• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fantasy Football - Start Em' or Sit Em'

Pa Jayhawk

Reaction score
Thought this would be an interesting thread for the crew on here if you can overlook the ST FFL for which I am not involved. There seems to be enough people interested in Fantasy Football.

I am currently in 1st in my dynasty league mainly because of my obscure picks that have paid off and starting the right players 98% of the time. That and the fact that I have alot of Redskin players that I didn't play up until this year, and they are off the charts.

So I will get it started. Simple picks, obscure picks, what have you. I just drafted John Carlson for 3 years (top 10 need 1/2 of top 10 avg which would be his contract of $4 next year) as I feel he will be a stud, and paid enough to make sure he will not hold out in any of those 3 years. Should mention I already have Shockey for 2 more years in a 4 year contract. Yeah, I like to gamble, but may look to trade Shockey later this year to get rid of his contract. Also would love to dump Bulger and may, although after this year I may lose Campbell to a holdout.

So let's get it started.

WR question. I have S. Moss, A. Boldin (inj), L. Coles (bye), D. Stallworth (Bye), J. Porter, C. Henry (Cinn), and picked up Lance Moore this week due to byes and inj, dropped Laddell Betts to pick him up yet may go back to Betts after my WR's are back.

What would you do? Need 3 WR. Plan on Moss, Moore.

Would you start Henry or Porter and your thoughts? Have Henry in my roster but if he even plays is a coin toss.

FYI,
Just to show rosters, it is as follows on a $200 scale, with $12 in current cap penalties.

BTW, if anyone didn't see. The Bengals picked up Cedric Benson this week. If he doesn't pan out, they can alway buy him a boat. :p

So Perry may be gone from my roster soon.

My Steelers are choking. :(

And thus, your fantasy team has followed.......:D

Quite so, and the whole reason I got them. They are a flourish or banish team.

I guess either you guys really don't know anything about fantasy football, or were worried someone would steal your trade secrets. ;)

Oh well, I guess I could say I made the right choice. Neither had any receptions. Which combined, they had as much as my second best receiver Santana Moss. Rough week. Unless Moore has like 5 touchdowns and 150 yards tonight, I will no longer be in first. Hopefully Boldin is back next week as they indicated he could possibly return, that with Coles coming of a bye I can crawl back into the mix. Probably start Moore over Boldin anyways.

I guess either you guys really don't know anything about fantasy football, or were worried someone would steal your trade secrets. ;)

Oh well, I guess I could say I made the right choice. Neither had any receptions. Which combined, they had as much as my second best receiver Santana Moss. Rough week. Unless Moore has like 5 touchdowns and 150 yards tonight, I will no longer be in first. Hopefully Boldin is back next week as they indicated he could possibly return, that with Coles coming of a bye I can crawl back into the mix. Probably start Moore over Boldin anyways.
Put up next week's question when you get to it. I love talking strategy, and I could care less who hears it.

Tim (currently dominating our league) won't listen, if only because he doesn't need any help from me. Come to think of it, for someone whose workplace puts the kibosh on internet use, he sure does make some timely WW picks!)

I was out of town late last week with no internet access, but I'll be around this week.

I too started Santana Moss this week. He had been amazing in weeks prior, but zeros across the board. And I also started Larry Johnson, who had a stellar week. 7 carries, 2 yards no tds. 0.2 fantasy points haha

I also sat eli to start mcnabb. BAD move. mcnabb had almost a 100 less yards and no tds, while eli had 2. The week before that i started mcnabb over eli and brett favre and favre went for 6 tds. WTF haha

All together if i switched the benched players with my starters that i played i would have had 20 or so more points. OBVIOUSLY not a good sign at all

Tim (currently dominating our league) won't listen, if only because he doesn't need any help from me. Come to think of it, for someone whose workplace puts the kibosh on internet use, he sure does make some timely WW picks!)

Fast car. :D

Ahhh, move on to week six, and most of the roster is set in stone.
Only one close call at RB in needing 2.
C. Portis - Was
R. Grant - GB
J. Jones - Sea
W. Dunn - TB
W. McGahee - Bal
C. Perry - Cin

Figure Portis is a lock each week until he gives up the spot. Right now I have Jones in but am flopping around with Grant in him being the opposite of Portis, in that until he shows otherwise it is hard to play him. While I may like his matchup against Sea after what NYG did last week, and Rodgers injury. He also had 201 yards and 3 touchdowns in their last meeting. What scares me is I'm thinking he may be splitting carries this week. I also kinda like Seattle to win this game, which could play a role in carries and I certainly don't see a performance out of grant like last year.

Dunn is just kinda around for off weeks at this point, and McGahee is starting to look like a bust this year unless he can fight off injuries and go back to being the primary back, which is questionable at this point. Start to wish I had traded him in the beginning when I had the chance. Perry will likely be a figment of my imagination after tomorrow, for possibly myself and the Bengals. Unless they bring back stick'em.

Jones or Grant, everything kinda points to Grant except for the gut and the big question mark of "What have you done for me lately"? What do you think?

