• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dinner....

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I once made my way in this world as a chef. I was the executive chef in a place on the CT shore in 1991 and I pretty much haven't cooked since as I got tired of expending the effort only to be greeted with a chorus of "EEWWWW, that's sooo gross"

Ok, so the wife left me yesterday and the kids are with me.

In spite of having a touch of the flu I was inspired today.
My wife was in the habit of buying crappy steaks, top rounds mostly, flavorless and tough.

I had one of these unappealing slabs thawing on the counter today and I 'improved' it. :) Sliced it up and tossed in a marinade of oil, onions, lemon juice and seasonings. What a nice light, lemony marinade! Even one of the kids liked it.

I also (don't ask me why) made two loaves of fresh bread....I have to say that it is the best freaking bread I ever made.

On the bread, one comment was, "let's make all our bread from now on, screw buying it"

Could be the start of a comeback. ;)

Nice. :)

I have a Panasonic breadmaker that makes wonderful French bread. Warm and crunchy, smeared with gobs of butter. Yum. :D

Good for you!

Freshly baked bread is awesome. I know there is more "heart" in the stuff done by hand but I honestly can't tell the difference between that and the bread machine stuff.

Cooking is good for the soul. Eating's not bad either.

I want to start making bread. The year before last I spent the winter making pizza. Bought a scale, learned about baker's percentages, different yeasts, and different ways to proof dough. I made all different kinds of crusts; deep dish, cracker, NY style, Sicilian, crispy/chewy with honey. We ate different kinds of pizza, strombolis, and calzones all winter. Fantastic. Gained some weight though. I even though about building a wood fired stone oven in my backyard so I could cook pizzas at like 900*.

I would love to make bread, but just never got around to it. You should post pictures of your creations. I've been posting pictures of food on this musky fishing site I visit for years and guys love it. Lots of them invited me fishing because of it.

If you really get cooking again, post some pics. I love to see what skilled cooks can do. My best friend is a chef. He went to school at the CIA, and the things he can do are amazing.

Kevin

Sling,
Fantastic to hear. I really enjoy cooking and consider myself pretty good. I am not sure I would ever do it for a living even though it has been on the back of my mind, simply because I am not sure I could do so during the day, and am not willing to work nights or weekends with the current circumstances. I do however spend a great deal of time cooking, researching cooking and pride myself in having a good palette and being able to "Throw things together" that are just that damn good. So much so that I would actually considered taking Culinary classes even if it is just for cooking at home.

Do you have any recommendations on the best way to go about doing so??? I have the time, and can even venture into NYC. Any recommendations on forums or such on what the time constraints are for classes?? Kinda like one of those things were to me it may be worth the time and money even if it is for my own personal family benefit. Kinda borders with Golf as my ultimate hobby. It has always been another ongoing education for me.

Call it sad, call it what you want, but I TiVo more Cooking shows than any other and it is the ultimate way to spend extra time for me.

Classes?
I never took a class in my life.

I rarely use recipes either, too much like painting by numbers. ;)

Here's the bread....just simple Amish white.
bread.jpg

BTW, just like Golf Clubs, I have just finished out my Knife Set until I decide to ho again. Yeah, I am more of a knife ho that a club ho and spend about the same on each knife as I would a club. Took advantage of the Lenins and Things going out of business on a few of these, and got 3 of them for around $45.

Classes?
I never took a class in my life.

I rarely use recipes either, too much like painting by numbers. ;)

Here's the bread....just simple Amish white.
I simply refuse to do recipes. To me the only purpose of a recipe is if it is a very complex dish to simply make sure I remember everything, and more so when I am creating a shopping list. I really only measure with my hands. I usually shop a day at a time and usually just on what sounds good together.

I'm not much of a cook, but I bought my girl a set of Calphalon One Infused pots and pans.

I think they make her cook more, so I win.

However, I absolutely, LOVE LOVE to cook out. I cook on a huge Big Green Egg. Ribs, steaks, whole smoked turkeys, stuffed pork chops.. I do it all. Pizzas, smoked/grilled veggies.

I make all my own rubs, soak any wood I feel like using in marinades and brines.

Thats something I really, really love to do..

That's cool Sling, taking advantage of your do over right away.

I always thought that baking required fairly precise measurements, no? That bread looks great so if there is a recipe I wouldn't mind having it. The only one I have that's any good takes two days to make.

Featured Reviews

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54