• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Coming from 1 back

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Reaction score
Hey, im currently playing a tourney at Swan-E-Set golf club (BC, where parts of happy gilmore were shot) and kinda tripped up down the stretch in the first round (2 round tourney). i was +1 with a 2 shot lead through 15, and then once reaching my 7th fw bunker of the day on 16, i yet again skulled it out and over the green... back pin, and tried to get cute with it, ended up in a solid triple bogey. I stuck in though and focused and par par to finish for a 76.

So im coming from 1 behind, anyone have any advice on coming from behind and putting pressure on the guy ahead of me? (first tourney in a spot to win, 3rd place is 5 back, so its a 2 man race). Just keep playing fw, green, fw, green and keep making pars? or should i just go flag hunting and really get pressure on him? any thoughts?

Well, play it safe and just pace the fellow until the last few. Then keep pace on him, but if oppurtunity arises(if you aren't in the lead by then), risk it and take the shot.

Also, on short putts where it could be you or him, and you both know it's important, go first, like Tiger did last sunday.

Also, another little mental tactic, purposely let him out drive you. You're first to shoot at the green, make a good shot, and he'll obsess over getting inside of you.

I learned the hard way about playing in tourney competition but it served me very well.

Our club plays in an annual "Ryder Cup-type" event in late May against three other clubs. As you can imagine the pressure is very intense and it is common for 30-50 people to be watching late in a round when it is close...

The first year I played, I tried to "force birdies" and ended up playing like a dog. The next time, I told myself to 'play for par' and I played really well...I had a ton of pars and two birdies (also had a couple of doubles and several bogies as well). In this regard my score was only 2-3 strokes better than normal so it wasn't a career round by any means, but I learned that it is far better to take a strategy on making them beat you, than trying to force something.

98% of golfers cannot "force birdies" at will. I am in this 98% and for me I learned long ago that "birdies happen"...you've got to let it happen. I really believe this...

So your thoughts are "fairways and greens" and two putt for par. If you hit a lousy drive, think..."hit it close to the green and get up and down for par".

If the guy beats you with a ton of pars and several birdies, walk away knowing that you didn't blow it...didn't gag. You got beat fair and square...

It is a very helpful mindset and of course when you see him exhibit weakness...stay the course and keep you confidence high. Envision where you want your shot to go...Visualize when under pressure.

Ditto. Play it safe.. shoot for par. If you land some birdies, then that's just a little more morale boost.

The opponent see's you shooting solid, accurate shots, he is liable to try and get fancy to show you up. Thus he runs the risk of blowing it. Then you walk right on by, take par when he is hoping for bogeys.. you win. :)

Well you're +4 and only 1 back. Therefore you should play for 18 pars. Middle of the green every time, unless it's a sand wedge or if you get in the zone. The guy ahead of you will then realize that you're not going to bottle it by making a stupid mistake. Quality of the bad shots and all that I'm afraid. Good luck though!

that was smooth....

well. i f*cked it up.... first tee shot he went first (weird reverse order thing) and hooked it into ESA, then i stand up and somehow did the same thing. THEN he does the same thing the next hole, and i pipe my drive. That was pretty much where the round ended. I went for the green for some smart reason, and ended up with a double (sliced into esa). So im +4 after two, it was touch and go for the rest of the 9, he ended with 40, me 41 (tough weather and neither of us playing well).

Through 14 im actually tied with him (dont know this at the time, found out after round) and then sliced another shot into esa (i hit into 8 hazards all day) then hit my approach chunky into bunker, made double, then another double, then hit a perfect drive on the next par 5, then pulled the two iron into MORE ESA!!!!!!!!...... another double... so now im even worried about keeping 2nd. The guy in 3rd made bird, so now im 2 back of him, no chance at the win... but made 3 pars in and he blew up on 18 thx to my dirty match play tactics (told him he was 1 up on me, i gained one back on 16 from him... dirty i know, but u gota do wat u gota do...)

So after a solid 84 (first round in the last 12 or so over 80) i end up second.... kinda depressing.... but next tourney is on my home course, so im guna be ready for that one. (and stick to my safe play, no going for the stupid par 5s in 2.....)

It's a learning experience. But I have but one question. If you were shooting a lot into the ESA why play so aggresive, and further, why not take out your V-Steel from the tee or your 2i TP? If I can guess correctly, and I believe I can, then you should be able to fly your 2i at least 240, which should be sufficient on most holes on any course.

What kind of tour is this? Hard luck on the round but hey, it happens. You still got 2nd

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520