• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driver Shaft?

sandwedge

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a new shaft in my driver if it will help me. I have a TM 580xd 10.5* loft with a stock regular flex shaft. My swing speed is about 92-95 mph. I probably average about 220 off the tee with 250 being a very good drive. I think my ball flight is a little low and I want to be able to hit the ball farther and higher. When I am not hitting the ball well I have a tendancy to hook the ball. I also want something that would still be easy to keep it in the fairway.

Do you think a new shaft would help me at all? If so then what would you recommend? If I get one it will probably be from Golfsmith becuase I have a $75 gift card.

If it were me: I'd go to a launch monitor first and demo drivers in the 11*-12* range before I pulled a shaft from your current driver.

Your swing speed and distance is exactly the same as mine. But for some reason, I hit a medium-high trajectory with my (supposedly) 9.5* 905T. I suspect that this head is really more like 12*.

That TM head is prolly a lot closer to 12* than it is 10.5*. The rpoblem is those stock shafts play pretty tip stiff.

220-250 at his speed is pretty good. A small increase in height and spin (this shaft will increase both slightly). I think his average could go up 10-15 yards which is about all you could ask for.

Pros will kill for 10-15 yards off the tee. :D

It doesn't sound like much but it's another club closer to the green. I'd love to have another 15 yards (straight) but I think I'm close to maxed out equipment wise. Now it's time for some lessons and practice.

Thanks for the input guys. 10-15 extra yards would be great!! You really think the shaft would make that much of a difference?

Lyle, what do you mean when you say to tip it by one inch?

Thanks for the input guys. 10-15 extra yards would be great!! You really think the shaft would make that much of a difference?

Yes.

Lyle, what do you mean when you say to tip it by one inch?

You need to cut one inch from the tip end of the ys-6+ when installing them in a standard bore head. You leave them full tip when installing in a bore through head.
So cut one inch from the tip end, install, and then trim to playing length by cutting from the butt end.

Many people thing YS series shafts play too soft, the main reason for this is they fail to read the tip trimming instruction of the GD website. This is a great shaft for slower, smooth swingers.

Thanks Lyle. I am going to get it done at Golfsmith so I will make sure they do that.

SW

Be sure to remind them to tip it as the guy doing the job may have no idea about it.

That TM head is prolly a lot closer to 12* than it is 10.5*. .

This scares me - I got fitted for a driver last year, then went out and bought a driver with the specs I was looking for - wound up with a TM - I do hit it pretty high, but I'll flip if I find out it's 12* instead of the 10.5* stamped on it

Has anyone come across a list of known variances? I've heard rumors of this before and I suppose I could see TM being one of the big OEMs stamping stronger lofts on clubs than actual, but hadn't really thought about how it could effect me.

Tolerence is usually as much as 2*. So it could be anywhere from8.5* all the way to 12.5*.

Most OEM heads I measure are higher lofted than they read.

If you're going to have Golfsmith do the work, I'd recommend you demo a few drivers in their store and try a few with the Grafalloy ProLaunch blue shaft. Then when you decide on a shaft, have Goflsmith SST pure the shaft before it's installed.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520