• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Demo day (kinda)

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
There were 3 reps at the range today (Mizzy, Titty and Cleveland) and I got to spend an hour there playing around. I must say I was very impressed (by one club in particular that I never imagined I would be)

I hit the following:

Irons (all played in DG S300):

Mizuno MP-60 (I already own these but I wanted to hit them in DG as opposed to my DG SL) I have already commented on how much I like these. I definitely prefer the DG over the SL, but that is something I'll need to learn to live with

Titleist 695 CB ok - nothing really special. My least favorite of the group, a lower ballflight than the MP-60 and the 735 CM.

Titleist 735 CM - these were my favorite which I know is just a club ho thing, and in all reality my MP-60's are just as nice or better. I really liked the weight, and sound these clubs made at impact. Traj was about the same as the MP-60 and the feel was crisper and not as muted as the MP-60. A very solid club that I could play and recommend. I'll stick with my MP-60 for now though ;)

Drivers:

Cleveland Hi-Bore (8.5 with NV and 9.5 with stock Fuji S flex)

This club just weirded me out at address. I couldn't tell if I should tee the ball low, or tee it high? The club was relatively straight or fades (which is weird for me since I fight a hook). I wasn't happy with the traj with either set-up and I don't think I hit it any further than my Launcher 400.

Cleveland Launcher 460 Comp (with stock Fuji S flex)

Hit about 5 balls and knew it was nothing special. Maybe I was tiring but I had trouble making solid contact LOL. I was excited to try this club since I am looking at getting into a 460 cc club and these can be found pretty cheap. Maybe a better shaft might make a difference.

Titleist 905R with (V2, Grafalloy Blue, Graphite Designs YS-6+ S flex)

This is the real deal. This club is a cannon, LONG and straight. I had a tough time with some of the stiffer shafts in this head (V2 and Blue) but the YS-6 was perfect. I bet I hit about 50 balls with this combo. I'd hit 7 or 8, go try some irons and then come back and do it all over again, all with the same results - straight down the pipe with a slight draw, exactly the shape I am looking for. The traj was higher than my launcher with blue with a longer carry and felt more solid. The driver feels alive, after playing the Blue for so long, I forgot what a livelier shaft feels like. It is on my VERY short list for a 460 cc driver.

Nice.

This is exactly what everyone should do, go out and try as much as they can before making an executive or stupid decision.

Personally, I'm not a Titleist guy, but alot of people swear by their drivers. To each their own, I guess.

It's also good to point out that one shaft that works for you now doesn't necessarily mean it's going to in another head. I'm a big beleiver that alot of the new stuff is all pretty damn close in terms of forgiveness, but launch and distance (carry) can be make or break with the right or wrong shaft.

Good review, VT.

R35

Rockford35 said:
Personally, I'm not a Titleist guy, but alot of people swear by their drivers. To each their own, I guess.

R35

I'm not either, but you can't ignore the results. Have you hit the 905R? This is their brand new offering and first at 460 cc. Try and find one to demo. I liked the YS-6 the best, but I'd bet you'd prob like the V2.

Nope. I won't try it.

I have a personal hatred for Titleist. I refuse to own or use any of their equipment. No matter how good it is.

Let's just say that around these parts, if you're a conceited *******, you play Titleist.

R35

Rockford35 said:
Nope. I won't try it.

I have a personal hatred for Titleist. I refuse to own or use any of their equipment. No matter how good it is.

Let's just say that around these parts, if you're a conceited *******, you play Titleist.

R35

What do you care what other people think? I didn't expect this from you of all people???

VT I totally get where Rock is coming from on this

Around here there is a Ping cult, one of the gals that works with my mother in law went as far as to tell her that the Clevelands my father in law got were not any different that Kmart clubs. Also that Callaways were about the same, she told my MIL that the Pings were the only major brand club that were truly high end, this would not mean much except that it really does seem to be an opinion shared by alot of people up here. The more I hear it, the less I like Ping. Far to much snob factor for me.

I personally don't care what other people think, if it works for me I use it.... we're talknig about major EOM's here that tour pros are playing. I can understand if you don't like the look or performance of a tool, but to cast something aside because other people you don't like play the same gear is a little on the petty and immature side if you ask me.

VT,

You make a good point, cuz I don't care. But, my brain doesn't want to be assosiated with dinks.

You know what I'm saying?

Plus, it helps that I think there are plenty of other clubs out there that are just as good if not better, so I don't think about it all that much.

I don't play Titleist or TM. I debated buying a set of 300 irons at one point, but opted out. Just personal preference, that's all.

I also don't judge anyone by what they play, except in this click around these parts. K-Mart irons or Honma, if you're playing golf, that's good enough for me.

Cheers,

R35

VtDivot said:
I'm not either, but you can't ignore the results. Have you hit the 905R? This is their brand new offering and first at 460 cc. Try and find one to demo. I liked the YS-6 the best, but I'd bet you'd prob like the V2.

If I ho a driver this year it will be a 905R with the YS-6 shaft. I'd never tried any titleist club before this one and I think they have winner. Just like you said, long and straight.

VtDivot said:
I personally don't care what other people think, if it works for me I use it.... we're talknig about major EOM's here that tour pros are playing. I can understand if you don't like the look or performance of a tool, but to cast something aside because other people you don't like play the same gear is a little on the petty and immature side if you ask me.

Again Rock hit the nail on the head, I just don't want to be lumped with the dinks. I don't mind being thrown in with morons or bums, just not dinks.:D

ho

So I just couldn't help myself.

Picked up the 905R for $320 shipped (more than my last 2 drivers combined - but hey I liquidated a bunch of sets of irons and some putters) I thought for a few minutes about the 905T with the same shaft for $150, but decided I wanted to try and get back into the 460cc range again.

If this experiment doesn't work out, I'll look at a tour issue Launcher or R7 with an open face.... and sell the Titty to someone here (minus R35 and Davebud LOL)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Who has been here?