Roster:
Jason Campbell
Clinton Portis
Grant/Jones???
Santana Moss
Lavernuous Coles
Lance Moore (Boldin Still out as far it would appear, hopefully back after their bye next week)
John Carlson (Shockey iffey and I like Carlson alot this week, thinking he may finally find the End Zone)
Nate Kaeding
Baltimore D

Ahhh, move on to week six, and most of the roster is set in stone.
Only one close call at RB in needing 2.
C. Portis - Was
R. Grant - GB
J. Jones - Sea
W. Dunn - TB
W. McGahee - Bal
C. Perry - Cin

Figure Portis is a lock each week until he gives up the spot. Right now I have Jones in but am flopping around with Grant in him being the opposite of Portis, in that until he shows otherwise it is hard to play him. While I may like his matchup against Sea after what NYG did last week, and Rodgers injury. He also had 201 yards and 3 touchdowns in their last meeting. What scares me is I'm thinking he may be splitting carries this week. I also kinda like Seattle to win this game, which could play a role in carries and I certainly don't see a performance out of grant like last year.

Dunn is just kinda around for off weeks at this point, and McGahee is starting to look like a bust this year unless he can fight off injuries and go back to being the primary back, which is questionable at this point. Start to wish I had traded him in the beginning when I had the chance. Perry will likely be a figment of my imagination after tomorrow, for possibly myself and the Bengals. Unless they bring back stick'em.

Jones or Grant, everything kinda points to Grant except for the gut and the big question mark of "What have you done for me lately"? What do you think?

Roster:
Jason Campbell
Clinton Portis
Grant/Jones???
Santana Moss
Lavernuous Coles
Lance Moore (Boldin Still out as far it would appear, hopefully back after their bye next week)
John Carlson (Shockey iffey and I like Carlson alot this week, thinking he may finally find the End Zone)
Nate Kaeding
Baltimore D

I'd go with Jones(of the two)...Packer defense sucks right now(pretty banged up) and Pack will have a lot of joy airing it out against the Hawks terrible pass D...

I think the seahawks win this game so simply because of that factor I'm starting Jones ahead of Grant

Out of your selection I'm probably going for McGahee if he starts cause the Colts just cannot stop the run and he is still the primary back when available....

Both JJ and RG have been doing servicable work this year, with JJ getting the nod for the "I want to keep my job" award.

Consider that Seattle's passing game took another hit with Deion Branch going down again, so they will have to run the ball. The issue is whether they will run against a Packers defense that has no pass rush right now, and a VERY depleted secondary. Green Bay might just dare Hasselflat to throw the ball by stacking the line (a very depleted line...) against the run.

On the other hand, Seattle got burned on the ground last week. But Grant isn't thrilling me right now.

I'd roll with Portis and Jones.

Why not dig it up.

Here is something I dreamed up yesterday and was on the fence on trying. Until I woke up this morning sober and then further saw the results of last nights game.

Remember this is a Dynasty league. I currently have Anquan Boldin, who outside of QB's has the most points of any player in the league even though he missed 3 games. He is actually averaging the second most of any player per game. He is on the last year of a 3 year deal (All contracts meaning what I have him for) , and although we do have franchise players he would be costly but probably worth it to keep. Although we are looking to add to new people to the league, and I would likely lose him to a new person.

I also have Jeremy Shockey and John Carlson, Shockey has one more year on his contract and for what I am paying I would likely trade him for an anonymous prize in the bottom of a box of cracker jacks just to get rid of his contract and not take a penalty for dropping him at the end of the year. I could even drop him, pick him back up for less than what I pay now. I further have Willis McGahee, who is a question mark and he is in the 3rd year of a 5 year contract. I don't know what to think about him, but am not comfortable as I almost wonder if he may have come off the best performance he may have again, so his value may be as High as it gets. If he performs like he can his contract is a bargain, if he plays for a 3 headed monster and I never start him, he will be very costly.

So on to the trade I am thinking about offering. One guy who in the beginning of the season showed interest in McGahee has Joseph Addai, and Tony Gonzalez, each on one year contract. He also has Terrell Owen on a cheaper 4th year of a 5 year deal. Gonzalez is the #1 tight end, Owens has been playing minus Romo so his value will likely never be lower than last week, Addai I really don't care about if I made this trade but may give me a good option.

I am not really hurting at any position and am still well in the race for points and playoffs this year, although this deal would free up two contracts, one I would give up for anything, and the other that I question whether McGahee may not have a job soon. Although getting rid of McGahee may be a mistake if he turns it around because he is fairly cheap. I also have Portis, Grant, J. Jones, Tim Hightower, all for multiple years and W. Dunn for 1 more. Have L. Coles, W. Welker, Boldin, L. Moore, D Stallworth, and J. Porter at recievers, although this would give me Owens for one more year. While I would almost lose 2 for 1 on Recievers as current, I would gain most of that back on Tight ends and get rid of 2 contracts that could drag me down for a couple years.

What do you think?? BTW, because of Caps this may likely be the only way I could move these contracts and still get something for both this year as well as next in return. Dollar wise the combined trades are actually equal overall.

Or would you just stick it out, as Boldin is basically a monster right now, and is average a TD about every 5 times he touches the ball. I was on board yesterday, and 92 yards and 2 TD's made me wonder, although I am not sure Owens will be worth much less once Romo returns.

I wish I could help, but I have enough trouble picking guys who will do well in any particular week. Me thinking about a dynasty league is like me thinking about what I'd wear to a Halloween party at the Playboy Mansion - just too much to think about.

My random thoughts are:

McGahee is done.
Hightower will be a future stud.
Gonzalez would be an upgrade, for sure, but Carlson will be fine.
I think Dunn is done as well.
I would need to get some serious value for Boldin. Somebody like Adrian Peterson.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520