doing it

I "mastered" putting them on today. I brought out a cup of warm soapy water and dunked the hole of the grip (the small end) about an inch into the SOAPY water. Then I put it on the end of the shaft and hold the grip right there on the small end. Fire up the air and push the grip down the shaft. It squeals only a little and goes on right quick.

IF you accidentally get it offline, you just hold the grip in place, blow in some air and turn the grip. FAST and easy.

Once I got it going, I would guess I did my set in about 10 minutes. I had to cut the old grips off, as they were corded. Plus, I don't have a "tube" yet for taking the old grips off with air.

I still use the double sided tape, but when I cut off a grip, I just use the tape that is there. If I had a bare shaft, I would still use the grip tape, as I kind of like to know there is something sticky in there, but that's just me. A roll of 2" tape will do like 5 sets of clubs or something, so it's not really that expensive.

It's nice not to have my hands drenched in solvent. Plus the speed of not having to clean the old tape off. And the bonus of being able to swing the club RIGHT THEN is nice too.

I don't think I'd use the air if the epoxy was still setting. Of course, I wouldn't be putting the grips on conventionally either if the epoxy in the head was still setting.

To build a club, I suppose I'd use the tour van stuff, wait the 5 minutes or 10 minutes for it to set, then cut the shaft to size, then blow on the grip. Could have a new club BUILT and PLAYABLE in 15 minutes. Easy.

Once I get the removal with air down, I'll be able to fit different grips to my friend's clubs, let them try them out, then remove and re-use them while they try a different grip. Awesome.

I have an up to 135PSI Porter Cable pancake compressor that I mainly used for trim work in my house. Works like a charm for that and for this.

Thanks for the idea!

Augster said:
Once I got it going, I would guess I did my set in about 10 minutes. I had to cut the old grips off, as they were corded. Plus, I don't have a "tube" yet for taking the old grips off with air.

I have an up to 135PSI Porter Cable pancake compressor that I mainly used for trim work in my house. Works like a charm for that and for this.

Thanks for the idea!
That is the compressor I have, so I may try this next time, sounds like it may be quick.

A couple other questions. With that compressor, what did you set it at, Dirtman said 60-80, closer to 60 or closer to 80?

Second question, I assume you use a needle that works for filling basketballs, and such in the hole in the end of the grip, is that correct?

Can you do this O.K. With Corded Grips, couldn't tell from your comment?

What is the "Tube" you mention for removing the grips with air, one of these?
http://www.golfsmith.com/products/1819

I just got to experimenting with air and re-gripping my GS-10s. Had a couple blow up and explode trying to remove them. Left the old tape in place. Used about 40lbs of air installing the new grips. Use a blow gun with a rubber tip on the hole end of the grip. Just grab the grip about mid way and push toward the club head while applying the air pressure. I haven't used anything for lube and the grips go on slicker than snot on a doorknob.

Another thing for removing grips with air and to keep them from ballooning, take a piece of fabric and wrap it fairly tightly around the grip. I was taking the grip off a putter (with tape to cut a couple inches off the shaft) today and it was about to pop on me so I wrapped my golf towel around it and let it have a full burst, was quite a pain getting it to break loose from the tape but I don't have to buy a new putter grip. The blower attachment I use was included with the compresser and has a tip about the same size as the hole in the grip. Anyhow, if your concerned about the grip over expanding wrap something around it once you get it started. I would probably do this if using cord grips as I removed a cord grip on a wedge and noticed the cords were coming out of the grip from over expansion (it was taped on too though and taped grips tend to balloon).

FKA Pa Jayhawk said:
That is the compressor I have, so I may try this next time, sounds like it may be quick.

A couple other questions. With that compressor, what did you set it at, Dirtman said 60-80, closer to 60 or closer to 80?

Second question, I assume you use a needle that works for filling basketballs, and such in the hole in the end of the grip, is that correct?

Can you do this O.K. With Corded Grips, couldn't tell from your comment?

What is the "Tube" you mention for removing the grips with air, one of these?
http://www.golfsmith.com/products/1819

No, not like that. From what I've read, just a piece of PVC that is just a little wider than the grip itself. I guess the theory is to blow in the air while the PVC is surrounding the grip, then, when the end of the grip expands, instead of exploding, the grip hits the firm sides of the PVC and since the air can't dent the PVC, it tries to escape further down the grip unsticking the grip from the tape.

At least, that's how I read/imagine it.

Another thing I read is to use about a 10" piece of those tubes that older bags have in them to separate clubs into their own tube. You know what I mean?

A basketball needle didn't work for me as it's slimmer than the hole, so the air just escapes. There is an attachment head that you can buy that is mainly used for inflating like blow-up toys like beach balls and the such. Force that attachment into the end of the grip and it stops the air from escaping that way. I suppose you could push the entire needle in and use the base of it to cover the hole. Didn't occur to me to try that as I had that attachment sitting there.

I think I bought mine for like $10 from Menards.

Corded grips, in case you haven't noticed, are made out of a much firmer rubber and are built to use for multiple seasons. Because of this, they tend to crack. Most of my grips had small cracks in them up near the end cap where they bang around against each other in the bag.

If your grip has even a small crack in it, you won't be able to blow it off, because the air just escapes. Putting them on will work just fine, obviously, as the grips are new and don't have any wear and tear cracks in them yet.

But I did have a few of the corded without the cracks in them, and those blew up about half way down, then exploded (while trying to remove). It's kind of neat actually. Kind of like a snake eating a mouse. The "mouse" is creeping down the shaft, then BLAM! LOL! I need a piece of PVC I think.:)

I set the compressor at about 70. It's kind of dark under my workbench, so I just kind of put it between the 60 and the 80. 60, I'm sure, is more than enough.

Thanks!!! The tube makes sense, probably the same idea as what Dirtman mentioned about wrapping a towel around the grip. I have the attachment you are talking about already. Good to hear you can put the cord grips on when they are new. I don't really care if I have to cut the old ones off, as it only take a couple seconds and they are long since dead when I replace them. Probably won't get a chance to try this out for a while since I just regripped with Cords in September or October, and just redid my putter a couple weeks ago. I definately think I will give it a shot when the time comes.

Thanks Again.

Rather than start a new thread:

I just blew a grip off a shaft for the first time. Kind of fun really. I made a protector tube by sewing a tube in a piece of fabric. Sewing was the hard part, but you learn to do some strange things when you're single.

Fabric may be better than a plastic tube because it allows you to hold and pull on the grip through the fabric.

This was an almost new New Decade Multicompound that I was too cheap to throw away. Now to try blowing it on my 4 wood..............

I still haven't tried this. I should have on the 2 wedges I just did, but I was in a hurry to get it done as I had a round scheduled for the following morning, and didn't even think about the compressor.

I may have to give it a shot though, I did pick up an extra grip, so I would have one around if needed. My Corded Tour Wraps still seem good enough to start the year with, they really seem to last alot longer than standard grips.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,420

eclark53520

3. 15,300