• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fuel Prices

I don't think that it has to be that drastic.

Why not limit engine size to a V6 maxium or do what they do in the UK and increase license/insurance fees for those that choose to drive larger cc engines. That would sway alot of people if plates cost them 8000 bucks a year.

Sure, the ulta rich can still pay it, but the ultra rich don't give a shit if gas goes up 2 bucks...

R35

Farquod said:
Then to paraphrase Freddy Mercury "Get on your bikes and ride."

And that's bicycles.

At least that would help with the similarly concerning obesity epidemic.

I would have been on my bike this very morning if the damn tire hadn't gone flat! argh!

Silver said:
Something a little different? Try a new Toyota Matrix 4WD (although it's a bit narrow to fit clubs as comfortably as I'd like). Hell, my dad's old Tercel SR5 wagon was great for roominess and efficacy. We used to fit 3 kids, two adults, and a week's worth of supplies in there for when we'd go to the cabin.

Sorry man, I'm not buying into the impossibility of it all.

Besides, it's not what you're spending on gas that bothers me, it's your flagrant disregard for the environment that effects the rest of us that pisses me off.
Actually Toyota has a hybrid SUV that if I were buying a vehicle, I would probably consider. Really though my hatred for cars comes down want to sit in a vehicle like sitting in a chair, it is far more comfortable for me, it also has to have headroom. Probably the reason I did not get a 4runner, it did not have the same headroom.

And again, if I sound harsh in saying that I care more about comfort than the environement, then at least I am honest. Again, a moped is a lot cheaper, alot kinder to the environment, you can probably even find an electric one. I drove one in college to save money after simply walking the first 3 years, so I guess I did my share for the enviroment at that time. Saying I disregard the environement and in the same sense saying it is O.K. to drive a car because you do it at the expense of comfort is what I would consider false values. If one really values the environment, buy a house where you can walk to work, you will probably live longer. Pure and simple, I really doubt the environmental difference between a car and SUV is considerably difference in this day of emission inspections. If it is just environmentally consuming more than my share of fuel, then I guess it will be sooner gone and we will all benefit environmentally.

Farquod said:
Dude, someone has to keep the world economy humming.... ;)

You could be humming to some Chinese tune Farq .... seeing as how those guys own most of America's foreign debt ... you know yerself that you gotta keep your bank manager sweeet ;)

Rockford35 said:
I don't think that it has to be that drastic.

Why not limit engine size to a V6 maxium or do what they do in the UK and increase license/insurance fees for those that choose to drive larger cc engines. That would sway alot of people if plates cost them 8000 bucks a year.

Sure, the ulta rich can still pay it, but the ultra rich don't give a shit if gas goes up 2 bucks...

R35

And put nearly all the working contractors in this area out of business. You can't haul a loaded tool trailer with a civic. All it would accomplish is higher prices for services and more people out of work.

My suv has a V6, does that make me one of the good guys? :p

Rockford35 said:
Roger that, S. Great points.

No offense, J, don't think either S or myself are directing our shots at you personally....

R35
Hey, you have every right to if that is what you believe. In the same sense, I would not be honest if I said I agreed. I have no problem with standing behind my convictions because it is the right choice for me. I would be dishonest if I said I valued the environment over comfort. It is a crude point, one that to many people may not say even though it is what they feel.

DaveE said:
And put nearly all the working contractors in this area out of business. You can't haul a loaded tool trailer with a civic. All it would accomplish is higher prices for services and more people out of work.

My suv has a V6, does that make me one of the good guys? :p

Special licenses for those that require lawrys, er, trucks. :D

Gas is even more expensive over in the UK and Europe, yet they still drive affordable, small and fuel efficient cars with special engines for that market. They obviously make it work.

R35

I think it's a much bigger issue than altering driving habits. As the world gets smaller, and the population bigger, all the habits and creature comforts that we've come to value are on display and being disseminated globally. And until we find a way to satisfy those comforts globally in a way that will not increase the current remodeling of the planet, we are, quite literally, f*cked.

The world will survive it. I'm not so sure humans will, tho. Nature of the beast. :(

Dave Ireland said:
You could be humming to some Chinese tune Farq .... seeing as how those guys own most of America's foreign debt ... you know yerself that you gotta keep your bank manager sweeet

Yep. Codependency R us! :D

DaveE said:
My suv has a V6, does that make me one of the good guys?

