• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Book Report: Search for the Perfect Golf Club

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Search for the Perfect Golf Club" by Tom Wishon

This is a great book! I have read several books on golf, and this has to be one of the best out there that deals stictly with golf clubs.

The book takes a look at all aspects of golf club performance and design in an easy to understand and entertaining way. Starting with the basics of identifying the different aspects of the golf club, the book progresses into a great reference manual that will help the reader understand how the different components come together in an effort to assist the reader in eventually selecting the right clubs for their own individual game. Having worked for several companies designing and building clubs, Tom has a lot of insights into the marketing strategies that manufacturers use and arms you with information to prevent you from purchasing based on hype and marketing. He gets down to the raw facts about club performance that will allow the reader to make educated decisions or ask the right questions about a golf club before the purchase decision. By asking the right questions and getting the correct specifications for your game, your next set of golf clubs should last you a long time and you can avoid constantly buying a new set because the last set did not work for you.

I was impressed with Tom's ability to avoid plugging his own line of equipment (although there was a brief reference or two) and give the reader the straight stuff on modern equipment. While he is strictly against going into a shop and buying a set off of the rack, he is not preaching that you avoid the OEM's. His biggest suggestion is to get properly fitted and get your specifications so that when you do go buy a set of clubs, you know what you need rather than buying what is available. Buying used clubs, clubs on Ebay, and off the rack clubs are OK as long as the set meets your specifications or you have the set adjusted to your specifications. Ideally, you would have a set custom built for your swing, but if you can find a set that meets your specs elsewhere, go for it.

It was a very entertaining read and I learned quite a bit more about golf clubs. Tom has several suggestions on improving your game through selecting the right clubs and having the correct set make up (one of his pet peaves with OEM manufacturers is the classic 3-PW iron sets as most golfers can not hit a 3 or 4 iron well enough to carry it.) I would highly recommend this book to anyone that is thinking about buying new clubs or is currently shopping for new clubs as it will likely save you some time and money by avoiding some of the major pitfalls.

I bought the book at Amazon for $16.47 and it was worth every penny.

I think he should have just talked to Peter Kessler.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520