• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

GTA IV

PS3! Why not buy a great blu-ray player and get a gaming system thrown in for free.

Honestly, the PS3 is the best blu-ray player on the market STILL, super fast, great image, fully upgradeable with firmware, 2.0 complient, and it plays games. A no brainer really.
Another fine example of what I meant by picking the unit based on what it will be used for. The Blue Ray player on the PS3 is supposed to be one of the top players on the market. Although I sadly do not even own an HD TV yet, and mainly use TiVo as my resource for Movies.

Probably need to figure out what he likes and wants in a console. There is definitely more too it than games as Lyle has pointed out. This is another reason I like the XBOX360, because I do have Windows Media Center on my laptop, and can easily stream to my XBOX360 with the same format. Also have a 160GB HD through USB on the console and another 120GB on the console. I prefer music and photos with the ability to play standard DVD's for my Media resources. So it works well for what I want in a Media Center, as well as for the games I play. If it is only about games, there are certain Genres that are better for each unit, and being that I like FPS the XBOX seems to be better and has particular games and series that I like that are only available on the XBOX.

Here is a site that does reviews and such that may help in deciding.
PlayStation 3 Video Game Reviews - Online PlayStation 3 Game Reviews - New PlayStation 3 Game Reviews
Xbox 360 Video Game Reviews - Online Xbox 360 Game Reviews - New Xbox 360 Game Reviews

Just like in the portable market, I find the games and features of the PSP to better suit my interests. For which if he has one of these, it will link to the PS3, but was not enough to sway my decision.

edit 1 - Well, off to Best Buy I go. Hi ho, hi ho, to gadget ho I go. :laugh:

I don't know Lyle, its great, but if you take out the blu-ray its an overpriced console. Meaning, if you don't intend on using it, much or all, what's the point?

The games? Well, the games are good, but all the major titles are planned for export to other consoles or computer.

As far as games going, I'm scaring the piss outta myself with Dead Space right now, great game.

Well, all back from Best Buy and they had plenty in stock. Just what I need, another distraction to take up 100's of hours of my time. This is another reason I waited. From the last GTA game I played I knew it wasn't like a FPS that would take a few days or a week to complete. Figured with our course closing down and the season coming to an end, it would be another vice to blow endless hours of time.

I'll never learn!!! :laugh:

Enjoy PA, I really enjoy playing the GTA series. Great fun. I miss the silenced pistol from San Andreas though.

I personally could not see life without my PS3. It's my baby. I think one of the biggest things I hate about the 360 is the controller; it feels so odd in my hands and it's really far worse suited for shooters than Dualshocks. The trigger pull on the 360 is far too long and uncrisp. Blu-ray is nice, but more for being able to put enormous games on a single disc rather than movies (Final Fantasy may be like 6 -13 discs)
Ultimately it comes down to doing your research and knowing what you're looking for. I've been with Sony since before I knew what a video game was, so....
And I'm not much of a statistics man, but uh.... 1 in 3 360's have hardware failures. :shocked:

And I'm not much of a statistics man, but uh.... 1 in 3 360's have hardware failures. :shocked:

Source?

I know 10 people with them, and none have a problem. ;)

Source?

I will find it for you, it is true. The newer ones are far better, but the the 360 has the highest failure rate of any console released to date.

And I'm not much of a statistics man, but uh.... 1 in 3 360's have hardware failures.
Source?

Actually as sad as it is, I think those figures were initially correct, although that was shortly after the product was released (Probably too early). They have since extended the warranties as a result and done enhancements to correct most of the issues.

I believe I saw something to the regard a while back that now only 16% of the 360's that are actually turned in for warranty service are a result of Hardware failure. So now not even one in three that are turned in for service have experienced hardware failure. To be honest, this was probably a good thing for current owners who now have an extended warranty on an improved product.

Most of these figures were probably resolved even prior to the PS3 being released.

edit 1 - It was certainly a reason I was in no hurry to run out and buy a 360, although again, even after waiting it out I still got one around the time the PS3 was even released and with no guarantee that Sony was not going to experience issues of it's own on an unproven product. So in comparison you would have had to compare the product with those issues to a PS2 and not a PS3

BTW, on GTA IV, I think the San Andreas was the only I didn't play, but one thing that I like about the current is they did make it more difficult and realistic. Where many times other people will jump in when they see you doing something or even call the police so you may have to flee. Instead of just sitting idly by like they were drunk and just waiting to be next when you get done with the first guy. Only played it for a short time but noticed this one time when I ended up with about 4 guys chasing me around and kept ending up in the hospital. :laugh:

Because you have to strive for realism when killing them hookers! :D

Honestly, I mainly recommend the 360 because a larger and better game payload(excluding MGS4 and Resistance 2), better internet online play(even though it costs), and a larger base for it. Also because of this, the whole thing is cheaper. The 360 is, and used games for it are. I don't even buy new games anymore for the thing.

I think Socom that just came out for PS3 has just killed all arguments about the available games. I have both systems and the top shooter games for each. For ps3 socom, and for xbox gears of war 2 and halo 2. Both of the xbox games are ok but for a realistic shooter game socom is head and shoulders above the xbox offereings. Never really got into the R2 on socom. Its a good game graphics and game play wise but prefer more reality rather than slime shooting rifles.

Really like Mercs 2, pretty fun game and call of duty world at war is just like all other COD games. If you were waiting on it don't bother just pick up COD 4 at a cheaper price. Its the same game play but older weapons. The co-op mode is pretty fun and actually challenging though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520