• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Highs and Lows

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Played on Saturday. I stood +6 after 6 :( (At that stage I hadn't really even hit that many bad shots, just some outstanding bad luck with lies). After 18 I finished +4, which mean I covered the final 12 in -2 :)
I ended up finishing 3rd in the last day of our Open Week, an against par format (I beat the course by 2) and picked up some ££££ :):):)

Then I played today. 1/4 final fourball match at our club. We sat 3 up after 12 and lost at the 20th. I shot +3 for the 18, level on the back, but the dudes we played (one in particular) just holed so many putts. One of the guys, a former clu champion must have put some Mojo on his flat stick, he must have holed 5 putts of more than 20ft. Great match, excellent quality of golf played, good company and sportsmanship. Just really disappointing to lose at 20th. Both my partner and I hit our worst tee shots of the day at the worst time :( I really thought we would do well this year.

As I said, highs and lows...

:( Sorry mate, always next year though.

Got ya beat, last weeks tourney for me was +5 through three(from one hole), and -5 for the rest of the tournament. :D

Best so far: 2 over after 5 holes. Didn't matter - I got a 12 on the next hole with 4 consecutive OB shots (2 left, 2 right).

Worst so far: 11-8-11-9 for the first 4 holes. Stopped keeping score after that.

That's just this year.

+9 thru 7 and finished -2 for last 11 holes, or else +3 thru 2 and finished +3 in a tourney

What is this "-" symbol I keep seeing in front of some numbers?

-2? -5?

WTF is THAT?

Yesterday in our two man best ball low net, I shot 6 over on the front and my partner was worse....2 over on the back (with only one birdie, but several clutch par saves)...I really tried to grind it even though we were way out of the $$.

What is this "-" symbol I keep seeing in front of some numbers?

-2? -5?

WTF is THAT?

THAT is the international sign for MINUS, her ein The Emerald Isle anyway.

-2 is 2 under par, in my case it was my gross score.

Yesterday in our two man best ball low net, I shot 6 over on the front and my partner was worse....2 over on the back (with only one birdie, but several clutch par saves)...I really tried to grind it even though we were way out of the $$.

Bravo, Tournament golf is all about GRINDING.
Match Play is a lot more fun. You can have a go at shots, drives, putts etc. that with a card in your hand you may not attempt. Both can be fun, but matchplay is the purest form of the game imo.

Head to heads are classic.

. Both can be fun, but matchplay is the purest form of the game imo.
Head to heads are classic.

I agree and unfortunately, over on this side of the pond, stroke play reigns supreme. All of our official club tourneys, Junior, Club Championhip, Senior and Member-Member are based on stroke play.

Weirdly, the only matchplay event we have is the Member-Guest (unofficial), which has social aspects simply overflowing with two open bar cocktail parties etc. This is nine-hole matchplay over 2 days, plus a playoff at the end.

I would enjoy match, but don't play it at all because of our fixation on stroke. And unfortunately like a tourney on TV, you don't know where you stand until you get into the clubhouse to see what everyone else has posted....the typical weekend player in the UK would likely whip the average US player because that 'grinding' mentality is centered in the mind unlike our stroke format. As we started yesterday's round, we were so far behind that there was no way we could catch up. As a result, I 'played for pride' because my partner (13 hc) parred only four holes. We ended up six under on the backside with me accounting for our score on 7 of the 9 holes and five of the six under par scores...

My best experience was playing in our Interclub Ryder Cup-type matches. No doubt the most pressure I have ever been under and gave me the most confidence to play in match events.

Extreme low on Saturday: played 18 with my wife using a new sleeve of Srixon Trispeed's that I'd gotten for free. Liked the ball...good distance, nice feel, decent spin. Definitely a ball to consider trying, and one I'll probably play again.

Anyway, not a great day, but not bad until 17. Tee shot jacked hard into the right woods...lost the 1st Trispeed. 2nd tee shot dribbles no where. Anger sets in. Next shot off deeper into the woods...lost the 2nd Trispeed. Finish the hole with something uncountable and a really bad attitude.

18 is a par 5 with the 2nd shot carrying over water...yep, 2nd shot into the water...lost the 3rd Trispeed.

16 holes with 1 ball, lose all 3 on the last 2 holes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520