• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Free 3 Footers???

I had to ask my playing partner to stop tapping in for

me because he would sink it or miss and pick the ball up and throw it to me. I usually putt everything to get in a habit of finishing the hole. It doesn't hold up anyone because if it is short I just stand up and putt, otherwise take a few seconds and make a good stroke.

I don't give myself anything, not even 2 inchers.

Makes for good habit when you get into tournaments and have them.

2' and in i will call gimme`s,but never pars or birdies they have to be inside a ft.

strangely enough one league night i had a 3' on the last hole for a even par rd. and the guy i was golfing against said i was going to give it to you but your partner said you had to putt out.i lipped out for a 37.blind score was 36 and i lost $30 because my partner wnated me to amke a legit 36 and not a gimme 36.

but if its a league night and u want to give me a 3' or 4' i wont argue the point.with some people just to rattle them i might give them a 3' on one hole and the next make them putt a 2' or ill wait till there about to putt then say its good. i know its nasty but these are guys who are normaly cut throat and complaining all the time about handicaps and giving strokes and not out there to have fun.

dont get me wrong i want to win as much as anyone ,but if a guy has a great night and shoots his best round ever against me i dont whine and complain about i congradulate him and hope for a better week next week.

I putt out everything. Kind of Pablovian but the sound of the ball in the hole is my reward and then the hole is behind me and I move on. Without the sound, I'll keep thinking about the hole (if I missed a putt I should have made). Once I hear the sound, I'm done with the hole and move on.

Like Cabin, if I'm by myself and playing through and rush the putt, I'll still putt out, but I'm not going to punish myself further on the scorecard.

Lemonhead

Who's this Pablo guy?
:laugh:

I only use concessions when playing match play and it is at sole discretion of my opponent. I will putt out every other time.

I can't stand "gimmies" although I play with a lot of people that use them. One of the courses I play punishes you for being above the hole yet these people knock back putts that are not that easy to make regardless of them being inside the leather. I guess what botheres me the most is that there is no way to keep the distance from "creeping" longer than it should be and I feel like it penalizes soemone like me who is actually a very good putter. I know that a lot of these guys would be shooting higher scores if they had to putt them all out and I would not be spotting the field 3 or 4 shots a round.

I like putt anything outside of about a foot, possibly a little less. By myself I putt out everything. I'll take the "gimme" if given it but 3 feet is a lot, never been given a 3footer. Maybe a little inside 2 after I hit a near perfect chip, I just consider it a "reward" for the chip, by myself I put it in the hole though.

I always get a kick out of the guy

who will start to check if the ball is going to be inside the leather. He lowers the putter about five or six inches (Even then you can see it will not be inside the leather.), and with a very well-practices move plucks the ball from the green quickly before he thinks anyone has seen the truth.

It does not cause me any lost sleep knowing that so many out there in cyperspace are getting lower scores because of gimmies, mulligans, etc. Against such folks, I like my chances pretty good. I have heard the reason given for gimmies that it is to pick up the pace of play. That is good. That is real good. If it is totally the truth, I thank you deeply for your consideration about avoiding slow play. On the other hand, the HIgh Plains Drifter's remark might be correctly applied: "It's what people know about themselves inside that make them afraid." The horror of missing an important two footer has been know to cause tingler monsters to shoot out the spine of the strickened victom (as in the old Vincent Price Tingler movie)..

Sincerely, Cypressperch

Who's this Pablo guy?
I think he was some guy in Mexico that studied the condition response in Chihuahuas that made them Yippy and Shaky. After years of rigorous studies he realized it was not a conditioned response but rather a genetic trait. Being the avid golfer that he was, and so as not to belittle his years of research he tried to cross breed Chihuahuas and Canadian geese. Although he could not contain the little monsters, so being confused as to their Canadian or Mexican ancestry, they migrated to the US and are what you will find blessing are courses. One such geese made it as far as Alaska. Mistaken for a harp seal, and in fear for its life it crossed the ragged waters into Russia and was adopted by a gentleman named Ivan. Little did Pablo know, this magical Gooshuahua could talk. It was a yippy nature of speaking, but could talk none the less. After hearing the story, Ivan decided to further the research. Although after many trials where instead of salivating the Gooshuahua would simply bite Ivan on the ankle which in turn would make him drop the food, he decided to try the experiments on Russian dogs.

Pablo was soon forgotten

I think he was some guy in Mexico that studied the condition response in Chihuahuas that made them Yippy and Shaky. After years of rigorous studies he realized it was not a conditioned response but rather a genetic trait. Being the avid golfer that he was, and so as not to belittle his years of research he tried to cross breed Chihuahuas and Canadian geese. Although he could not contain the little monsters, so being confused as to their Canadian or Mexican ancestry, they migrated to the US and are what you will find blessing are courses. One such geese made it as far as Alaska. Mistaken for a harp seal, and in fear for its life it crossed the ragged waters into Russia and was adopted by a gentleman named Ivan. Little did Pablo know, this magical Gooshuahua could talk. It was a yippy nature of speaking, but could talk none the less. After hearing the story, Ivan decided to further the research. Although after many trials where instead of salivating the Gooshuahua would simply bite Ivan on the ankle which in turn would make him drop the food, he decided to try the experiments on Russian dogs.

Pablo was soon forgotten

Drop the tequila and step away from the Goosehuahua.

Harp seal? Brilliant...!

It does not cause me any lost sleep knowing that so many out there in cyperspace are getting lower scores because of gimmies, mulligans, etc.

I will not lose any sleep myself over the guys who mark, pick up and realign that 11 incher every time. However, if they are exiting the green left I hope they keep an ear open in case I pull my 4yd. fade 7iron from 162... I will do my best to yell "fore!" in time.
icon10.gif

I normally putt everything. If someone picks my ball up or says its good, I will take it inside of a foot or if there is a group waiting to hit into the green otherwise I will putt it out. The only other time I will pick up the ball is if I have reached my eqitable stroke limit for the hole and do not wish to slow down play by putting out. Granted, I am not a gambler and do not enter tournements, but it just does not feel right unless I putt it out.

I normally putt everything. If someone picks my ball up or says its good, I will take it inside of a foot or if there is a group waiting to hit into the green otherwise I will putt it out. The only other time I will pick up the ball is if I have reached my eqitable stroke limit for the hole and do not wish to slow down play by putting out. Granted, I am not a gambler and do not enter tournements, but it just does not feel right unless I putt it out.

When you and I played togehter we putted everything. It wasn't forced or gamesmanship. It was golf. I liked it, especially since I seldom get the chance to play with people who really try to play by the rules. On the other hand, we had the course to ourselves, and if it had been crowded we both might have given a few.

Featured Reviews

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54