• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Anyone not sure if they like the new high MOI drivers?

cyberious

Planet Love Tron
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if I like all of this airtime with my driver. Here in Florida I always preferred a mid trajectory that hit and ran out. You know looked like a bullet for a hundred yards or so and then rapidly climbed up. With my Burner TP in 9.5* I just hit it off the planet but get little roll. I will save my Burner TP for rainy days when I need lots of carry but am going to begin testing an older R7 Quad TP in 8.5* with the Graphite Design PM 702. Once I get it all put together and test it I'll let you know how it works out. Maybe in a head to head test.

I kinda had the same feeling that you did, but then I hit a few of the Big drivers, and I was flying my ball that had roll... Oh well

I like the forgiveness of the newer drivers, but I have the same problem you do when it comes to rollout, none. Great on rainy days, but I sure could use some roll out to help my overall distance. Trying a Geek DCT 9* to see if that'll do it for me. It is supposed to be a low launching head, I'll find out later this week (its currently sitting in the corner drying.) Spec'd out at 44", D3, spined/aligned Aldila NV 65 (TEE graphics), 30g back weight sitting in a Lamkin DDTC Tour grip.

Same here and since we play some of the same courses I'll be interested how it works out for you. I find it interesting that when I was using my R7 Quad I could occasionally bang it out to 320 or so but now I'm lucky to get 270. Had the same shaft in both clubs only difference was the head. Difference is definitely the ball flight.

Son-in-law recently got one of the new Cobra LD drivers. These have been getting excellent reviews. Last week, he sent it home with me to try for a couple of rounds. After 2 rounds, I'll keep the X460 in the bag.

Many can't get past the sound of the Cobra's. Yes, it's loud but that did not seem to bother me. Our course is tight and tree lined. You need to keep the ball in play but be able to work it left to right and right to left. The Cobra simply wanted to go straight. It was virtually impossible to fade and if you really did get it to turn over it was a smother hook instead of a draw. Straight as an arrow... fairly high ball flight... not as long as my Callaway.

I have a few bucks in gift certs built up at our local course from this summer's tourneys. Was really looking forward to thinking about replacing the X460 with something better. If the new LD's from Cobra are similar to most of the other high MOI drivers out there... I'll keep the X460 Tour for at least another season.

Your mileage may vary....

most of the new MOI drivers launch higher with more backspin - as they're designed to help golfers who struggle to hit the sweet spot consistently.

Nothing to stop great golfers using them - it just takes a bit of work to find the right combo - to keep the launch angle and spin rate down. Once you DO find it though - well, just check out Ernie's driving recently!!

I agree with Danny...you really need to experiment with shaft/loft combinations to get these to go as long as they are stable.

This last week I finally relegated my Wishon 919 to second bag status and may bump it to "rack patrol" behind two different TourSwing drivers as they are achieve or surpass the HI MOI in all categories, but are more playable, which the hi MOI's simply can't do (at least not in my hands).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520