• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Back in the game.....gear help please..thanks

T.Beau

Reaction score
Me = put down the clubs more than 10 years ago, thinking to stick to tennis. Now have a renewed passion and time to play golf again. I was a good golfer back in the day w. a constant 4-6 handicap. Weakness was shortgame and putting...strength was ball striking altho I wasnt particularly long.

Here's what I have/had in my bag, and I am wondering if I need to upgrade all my gear or not because I know the gear has really changed in the last decade.

Driver - When I quit it was a Big Bertha Warbird, stiff steel shaft and 9 degree loft. Head seems tiny compared to the current drivers, and feel sure a new driver is in order. After one trip to the range, I dont hit this club as far or as high as I used to. I think I can benefit from an upgrade

Fairway Wood - Taylormade 16 degree Raylor, s330 shaft.

Irons - Daiwa DG273 blade - 2 thru 11 - s300 - swingweight now seems too high to me at 60 years old and think it may be time to go to a regular shaft. Cleveland Classic 60 degree wedge

My questions:
-Are the newer irons of lighter swingweight? I think that I have lost clubhead speed due to age so therefore distance and ability to hit a high ball as required.
- I really prefer a traditional looking club having last played blades but realizing I need some game improvement features. Also played for years w. persimmon woods. So I need recommendations for a driver w. a conventional pear shape head and also cavity backs w. a thin top line and conventional headshape which are forgiving.
-Just before i quit 10 years ago, I tried a new Titleist ball <cant remember="" the="" name="" of="" and="" may="" have="" even="" had="" balata="" in="" it="">, but it was really HOT! but spun great and had the soft feel I like...are most of the balls these days hot like that? The balls still in my bag are the Titleist HP2 and the new ball I tried just before I quit was MUCH hotter

can folks here recommend how much of my gear I should scrap and based upon what I've said suggest some new gear for me? I'm not opposed to saving some money and buying last years stuff or even used. would really appreciate some help to get me back into the game. . I know that my best bet would be to try a bunch of different gear, but I think I need to at least put myself on the right track before being overwhelmed w. all the gear options, so have joined here to get some advice....this is my first post.... so far one trip to the range for me w. my old gear...felt good to hit balls again. thanks so much.</cant>

first, welcome to shottalk and welcome back to the game

lots of stuff to think about since you asked about the whole bag...
I think the best thing you can do would be to pay a visit to a local professional clubfitter

I'd guess you'd probably be better served by a few graphite shafts, at least in the woods, possibly throughout the set. Some hybrid irons might replace those hard-to-hit-consistently long irons.

I'd bet your ball striking will come around before you know it - so maybe pick up a new putter and wedges to start fresh (if that really was a weakness - although, it doesn't seem to be if you were a 4-5 cap :)

first, welcome to shottalk and welcome back to the game

lots of stuff to think about since you asked about the whole bag...
I think the best thing you can do would be to pay a visit to a local professional clubfitter

I'd guess you'd probably be better served by a few graphite shafts, at least in the woods, possibly throughout the set. Some hybrid irons might replace those hard-to-hit-consistently long irons.

I'd bet your ball striking will come around before you know it - so maybe pick up a new putter and wedges to start fresh (if that really was a weakness - although, it doesn't seem to be if you were a 4-5 cap :)

thanks man....appreciate it!

those are my thoughts altho the weakness in my short game has nothing to do w. equipment...i have wedges and putters which all work and feel just fine...its operator error ;)

everything else I think I can get a bump by going to more appropriate gear. I need to be more specific and then maybe you <or someone="" else=""> can better help me.

Here are my thoughts.......

I dont think i want to get involved in customfitting..i like to think that I should be able to adapt to anything reasonable for my skillset....soooo

Driver: Present one is too demanding. A problem I have w. the driver is I spin the ball too much, so if anyone can suggest something w. a lower spin rate? I'm all carry and no roll and feel like that is just how I swing...i'm sweeping the driver ok.

Was thinking of something like the Mizuno MP600 as I can tweak that for ball flight and such..is that a good driver? I like that it is 45 inches. Dont have many demo opportunities nearby and am not inclined to drive far to demo lots of gear. I found it for a reasonable amount but w. two diff shafts..wwhich shaft do folks like better? the Fujikura E-360 or Exsar DS3? Think the Exsar is the newer one? I am willing to take a flyer on this one but not sure of which loft and flex. Instincts tell me 10.5 and standard flex if someone can tell me these shafts arent whippy. I was driving in the 250 range before..a little less now as the warbird is too much stick for me now and I am 10 years older

Hybrid - Thought to buy one hybrid and learn how to use it..am open to suggestions...something to replace the 2 and 3 iron in my bag.

So am thinking of starting out with only these changes and taking my time to replace the irons with something steel shafted, forgiving, w. a reg flex. this should get me back on the course again.

Thanks for enduring this long post...</or>

Welcome to Shot Talk!

If you're just getting back into the game, I'd actually suggest a Callaway Ft-i driver. They can be had for pretty cheap now on Cally pre owned.

Hybrids I'd suggest Cobra Bafflers. They are stupid easy to hit, and the DWS' can be found very reasonable now that the TWS' have come out.

As far as which shaft you'd need, thats really more of a feel thing. That and you really need to get your swing speed checked to know what flex you need.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520