• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Correctly fitted clubs?

How much did these things cost you Augster? What sorta expenses are there for grips and grip take etc.?

Which things exactly? I can run through my setup.

I had a shop vise on my workbench already. I also already had a hacksaw for cutting shafts. A propane torch is about $10 at Home Depot.

I bought the basic clubmakers kit from Golfsmith for $100. That had a basic Swingweight machine, a good how-to book, some 1" grip tape (never used, always use 2") some sandpaper, a 48" steel ruler for measuring clublength, some grip solvent, some ferrules etc. and some epoxy.

I got a used Loft/Lie machine (Golfworks) off Ebay for $175.

I bought a magnetic protractor to measure the loft/lie for $16.99. I bought a lie board for $12.99.

I got the Extractor XT from Ebay for shaft extraction for $40 I think.

I bought JB' Spine-align tool off Ebay for $50.

Bought a used Wishon MOI-machine, 1st generation, for $225.

Those are the main things that I use. I also have bought 2" tape ($9) and a tape removal tool for $15. I bought a grip removal tool for $20 and a wirebrush for hosel cleaning for $16. I also have a shaft tip guage that cost about $9. I had a utility knife and a heat gun. I also have extra ferrules, hosel weights, and tungsten in grain form. I also have a can of Acetone, but it's like $3 from Home Depot and not really worth mentioning.

The last expensive thing I bought was a scale in order to measure weights. I needed this to go with the MOI machine. It was $60.

I think that's about it. I forgot the most important thing, Common Sense Clubfitting by Tom Wishon. Great, great book. $50.

What's the total?

All in all, a little over $800 invested. Epoxy costs around $10 each time you run out.

The only thing I'm missing IMO is a frequency analyzer and a launch monitor. There's always next year. :)

It all depends on what you want to do and how deep into it you want to get. If you want to just pull your own shafts when you feel the whim, it's pretty cheap. Get an inexpensive extractor off of Ebay, a propane torch and a hacksaw and you're in business (as long as you have the vise already).

I think that's about it. I forgot the most important thing, Common Sense Clubfitting by Tom Wishon. Great, great book. $50.

I have been looking for this book for a long time with out any luck.

I have been looking for this book for a long time with out any luck.

The only way I know how to get it is through his website. It is a great, great book. More information than anyone needs to really know. Tom knows it all, and it's really kind of him to share all that info in a semi-easy to read format.

Wishon is kind of odd. His site only sells to clubfitters. To even look at the online catalog, you need to register. You can lie about the equipment you have and how many sets of clubs you build in a year if need be. In a day or two Matt will kick you an email letting you know if you've been "accepted" or not and give you an account number and password. Then you are free to browse all his stuff at your leisure.

If you don't want to go through those steps, you could always Paypal, or send it via check or money order through the USPS, the money to me and I'd place the order for the book for you and send it to you when I get it.

If you like to peruse Golfsmith and Golfworks, definitely get set up with a Wishon account. He makes just excellent stuff IMO, and most of the stuff is way inexpensive. I currently play with his Smooth 6 putter and his SW. I have a Hybrid 5-iron on its way that should get to me on Tuesday. I'll see if it replaces my current 5-iron on my way to more and more hybrids.

Hey Lyle.

I just popped on the Wishon site and his new book is out, "The Search for the Perfect Driver". I am planning on picking it up ASAP, but I'll delay my order until Monday. If you want to get that and/or common sense clubfitting, PM me. I'll be ordering Monday.

His site gives some great info.Shaft weight AS important as shaft flex,and torque much less so.I think everytime someone says they are going to add 4 grams of lead to a 460 head I will just post a link to his site.

Whoah,what a great site........

Never assume just because a golfer hits the ball far that they need a tip firm shaft. The release move is a better indicator for tip half flexibility than distance, by far. And never assume just because a golfer has a slower swing speed that they need a tip flexible shaft – if they have a very late release and slow swing, the butt flex can be very flexible to match the swing speed but the tip section stiffness within that overall softer flex can still be chosen to be firm.

Inspired by this thread,I have just read Wishon's tech pages and then studied Grafalloys spec pages.The differences are small in shaft weight,torque,etc etc etc but the biggest differences are in tip length.Wishon discusses the importance of matching the players swing moves to the right shaft specs and he makes reference to head weight,which if course most players will not know.

It seems I have accidently stumbled on the right shaft for me,using Wishons opinions as a guide.Its no wonder the Prolite 35s made such a huge difference to me compared to the Cleveland gold,the tips are poles apart.

I have a new found respect for shafts and how they should be matched to a swing.Before I didn't really care because the shafts I used had similar specs but since then I have hit a V2 UST in a 905 and couldn't get the thing airbourne.I now know why.

I find his opinions on the downswing move of the player to be very interesting,and then you have to match the shaft length,tip,head weight and shaft weight to this move.Torque isn't as important apparently.

If you guys would have gotten on board and put your name in for my copy of Wishon's "Search for the Perfect Golf Club", you'd know all of the above beforehand.

Wishon's book is incredible and dives into the realm of golf clubs that everyone overlooks. I took his advice for the shafts in my driver, irons and wedges and I've never been more happy.

Read that book. It will change your perspective on everything.

R35

I believe im next on the list for that book:D

If you guys would have gotten on board and put your name in for my copy of Wishon's "Search for the Perfect Golf Club", you'd know all of the above beforehand.

Wishon's book is incredible and dives into the realm of golf clubs that everyone overlooks. I took his advice for the shafts in my driver, irons and wedges and I've never been more happy.

Read that book. It will change your perspective on everything.

R35

If I get that book how will I be able to sneer arrogantly at the shaft geeks again? I will be a hypocrit:)

But having stopped for a nano-second and thought about shaft specs i think I need to get that book

If I get that book how will I be able to sneer arrogantly at the shaft geeks again? I will be a hypocrit:)

But having stopped for a nano-second and thought about shaft specs i think I need to get that book

It's a great read. There's some technical, but nothing too in depth.

R35

it's on amazon uk for just over £10 - so i'm gonna get it...

it's amazing the amount of golfers out there - who pay almost no consideration to their type of clubs, shafts, balls - or really try and improve their game within their own sphere.

i just like to take any blame away from anything other than ME

After reading up on things at Wishon's site, I decided to get some custom irons made for me by one of the clubfitters recommended on his site (Match Play of Pinehurst in Southern Pines, NC). Like Augster, I had these irons MOI matched and I honestly can't tell you if I am swignin the 4 iron or the lob wedge if I have my eyes closed. Like Augster again, I am still having trouble with the Driver and three wood though. I wholeheartedly agree on the need for custom fitting even if I am still searching for the "perfect driver".

GWLee,

What did you pay for your irons? I wanted to compare to what the Oregon recommended clubfitter quoted me (seemed a bit steep at $100-$130/club, plus $125 for clubfitting)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520

3. 15,300