• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I hit to much draw with irons. :(

halifax_golfer

Hey people, I'm a leftie, I dont know my handicap, I'd say about 20 mabye more?... been golfing for 2 years but have always been decent at other sports... anyways, I'm really inconsistant at golf.. I shot an 82 this year at a course with greens twice the speed of what were used to, and I've shot 100+ a couple of times aswell at what should have been easier courses... most the time lately it's been about 93's... (based on par 72)....
Anyways, My problem with my irons is that I hit to much of a draw by mistake, a lot of times leaving me in the trees, and in the rough. the other times, I hit a push out type shot.... I feel like my swing should be not to bad, I stand fairly straight (athletic posistion).. Point the 'V's on my hands towards my back shoulders (mabye I try to point them a little more towards my front shoulders with my irons in this case). I grip almost as lightly as I possibly can, trying not to get the club in the palm of my hand... Then I just try to swing.....

Anyways, sometimes I hit really good shots, sometimes they are bad... I try to stay fairly still during my swing aswell, I guess while trying to feel loose and jelly like at the same time :).

Anyways, I think I can literly see my club path comming from the inside, but I really dont know how to help it..... I'm sure this is a repost.. but mabye cypress feels like making a post. :)... Thanks. Sorry for a long post.

Chris.

My problem with my irons is that I hit to much of a draw by mistake, a lot of times leaving me in the trees, and in the rough. the other times, I hit a push out type shot

Me too. :)

It's worse when I'm casting, then it's left, LEFT, and MORE LEFT. (I'm a rightie)

actually, I just went to the range, and I did OK I guess.. I took some of cypress' tips from another post and tried setting up my feet different, putting my shoulders on plane with my target and clubaface, and then swinging on plane with my feet... hit some greens at the range anyways, but I dont know if I'll feel comfortable on the course with my feet like this... Also was working with my driver and 7 wood.... I also used the tip he gave about lifting front heel at the end of my backswing and then pressing down with it first to begin my downswing..... worked well, but I was topping balls for some reason, as I've tried swinging keeping my lower body very still mostly.... anyways, I wish I had a recording of my swing so I could show you guys and get some advice, but I dont.... Anyways. I'll be around, ttyl.

Chris.

just went outside again and tried swinging with my grip pressure as desciribed in a post in the hackers annonamous forum. for me since I'm a leftie, it's grip with the top three fingers of my right hand and my middle two fingers of my right hand anyways, it's way better described in that post regarding Hogans lessons. The swinging felt great though, tried it without my left thumb and forfinger felt very cool. :)... anyways, I'm golfing tommorow at a course that I like, so hopefully I can beat my girlfriend. :).. fun stuff.

Chris.

Some thoughts on drawing the ball

There was some stuff in other posts that could help with this problem. But there might be some additional things. Too much draw, pushed shots, and even the topped shots can come from the same problem. If the weight gets outside your back foot on the back-swing, you will effectively move the center of your swing from where it was at address towards that back foot. You will then be coming at the ball so far from the inside that your best chance at squaring up the clubface is to roll your back hand over your lead hand (in your case, left over right) and should you flip it enough, the club face is closed at impact and you get a hook. If the club face is not flipped you will push the ball. If you top the ball, the center of the swing has moved so far toward the back foot that the club is actually coming up at impact, and you may make contact above the ball's equator getting the top. Do not be surprised if you hit a few fat shots as well because your swing is so shallow that hitting the ground first is likely. In fact, some of the tops can be the result of your subconscious knowing you have to raise up to keep from hitting the ground before the ball.

Make sure that your weight stays between the feet during the entire swing. On your back swing, have some flex in the right leg. This is a certain firmness that resists the tendency of the weight to go too far toward the back foot. But make certain that even though you are limiting the movement of the legs and hips that you make a full turn with the shoulders so that your back will face the target at the top of the back-swing.

You swing may actually be one that is somewhat overly rounded. I wrote about the "overly straight swing" and the most common problem produced is a slice. Overly rounded swings produce a lot of hooks. As you take the club back let it go on the target line at least a foot before allowing it to come to the inside. How we take the club away often determines how we return to the ball.

At the top of your swing, have someone check to see what direction your club is pointing. Ideally, the shaft will be parallel to the target line. If it is pointing across the line to the left of the target (for a lefty), this will increase the likelihood of a hook.

You may improve your situation by thinking of hitting the ball at the target with the back of your lead hand. Also, maintain the angle in your right wrist to insure that your hands lead the club face at impact. And if you firm up the wrist (but not too much) it will slow down or delay the releasing of the wrists to the point of reducing the draw.

Best of luck to you with your game. Sincerely, Cypressperch

cypressperch said:
You swing may actually be one that is somewhat overly rounded. I wrote about the "overly straight swing" and the most common problem produced is a slice. Overly rounded swings produce a lot of hooks. As you take the club back let it go on the target line at least a foot before allowing it to come to the inside. How we take the club away often determines how we return to the ball.

At the top of your swing, have someone check to see what direction your club is pointing. Ideally, the shaft will be parallel to the target line. If it is pointing across the line to the left of the target (for a lefty), this will increase the likelihood of a hook.

Please come to Vermont and check out my swing. I'm going on holidays in 3 days and am hitting lots of snappers.... maybe I'll do some makeshift video this afternoon. What do you want? 1 down the line and 1 face on?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Who has been here?