Mine too. The V8 was a dog. It drove like a truck! :p

I'm not expressing myself in an effort to change anyone's mind here, because I know that I won't.

FKA, the comfort vs. environment thing is...well...personal. It's a weighing issue - is your comfort worth more to you than the environment is worth to...well...everyone? You have given an honest answer rather than trying to BS your way out of it, so kudos for that.

I have tried alternative methods of transportation, I owned a motorcycle for some time that was about twice as efficient as my car (and my car's pretty damn good) but unfortunately, there is a line between practicality, safety, and environmentalism. I would also live closer to work/school if it were financially viable. Unfortunately, again, Vancouver's housing market is freaking nuts. I, too, put comfort ahead of environmentalism - I've just chosen my line and you've chosen yours. I can take the bus to school, it's free for students. However, due to where I live, I would spend four to five hours a day commuting instead of two. Once again, my choice. Instead of opting for bussing daily, I scheduled my life so that I only have to drive to school (75 kms return) twice a week.

I also am looking into alternatives for how I will get work this summer. I will most likely end up driving to the train station (5 minutes) and then training/bussing the remainder of the route (55 minutes) rather than driving (about 45 minutes). This will be hard because I'll be locked into a schedule due to the timing of the trains, but I will make it work.

I'm making an effort to get over my own wants by satisfying my personal needs. I'm doing this in various ways in my life. For example, I've probably taken myself off of the "have obesity related heart and other medical problems" list. I like Big Macs as much as you like comfort, but I've decided that it's better to give that up.

Just my personal view of it...

Rockford35 said:
Special licenses for those that require lawrys, er, trucks. :D

Gas is even more expensive over in the UK and Europe, yet they still drive affordable, small and fuel efficient cars with special engines for that market. They obviously make it work.

R35
Yep Rock, it's the nature of the beast over here - never mind fuel prices, the price of cars is astronomical compared to N.America - I drive a 1.8 litre car cost me €35,000 around $42,000, would like to see what car I'd get for my money in America for that - allied to the fact that I'm paying around $ 700 road tax for the pleasure of keeping it in my driveway Mon-Fri as I get the train to work........

Silver said:
I'm making an effort to get over my own wants by satisfying my personal needs. I'm doing this in various ways in my life. For example, I've probably taken myself off of the "have obesity related heart and other medical problems" list. I like Big Macs as much as you like comfort, but I've decided that it's better to give that up.

Well now you just sound like a fanatic. :p

Just kidding. In contrast, even though I drive what is considered a gas hog by some, I have a 7 mile commute to my office. I filled up for the first time in over 3 weeks yesterday. Even if I got a small car, which wouldn't work for me, how much of difference would it really make?

You'd fill up every 6 weeks? :)

And realistically, giving up Big Macs for health seems reasonable, to me...at least. I'd think that you, as a runner, would understand ;) (and I know you were probably being sarcastic :p)

Silver said:
Very good points you made and ones that I respect. In all honesty, I am environmentally conscious, but I would be unarmed in arguing if I were to say I do not value comfort more. In all honesty, I only put about 5-10k miles on my car a year, it is paid off, and I enjoy every mile that I put on my car, and do it for a purpose. So environmentally, I am probably more conservative than the most people that feel this to be an issue.

My wife is not so lucky and has to travel about 45 miles a day for the same housing costs issues that you mention. She hates the money she spends to fuel her car, but in the same sense, she would not do nearly as well and live nearly as comfortable if she did not make the commute. In many cases, she would not be able to make it to work in a normal vehicle. But again, environmentally vs. comfort is the issue. Although her SUV gets probably 1 1/2 the milage of my own, has a four cylinder, and again to think it is more taxing on the environment simply because it uses more resources is probably a mute point.

If we travel we use mine because it carries more and allows us to travel in comfort, plus keeps the miles off her car. Again I really think it all a matter of weighing which is of higher value at the time.

Silver said:
You'd fill up every 6 weeks? :)

And realistically, giving up Big Macs for health seems reasonable, to me...at least. I'd think that you, as a runner, would understand ;) (and I know you were probably being sarcastic :p)

I gave up Big Macs too, so I could eat more wings. :p

The whole thing will work itself out in the open market. As prices rise there will be some who will drive less or buy small cars and others who won't. The rich will do whatever the hell they want because they're rich.

Featured Reviews

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54