• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I am so tired...

Just curious, when you go to the practice green, do you take a couple balls or a whole bucket?

ai159.photobucket.com_albums_t135_eracer1111_Smileys_biglaughingsmiley_HA.gif

--- Who loves ya', baby?

If you did, you'd pay more attention to me. awww.clipartof.com_images_thumbnail_2076.gif

From just off the green for a pitch and run maybe your hands are too low? And if you're kind of freaked out I could see how you would be tense and scrunched down over the ball. Stick with a 7, 8, or 9i. I like the 8. Stand a little more upright like a putt. It could even feel like you have the club up on the toe. Forward press with your hands, hold the club firmly, and swing using your shoulder muscles. The ball should come off the club kind of "dead" with little to no spin, and will roll nicely. I learned this shot as a kid from my high school coach who is a golf pro and has been one of the best junior teachers in the state of WI for many years. It's very hard to hit the ball fat with this swing as it is more like putting, and you're a good putter. It should work from any distance where you can hit a pitch and roll. I hope that makes sense. I wish I could show you the shot instead of trying to explain it.
Thanks. I have had some success with this, but the problem is when I'm faced with an uphill 10-yard chip to a tight pin, I don't trust the 8-iron, and think I need to use a sand wedge - which is of course a lower percentage play. I need to start thinking "get the ball on the green" with a lower-lofted club before trying to get it close to the hole with a lofted club.

Those MTs you play are blades, right? Thin top line is better. I cannot play this worth a crap with the Burner shovels I bought last year and will go back to my blades next year.
I wouldn't call them 'blades.' They are a pocket cavity design. Fairly thin sole and topline, but more forgiving than, say, Mizuno MP30's or Bridgestone J33CB's (both of which I've tried.) Definitely not shovels, though.

In a thread I started earlier in the year where I talked about my putting, you told me I should be close to a scratch golfer as it should be easy for me to knock three to five putts off my average of 36+-. I've taken that to heart and vow to putt better next year. No stupid three putts or missed 2-3 footers. You should be able to knock four or five chips or even more off your score.

Kevin
Yep - if I can get even "halfway good" at chipping I can drop 5-8 strokes. I'm sure of it.

Thanks for the good feedback.

Just curious, when you go to the practice green, do you take a couple balls or a whole bucket?
I've gone both ways...:laugh:

Seriously, I usually take 8 balls spread out around the green - some close, some far, some tight lies, some rough, some uphill - you get the picture. Then I chip them to different holes and putt them out. Rinse and repeat.

Definitely not shovels, though.

Yep - if I can get even "halfway good" at chipping I can drop 5-8 strokes. I'm sure of it.

Thanks for the good feedback.

Have you tried a set of shovels? Maybe they would be just what you need to get over the hump?

Have you tried a set of shovels? Maybe they would be just what you need to get over the hump?
No need. My iron play is close to being great. Now, if I could find a shovel that could reliably chip the ball to the hole....?

No need. My iron play is close to being great. Now, if I could find a shovel that could reliably chip the ball to the hole....?

I don't think an equipment change will help, but with all due respect...

Eracer on page 2 said:
Driving percentage = 64.29%
GIR = 16.67%

To me, great iron play from that many fairways would yield well-over 50% GIR. "Close to great" would then have to be substantially higher than 1/6. Or maybe you could say you were 'close' because a bunch of approaches wound up on the fringe, not technically on the green... but then you'd be putting those not chipping.

That said, have you tried simply aiming for the center of the green on all chips? That should be do-able from most lies, and with your putting, that should take double bogey or more basically out of play, and more importantly, put less mental pressure on your chipping.

Joe:

If you're carrying an 18, that means bogey golf that means that a typical hole consists of a decent drive, iron to the fringe, chip on to 10 feet, 2 putts. There can be variations,on in 2 and long first putt, miss the 5 footer & tap in. Crappy drive with nice save chip on & 2 putt, and so on.

Bottom line - that's a tough nut to crack. I spent all summer playing bogey golf and ended up drinking!

IMHO (based on what I know), focus on hitting greens from 170 or so, so you have the same chance on a 400 yd par 4 that you do on 350. I'm not saying that you can't hit a 4 iron, but how many times are you 170 out and how many of those times are you GIR. That's what kept me from breaking through this summer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520