• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I never play well with my dad...

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Reaction score
I was playing with my dad this evening, and we only had time to play 9 holes. I started off badly. My driving was great, but whenever I play with my dad, I never do anything else right. My irons into greens were going right, my short game and putting were terrible. I assume i'm just trying too hard to impress him, because we don't play that regularly, but I dunno. I don't have much chance of beating him, because we play off scratch and he should be giving me 7 strokes, but i'm not bothered about winning. I just want to play well, because he never believes any of the scores I shoot, because i'm never playing with him.

Just relax, don't try and impress him. I actually had the same problem before when I was playing at about a 5 handicap, went out and shot 84, :(

Then I realized, he's going to love me and be proud of me no matter what, and if I relax and take it easy, I know I will kick his ***.

i tijnk your right u r trying to hard to prove u can score.if u just relax and enjoy the time with him you`ll prob.shoot your normal round.

i never had that prob. cause i taught my father how to golf.

Took me 2 years to beat my dad. Now I beat him every time... and usually by a considerable margin. I just had to A) get good enough to beat him B) play my own game. That's really the key for me now matter who I play with. I know my strong and weak points, I play to my strong points whenever I can.

I also was shooting better scores without him there. Then I shot an 82 and he broke 90 for the 1st time that day trying to keep up with me. lol. He's been really playing a lot since then, I think it really motivated him.

Whenever your Dad hits a slightly less than perfect shot say something along the lines of "don't worry about it" and then just focus on hitting your normal shot, letting him know you could beat him if you really wanted to.:)

Tune him out when you're playing the round like he was Joe Soap.

It just came to me. When he goes for his first putt, ask him if he was always that bald? Even if he isn't, it'll mess with his head.

Also, give me some odd tips if he has a minor problem in his swing that day(sort of pushing, etc), to make the problem worse!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520

3. 15,301