• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How far can you hit P.W and i9?

Andy_79 said:
Geez, that's kraaa-azy !! :eek:
Not really, I used to hit my irons that far 2 years ago untill I toned them down for more control. My iron game is by far my best part of my game now.

IG ... how far is that 1st par 3 on the Riverside in Portstewart ? .... I think that would be a fair indication of how far I hit a 9i :D..

56 100yrds
53 110yrds
48 125 yrds
9i 125 to 145yrds

just measured,with a laser

Dave Ireland said:
IG ... how far is that 1st par 3 on the Riverside in Portstewart ? .... I think that would be a fair indication of how far I hit a 9i :D..

lol. It is 218 off the back sticks, Dave. A tougher par-3 hole you will struggle to find......

Andy_79 said:
lol. It is 218 off the back sticks, Dave. A tougher par-3 hole you will struggle to find......

Nah Andy wasn't off the backs - think it was the blue tees ... I spose we're looking at 180-190 would ya say ? Stuck it to 20 feet or so aswell !!

*Afterthought* .... I did mention it was with a 30mph tailwind didn't I ? ..:D

ezra76 said:
If you can hit a 9iron 170 there should not be a par 5 on the planet you can't reach in two unless it is over 700yds. :)

We have a 480 short par 5 and i can reach it with 3 wedges and have done it to prove a point to high handicapers that you dont have to hit a driver off the tee.No i cant reach all par 5,s in two_Often i will not even try, laying up short for a good chip to the flag produces more birdies than blasting a wood at the green on a par 5.

I am a relatively light hitter but hit my wedges realllly short. Back in tournament days I used my lob wedge from 65 yards and in, SW from 50 to 75, gap 65 to 95, pitching wedge 85 to 110, 9 iron 95 to 130. Obviously that was a lot of variation and it depended on wind, carry, green conditions, pin placement, etc. When in doubt I took the shorter club and punched it. The 90 yard PW shot was bread and butter for me, just make a 3/4 swing, drive the ball into the ground, it went low, hit on the green, bounced 6 feet forward and stopped on a dime. I absolutely hated when I took a full swing with a wedge that made the ball land 3 feet from the hole and spin 20 feet back.

Distance control is important, not distance

I do not envy someone who hits a wedge 150 yards. I do not think the wedge was designed to be hit that far. I do not think anyone can easily hit a wedge that distance. To be accurate, you have to swing under control with smoothness and rhythm. I am talking about consistently accurate.

I think Retief Goosen has the best swing going these days. It is so smooth and seemless. He has plenty of distance and control with that swing. Notice what he says on that Titleist commercial: "Take one more club!"

If you still want great distance from your wedge, develop a good skulled shot in which you contact the ball with the leading edge of the club rather than the club's face. You will be hitting 170 yard wedges, 180 wedges, 150 wedges, 160 yard wedges. Not much control, but very long.

A lot of par 5 holes are best played by choosing the easiest first two shot to hit to get yourself about 100 yards out (or whatever YOUR full wedge carries). If the greens are such that your ball spins back a lot, you might even be better off getting where you are 140 out so you can use an eight iron which doesn't create as much spin. You could also choke down (sorry, but I choose not to be afraid of a mere word!) on a nine iron from 100 yards and take off some of that spin. Can you imagine the spin that would be on a ball that was hit 150 yards with a sand wedge!!!

I do believe that every shot should be hit with authority, but that does not mean crushing wedge shots. I like the comment about swinging 80* or so of one's power potential. I also think that over half the problems we develop in our games at times can be solved by just slowing the swing down. Slowing down relieves tension, and tension is the culprit. Remove tension, we swing more smoothly and their is more power created from less effort. So we arrive at one of golf's many contradictions: "The easier we swing, the farther the ball goes." (and here we mean "farther both accurately and consistently! Now we can start getting lower scores!)

Rambling again, but I mean no harm. Good luck to all with your games. Sincerely, CP

No elevation and no wind I can hit my 48* PW 125-130 if I hit it good. I hit my 9 iron 145.

My Cleveland VAS 792 PW was about 110 and i9 about 120. My new Pings around 5 yards farther. I don't carry all the different wedges. I use my PW for everything 110 on in (unless I'm under a tree). I've got so I know just how far to bring it back for most distances and it works great out of the sand. Much easier to remember then all those other wedges. I can drop it soft just about the right distance for roll to the pin so usually have a short putt.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520