• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

DIY - reshafting?

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone done it? Was it very difficult? Is this something I should leave to a professional?

Am looking at the possibility of throwing a new shaft into my driver and was quoted $120 by a clubmaker in town. I can almost buy a new stick for that with the shaft I want.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thnx

VtDivot said:
Anyone done it? Was it very difficult? Is this something I should leave to a professional?

Am looking at the possibility of throwing a new shaft into my driver and was quoted $120 by a clubmaker in town. I can almost buy a new stick for that with the shaft I want.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thnx

No it is actually pretty easy. Depending upon the shaft you want if you want I could post the stuff you need (the URL's) at golfsmith.com

You need shafting epoxy I prefer the 30/60, shafting beads, a little sandpaper, a new grip, grip sovent, grip tape, a ferrule, and of course the shaft. (about 40 bucks (depending on the amount of the above stuff you buy) or so plus the cost of the shaft.

The biggest difficulty is getting the old shaft out. Be careful of heat marks.

bdcrowe said:
The biggest difficulty is getting the old shaft out. Be careful of heat marks.

Yeah forgot about that you'll need a heat gun also. Maybe you could get your shop to remove the shaft?

I have a heat gun and am looking at getting a "pulled shaft" with grip. Is it a bad idea to go with a pulled shaft?

I haven't commited to this idea yet, but I'd like to maybe put this shaft in all my fairway metals as well, so this could be a huge cost savings.

VtDivot said:
Is it a bad idea to go with a pulled shaft?

Who knows where it's been? ;)

If a graphite shaft is pulled badly, like someone tries to twist it out, it can be ruined. Buyer beware.

Also, a pulled shaft has already been cut to length, so if it's not the length you want, you gotta pull the grip, cut, and re-grip. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I find trying to remove and save a grip is a major pain in the butt. I just cut them and regrip.

Great post, Loop, btw.

I'm pretty handy and looked into it because I have friends who do it. When I started looking at the manufacturers trimming instructions and trying to figure out how to make sure I got the spines aligned properly and all the other little details I decided to let a custom club builder do it for me. If I had more time I might still try it some day.

I even decided the same thing about grips. I like plain old Golfpride Victory grips which cost $2-3. Any shop will slip a new one on for about $5. I decided that was a lot cheaper than fooling around with it myself.

Believe me; I love fooling with this kind of stuff. It's just a practical thing. How often am I going to be re-shafting a club? If I thought I would be doing it several times a year, experimenting with new clubs all the time, it would be worthwhile, but for the occasional club?

Just another opinion.

Putting the shaft in is fairly easyunless it is a bore thru.

Using pulled shafts is great as long as you get them from a reputable source, say like me:) . Pulling your old shaft is going to be the hard part.

obagain said:
Putting the shaft in is fairly easyunless it is a bore thru.

Using pulled shafts is great as long as you get them from a reputable source, say like me:) . Pulling your old shaft is going to be the hard part.

So what kind of a deal for an NV 65 in S Flex???

Or do you have any of the TM R500 XD series with an NV in them?

If you buy a pull out they are $40.00. New they are $90.

I might be game for a pull out with .350 tip for $40 shipped if you have one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520