• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Head or Shaft

slickpitt

Reaction score
Trying to get a feel for what people think. What would you say is more important in a Driver? The head being fitted properly to the golfer... or the shaft being fitted properly? I'm considering trying a different shaft. Right now it's just the stock shaft that's in my Tour Burner.... I know it says Fujikira on it, but is it safe to assume that the stock shaft really wouldn't be on par with after-market Fuji's? I've never seen any evidence of it... but I've always just kind of assumed Taylor Made(as well as other manufacturers) pay to slap that name on a crappy shaft. I like the Tour Burner head... I've hit balls all over the face of that club and managed to get them to go straight... but something just feels.... "off"... with the club... especially in transition from backswing to downswing... if that makes any sense.

I'd say both are equally important. The shaft needs to optimize the players swing as to speed, transition, tempo, release, ect. The head needs to compliment the shaft and provide the best combination of launch, spin as well as impact position. It took me a while to realize I needed a higher launch despite my ballspeed. Going up to 10.5* seems to be routinely giving me the results of my "best" drives with a 9.5*.

I'd say both are equally important. The shaft needs to optimize the players swing as to speed, transition, tempo, release, ect. The head needs to compliment the shaft and provide the best combination of launch, spin as well as impact position. It took me a while to realize I needed a higher launch despite my ballspeed. Going up to 10.5* seems to be routinely giving me the results of my "best" drives with a 9.5*.

Excellent response.

I would agree, I switched to a 10.5* driver and INSTANTLY started hitting much better drives. I don't mean a few extra yards. I mean, I hit fewer banana balls, easily gained 10-15yds carry and am now very confident with my driving. I switched from a 9.5* with high kick shaft-consistenly hit weak pop ups or huge slices. It was shocking to me really- I will never touch another driver with less than 10* of loft- I just don't have the swing speed or ball speed or something.

I'd have to say, I could probably benefit from a 10.5 head. I just always had problems with ballooning and pop up shots.

I got a Whiteboard and a 9.5 and I'd assume the shaft helped a ton. When I hit it, I HIT it. It's a thing of beauty.. when I miss... It's insanely ugly.

I think a shaft is more important than a head, but that a balance is needed.

Kinda like a car with a ton of speed, and no breaking.. You need a little of both to really get whats good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520