• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Grip size question.

Jules150

Reaction score
So a while back i went to get my putter shortened and regripped, the fitter recomened i use a midsize grip. Now i am looking for new grips for my irons, I've been looking at a lot of grips and seeing what size people use and it seems alot of people use standard size, i guess i expected more people to use midsize and im a bit nervous about going to midsize. Anyway, if he reccomened midsize for putter do you guys think that means i should use midsize for my irons too? And how much more fade should i expect going from standard to midsize? Thanks.

Its all a matter of preference, I have smaller hands and i use midsize on all but the driver, I use jumbo (helps not release so i can hit fades) If you like the feel, go for it.

Its all a matter of preference, I have smaller hands and i use midsize on all but the driver, I use jumbo (helps not release so i can hit fades) If you like the feel, go for it.

Bingo. If it feels good you will tend to you less grip pressure which is a very good thing.

Personal preference is paramount and you can't judge a book by its cover either. I use standardf size grips but I have two extra layers of tape under my bottom hand. I wear a ML size glove so I don't fall into the midsize recommendation but my hands actually hurt and cramp up when I use standard size grips.

I recommend learning how to regrip your clubs yourself so you can trial and error to figure out the right grip AND grip size for yourself. Grips run from about $2.50 (Tour Velvet or Crossline) to ~$8 (most corded grips) so it isn't a huge investment. The upside is that you will find your perfect grip and your game will be better for it!

A good way to check if your grip is too small check and see if the tips of your two middle fingers are digging into the meaty part of your left thumb, if they are the grips might be too small. The finger tips should just touch the meaty part of the thumb if there is a gap the grip is too big. I switch to a mid size and I like them.

You can do a middle finger and hand measurement and go to Pings site to get an idea. I use midsized and no going back, but that was the recommended size. All about what is comfortable. The last fitting I had, he recommended standard. Going from the Midsized back to standard I started hooking the cr@p out of the ball and started strangling the club, so after only about 5-6 rounds I cut them off and went back to Midsized.

May be a good Idea to just grip 1 or 2 clubs to start and see what you think, maybe a commonly used FW and an Iron for a couple rounds, see what you prefer . If the grip is too big you will have a tendency to not release and turn over the wrists soon enough or as easily, so if you notice alot of consistent Pushes or fades (depending on swing path), it may not be the best option.

Edit 1 - Personally on a putter, it makes little difference to me. I tried larger grips on my putter, but got a better feel with a standard grip so I went back, and I am not worried about grip pressure on the putter as far as holding onto the club and causing tension.

Thanks guys, i do like the feel of midsize grips when i tried them so i think im going to stick with them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520

3. 15,301