• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ben Hogan Apex Pro...

AaA

Feb 22, 2005
Has anyone played with these before? I've read many reviews on them from golfreview.com and they all seem to be glowing. I was curious if any of the members on this board have opinions to share, both positive and negative.

Thanks!

I liked the feel of the Hogan's, but not the setup. But that's just me.

Go out and hit a set, see if you like 'em. From the reviews and experience, they seem to be a great set.

Cheers,

R35

Rockford,

What did you not like about the setup? Would you mind elaborating?

Thanks!

AaA,

For me, it's all about how the clubface frames the ball. The topline of the club, how big/small the face is in relation to the ball, the sole thickness. For some clubs, it isn't my fancy. The Hogan's are borderline for me.

To put it differently, if someone gave me a set, i'd play them. But, I wouldn't buy a set because I have many others that look better to my eye. It's totally personal.

If you grab a club off the shelf and have a look at it, sometimes your eye just says no. It's true that "if it works, use it". But for something like this, you have to be 100% commited to use it, or you won't. It's as simple as that. If you hate the look, you won't want to use them.

Hogan makes great clubs and balls, don't get me wrong. My personal preference should NEVER influence your decision before you trying them out. It's totally in the eye of the guy using the sticks.

They're fantasically made and great feeling clubs tho. If I could hit them with my eyes closed, i'd pick up a set. Just my feelings tho, nothing more.

Good luck in your search!

R35

Cool. I'm always curious to see how people react to certain clubs from an aesthetic point of view. I'm definitely gonna try them out.

Thanks again, Rock!

No worries.

Yes, definitely try them out. They could be the cat's meow to you.

Good luck, and let us know how it went. I'm curious to hear about your selections, likes and dislikes, ect.

R35

I've been playing the hogan apex edge pro series irons for 2 years now. There is NOTHING like the feel of hogan irons. There is a "snap" sound when you hit it just right. The ball is like a laser beam right at the flag. The are workable, have awesome feedback and my distance control is amazing. Mis-hit shots go straight but about 10 yards short. My one friend tried mine one day, the next day he bought a set.

These irons also have "frequency tuned" shafts. This is where to do some tests on the harmonic frequency of the shafts or something like that and they match all the closest ones up. So the shafts are all matched.

These are golf clubs.

That's exactly what I heard, Media. Just about everything you said, from the feel, feedback, and shaft matching, sounds pretty unbeatable. Thanks for your input!

So I bought the Hogans this weekend and played a round with them. My game was off, but I'm not blaming the clubs. I only got to hit a couple dozen balls at the range before hand so I didn't get much practice.

The one thing I noticed right away was the response you get from the club on both good and bad hits. It really lets you know right away. As for the the good hits, they felt so clean and solid.

I was hitting the ball fat all day long and I realized I was trying to hard to smash the ball. I took an easy 3 Iron off the fairway after a nice drive and belted it close to 200yds. And I mean it was easy...probably my lightest swing all day, but I hit it right on the money and the ball really took off.

I don't have much else to say as I have only played one round, but I'm very satisfied with my purchase (brand new on ebay for $330). I look foward to many more rounds with these clubs.

Featured Reviews

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54