• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hooking shots from the rough

trumb1mj

Reaction score
I am making really great contact from the fw and light rough (divot with a slight fade/draw depending on the shape selection) but shots from the deep rough have been the difference lately between low 80s and high 70s.

Anyone have any secrets on making good contact from the deep, often wet rough while also avoiding the snap hook?

I have been trying to play a fade by sort of "lifting" the ball without much luck...

Don't hit it in the deep, wet rough. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, the rough is meant to be a penalty of sorts and even pros have a hard time "working" the ball out of the rough. I guess you could open the face and hold it open through impact, that would guard against the rough grabbing the hosel and turning it over. Other than that, not much help! Sorry!

The rough is probably yanking your club head shut. Play around with trying tocome into the ball much steeper when you have a bad rough lie. You'll bring less grass into the equation and hopefully have more predictable results. As Jim said though, it is supposed to be tough from there.

We've become accustomed to watching golf on television where the pros never have to hit out of deep rough. The only tourney with truly penalizing rough is the U.S. Open. Fans have driven the "bomb and gouge" culture where they want every player to hit 300+ yard drives and make birdies or eagles from there. When was the last time you saw a pro take two swings to get out of the deep gunch?
We who play "normal" courses have to deal with rough. If the rough is deep grass, it is almost impossible to keep that grass from grabbing the hosel. It's the penalty you pay. Practice from some deep grass... practice and practice and practice. Some can effect the steeper swing. Some can aim right, knowing you will pull it left outa the deep stuff. Some can power it through. You must learn "your" rough... the rough you see where you most often play. And, you must learn "your" limitations playing from it.

When was the last time you saw a pro take two swings to get out of the deep gunch?

Tom Watson a few years ago at The (British) Open. That's the last I really recall that made me go O.O oiy, old timer!

I agree about the rough grabbing the hosel, but I won't go as far as to say the pro's don't usually see deep rough. There are plenty of times that you can't see their ball nor their feet. I think that they are pro's for a reason and they didn't get there by not learning how to hack it out of the thick shit.

In the deep stuff I do whats already been mentioned.
Open the face a bit so its hozzle first and hit down on the ball.
Aim my stance left of target and pray to the 7 golf gods...

That or pull out a heavy hybrid that pretty much tears thru grass like tissue paper.

I will never forget watching Phil Mickelson on the 18th of the US Open with the lead, 2006 I think, the one where he blew the lead on the last hole?

Drives it into the ROUGH, US Open ROUGH. Grabs his FW wood and promply slides the club right under the ball.

Ooops. And as they say, the rest is history.

Hooked my drive on #4, this morning, into the left rough. Was 150 +/- out with trees between my ball and the green. I just wanted to get the ball out, in the fairway, and closer to the green. Started a 7-iron out to the right of the trees and watched as the ball hooked towards the green. I couldn't see the green, due to the trees, but heard one of the group say "Nice shot!". (Whenever this old mand hers "Nice Shot!" it makes my day.) Walked out of the rough to see the ball sitting up on the green, some 20+ feet from the hole. Yes... I 3-jacked for a bogey! :>( Sittin' with a birdie putt outa the gunch and take a bogey. Sheesh!

Like SUX said, you need to get steep with your swing. Hing your wrists early on the take away. Also, f you play the ball slightly back it will promote a steeper swing.

What really bothers me is thick green-side rough. I would rather be in the sand any day of the week.

Just the opposite for me. I hate the sand. Especially when its really loose. I can get out of the rough usually pretty easily, but sometimes it can take me 3 strokes to get out of loose sand.

I love the sand. I have a sand bunker/sand green in my back yard. Me and the boy hit balls into, then back out, all the time. I have to re-fill it with screened masonry sand about twice a year.

If you practice much out of the sand, you will learn how forgiving the sand really is. With the proper technique, my club can enter the sand an inch behind the ball or 4 inches and I'll get almost the same result. If you lay the club open, lower you hands and swing shallow the sole won't let the club dig very deep. It just kind of skims under the sand. Also, I like a short backswing and really accelerate through the shot.

If the ball is plugged, I open the face but then pick the club up abruptly (steep) and just stab the ball out. You would be surprised at how well the ball will come out of a buried lie.

It all just takes practice, like any other shot. Good technique really goes a long way to be a strong player out of the sand though. Once you figure that out, the sand is very forgiving.

Greenside bunkers are typically a higher percentage shot for me than thick rough...

That said, I agree with the previous posters on 'getting steep' in the thick rough.

The less grass you encounter the more predictable the shot.

Deep rough means a shut face at impact. (Unhappy Hooker)
If your someone that can cut trees with a single blow, I think you need to go for it.
For all other mere mortals ,hit it back in the fairway and be done with it. Unless you have a very good lie. Its going to hook and maybe Duck hook right in front of you, Then ,guess what you can do it again, from the same
rough. Belive me I know for a fact.:(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427