• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Custom

Adam Pettman

Reaction score
How many people custom make their own clubs.
I recently learnt the basics of assembling custom clubs and now I'm hooked.
Any tips would be appreciated. Best makes of heads or shaft or actual tips on assembling them. Basically anything you think would help.

:sc: :ukflag: :sc:

You can not build truely custom club unless you know the slope to build to (no one is the same) and what stiffness or frequency the player needs to within + or - 4CPM. Heads are heads and shafts are shafts until you build them to the Frequency and slope the player plays on.

Recommendations for club components

I've been hooked for about 4 years now, and I've built several sets and individual clubs for folks all over the US and Europe.

My recommendation for clubheads are anything by Acer, PowerPlay, or Synchron. GolfSmith has top notch components too, but they're almost a brand themselves, and priced a little high to me.

Put them together with shafts by Aldila, Grafalloy, or UST and you've got a great set!

Frequency? yeah, you need to make sure it's consistent from club to club inside a set.

Slope? maybe that's an UK term for Lie? not sure

But go ahead and give it a try!

Lloyd makes a good point.

Any monkey can build a set of clubs. But matching swingweight to a player as well as getting the slope right (that's the same frequency from club to club on a frequency slope) is as important as what pieces you put together.

It seems easy, but there's alot more to it than just glueing shit together.

Good luck with it, sounds like you're on your way to learning as much as you can!:)

I also will put in two bits for Wishon Golf. His stuff gets rave reviews and even made Golf Digest's list for Hot Stuff for 2006!

R35

how do powerplays compare to the real thing they model?

i've been looking at the TM RAC Lt knockoff, the Powerplay Select 5000's would you happen to have any feedback on those? i too am looking to start making clubs starting this summer, but find that golfsmith's prices are just as high if not higher than getting used OEM products on ebay. i could get the whole set of these for under $250 assembled with TT DGS300's and golf pride tour velvets, or i could order the set of heads for $70 and do everything myself. any thoughts would be appreciated

Rockford35 said:
I also will put in two bits for Wishon Golf. His stuff gets rave reviews and even made Golf Digest's list for Hot Stuff for 2006!

R35

Wishon makes good stuff. I have a lot of his designs in my arsenal from his days at Golfsmith and have zero complaints. Personally, I have only dealt with Golfsmith and Golfworks, but I would have no problems recommending Wishon as well judging from his previous design work. If I ever do go to forged clubs, I will probably end up with Wishons or Maltby M45s.

Slope is the change in frequency from club to club. The standard is about 4.5 CPM per 1/2" but if properly fitted you will find every player plays on a slope of his own. Analyzing a data base of 300 players an average slope was about 2 to 2.5 CPM per club.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520