• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dead Car- again

I think I might have this GD thing figured out. I read that cold start mixture is controlled by the MAP sensor. Once the Oxygen sensor reaches a certain temp. it takes over and runs in a "closed loop" with the ECU. The symtoms are what a bad MAP would produce. That would explain why it runs fine once it's warm, why it runs fine after driving and sitting a short time and why the longer it sits, the harder it is to start.

Unfortunately nobody has one and they are $86 at the cheapest place to order. I found a place online where I can get new NKG wires and a MAP for $107.

If this isn't it, I also read about the crank position sensor. Basically the car only fires when the #1 cylinder is at top dead center. CPS figures this out I guess. So if that were bad then it's just not telling the ignition to fire.

I've already been through everything else on the list pretty much. This is the next step. Wish me luck. If I get this thing starting smooth and can clear the CEL, I think it's going straight up trade for an F150 4x4 if the finance company will let me swap titles.

I think the MAP sensor is a really good idea...

Me thinks if the CPS was moved/broken it wouldnt fire at all...but then, wierder things have happend.

Hopefully thats the issue and you can get this resolved and have a reliable car underneath you again.

MAP sensor sounds like a great idea, Ez. Hopefully this will take care of it.

What year f150? We've got an 02, perfect shape, low miles, all paid for. I drove it for a while, until gas was so expensive and I could no longer afford it. Got a little car, and payments on that plus gas was cheaper than driving the truck. Now gas is cheap, and I'm stuck with the car. :(

MAP sensor sounds like a great idea, Ez. Hopefully this will take care of it.

What year f150? We've got an 02, perfect shape, low miles, all paid for. I drove it for a while, until gas was so expensive and I could no longer afford it. Got a little car, and payments on that plus gas was cheaper than driving the truck. Now gas is cheap, and I'm stuck with the car. :(

Probably around that year. Book on my car is $10K but realistically, if I can clear the CEL and get it running good, I'd be happy with @ $7250-$7500. I'd be looking to just trade it straight up but haven't looked into Ford's drivetrains in those years. I used to love the I6 300's. Had more torque than the 302 and a lot better mileage. Not to mention it's my firm belief that an inline motor is just better mechanically, obviously better torque transfer. I'd also like to get a manual transmission if possible... clutches are easy, 4-5spd. auto's are expensive.

I could make money on the side with a truck as well. The fun factor is certainly over for me with the Prelude.

Ford has had a lot of fun with their sparkplugs lately. The 97-03 trucks ( and other Fords with the same engines ) have a tendency to eject their plugs with some significant force (!). Ford 'fixed' that in the 11th generation, like my '07, and now people, even Ford mechanics, often can't get them out. It can be a day-long project, or more, to change the plugs. Some people talk about simply trading them in rather than deal with it (!).

Otherwise, though, they are great trucks. I love my '07 FX4. It gets better mileage *towing* than my friends' Duramaxes do. That said, I like my friend's Powerstroke F-250 a lot, too, is it an incredible tow vehicle. You are going to lose about half your towing capacity by going with a manual transmission, fwiw.

Ford has had a lot of fun with their sparkplugs lately. The 97-03 trucks ( and other Fords with the same engines ) have a tendency to eject their plugs with some significant force (!). Ford 'fixed' that in the 11th generation, like my '07, and now people, even Ford mechanics, often can't get them out. It can be a day-long project, or more, to change the plugs. Some people talk about simply trading them in rather than deal with it (!).

Otherwise, though, they are great trucks. I love my '07 FX4. It gets better mileage *towing* than my friends' Duramaxes do. That said, I like my friend's Powerstroke F-250 a lot, too, is it an incredible tow vehicle. You are going to lose about half your towing capacity by going with a manual transmission, fwiw.

My plugs have never been ejected. :D Never heard that before.

Why is you towing capacity lower with manual?

I don't tow. If I did, I'd have kept up on the payments of my old truck. '02 Dodge 2500 4x4 w/Cummins turbo. 480ft. lbs. baby.
icon10.gif
I miss that thing so much right now with all this snow. I used to have to put it nuetral at stoplights in low 4... brakes couldn't hold it back while idling.

My plugs have never been ejected. :D Never heard that before.

Why is you towing capacity lower with manual?

Well obviously not every truck spits out the plugs. That said...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_spark.html

The towing capacity drops with the manual transmission because those transmissions just aren't built as tough. They figure the only buyers who would spec the manual are the cheap bastards looking to buy the absolute cheapest truck possible. I'm not sure they're right, but that's how it works. The only exception is some years of Rams where you can get the Cummins with a real industrial-strength manual. Truck buying is pretty easy compared to cars; if all you want is torque, buy a Dodge/Cummins. If you want a cushy ride, get a Chevy. If you want a decent combination, get a Ford. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, get a Tundra.

Well obviously not every truck spits out the plugs. That said...

Consumer complaints about Ford Engines - Spark Plug Defect

The towing capacity drops with the manual transmission because those transmissions just aren't built as tough. They figure the only buyers who would spec the manual are the cheap bastards looking to buy the absolute cheapest truck possible. I'm not sure they're right, but that's how it works. The only exception is some years of Rams where you can get the Cummins with a real industrial-strength manual. Truck buying is pretty easy compared to cars; if all you want is torque, buy a Dodge/Cummins. If you want a cushy ride, get a Chevy. If you want a decent combination, get a Ford. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, get a Tundra.

I agree with your assessment on trucks. I've had a bunch, but no Fords. My next truck might be a Ford, since they told the government to pound sand with the bail-out money.

I had a 1995 regular cab, 12 valve Cummins five speed. Awesome truck. Four inch full exhaust, and a power plate and different turbo settings. 38 pounds of boost, about 230 horses and well over 700 lbs/ft of torque. Yummy. I outran a non turbo Dodge Stealth up a hill, pulling a camper!

That spark plug thing is crazy!

My dad got me a MAP sensor for Christmas. Unfortunately, not the problem. Put it in and tried to start the car 60-70 times. Didn't try to fire once. I even pulled the plugs out and cleaned them off and dried them. Still nothing. This thing is driving me up a wall. He's got a car I borrow so I'm thinking of having my Honda towed to his house and swap. I may end up having to buy another junk Prelude or at least complete engine, strip mine to basically block with heads and replace every single thing to find the problem. It's a b!tch when you take a car to the dealer and they say "umm... we have no idea sir". I know the internals of the engine are good but that's about it.

I'm officially throwing in the towel. Having it towed to a shop specializing in Honda/Acura's. Hopefully they can figure it out quick... $76/hr.
icon9.gif
Oh well, has to be done I suppose. Guess I know where my income tax return is most likely headed.

I'm officially throwing in the towel. Having it towed to a shop specializing in Honda/Acura's. Hopefully they can figure it out quick... $76/hr.
icon9.gif
Oh well, has to be done I suppose. Guess I know where my income tax return is most likely headed.

Damn Ez, hate to hear your still having problems with it. Hopefully this shop will figure it out and it won't cost you too much. Best of luck !!!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520