• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Home Course closing on 31 December

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just heard the course down the street from my VA 'hood is closing on 31 Dec this year. Cannon Ridge Golf Club – Fredericksburg, VA

This course was built and is owned by a local real estate magnate (Silver Corp). It opened originally back in late 2000's (2006 or 2008? ish) and then closed in 2011. The owner is charging $30K/month to lease the course and multiple operators have tried and failed twice now to stay in business at that rent. When the first operators went under, Silver kept the course mowed, watered and basically immaculate for 3 solid years with no income. I used to ride my bike on the cart paths and wonder what this guy's business model is. All that expense to maintain a course that is closed and he is charging so much rent he can't get an operator to stay in business. Anyway, our newest operator confirmed today that he is shutting 'er down at the end of the year. Bummer - best fairways in the area and talk about convenient - 3 minutes away! Good thing we didn't renew our membership in June (because the operator would not offer a seasonal membership for snowbirds).

So I guess it will become a housing estate?

The proprietor met with our men's group today at lunch and gave us the facts. He was making good money, so it was not a rent/cost issue. Silver Corp is terminating his lease 6 months early to build estates. He is basically evicting our guy. Our guy has 3 years left on his golf cart and mower leases. On the bright side, Silver Corp is going to take care of our guy's legal support for breaking those leases. Silver just can't get enough money.......there are a lot of people who are going to miss that course.

The proprietor met with our men's group today at lunch and gave us the facts. He was making good money, so it was not a rent/cost issue. Silver Corp is terminating his lease 6 months early to build estates. He is basically evicting our guy. Our guy has 3 years left on his golf cart and mower leases. On the bright side, Silver Corp is going to take care of our guy's legal support for breaking those leases. Silver just can't get enough money.......there are a lot of people who are going to miss that course.
:(

It's the sad state that our beloved game currently finds itself in. Sadly! Several courses here in S. Ontario are currently in the same position. Glenn Abby, the home course for our Canadian Open, is slated to be homes within 5 years. Several others will likely see the same fate, some really nice courses too!! It really sucks for those who love them, but money talks... $400 million was the price I heard for a course I just finished a job at. Superintendent has been there 25 years and in 2 he'll be unemployed. Shame!

It's the sad state that our beloved game currently finds itself in. Sadly! Several courses here in S. Ontario are currently in the same position. Glenn Abby, the home course for our Canadian Open, is slated to be homes within 5 years. Several others will likely see the same fate, some really nice courses too!! It really sucks for those who love them, but money talks... $400 million was the price I heard for a course I just finished a job at. Superintendent has been there 25 years and in 2 he'll be unemployed. Shame!
Off-topic... sorta. We have a greens staff employee at our course who went to work there straight out of high school... 29 years ago. Has never had another job. Never married. Still lives in the same house he was born and raised in. Both parents now gone, so now lives by himself. Never wanted to be Superintendent. Never would even accept the job of Assistant Superintendent. Just there every day working his fanny off... for 29 years.
We just hired a new Superintendent. The young man is a professional. Amazing what he has done to get the course looking so much better in the two weeks he's been there. He's 25 years old, with a four-year degree in Agronomy and Turf Management. The long-term worker has stayed on. He's been working at this job four years longer than his boss is old!!!!

Sounds like the course on Rt 3n past Meadows farm. Somerset I think it was. Is that course still open, or did it close... AGAIN?

Sounds like the course on Rt 3n past Meadows farm. Somerset I think it was. Is that course still open, or did it close... AGAIN?
Somerset is still open under the name Rapidan. Cannon Ridge is the course I am talking about. Rt 17 just north of i95 near the GEICO bldg.

Al Cervik must be involved in that.
RD-then.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35