• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Interesting responses from Ping...

This is why Ping has such different distibution and retailing practices. They want people to come in and be custom fit and get the best product for their game. Then they can build their clubs to withstand World War 3 and no one ever has a need to question their quality.

A tinkerer definitely throws this strategy out of whack... therefore, its not surprising that they would prefer if you had it done elsewhere and their pricing and willingness to do its reflect this.

I once had a brand new McGregor 2 iron. Went to hit it on a long Par 3, and the head flew off..............luckily going toward the hole and not left, at the people waiting to tee off after us. I'll go with the strong epoxy, thanks.:)

I once had a brand new McGregor 2 iron. Went to hit it on a long Par 3, and the head flew off..............luckily going toward the hole and not left, at the people waiting to tee off after us. I'll go with the strong epoxy, thanks.:)

Factory new? That's extremely odd. I've seen re-shafts do that, but factory epoxy is usually pretty good.

Musta been a Friday afternoon job. :D

R35

Factory new? That's extremely odd. I've seen re-shafts do that, but factory epoxy is usually pretty good.

R35
That was the year that my Ping Eye 2s were new, and MacGregor had irons that were almost an exact copy..........I can't remember the model......but they were berrilium (spelling) copper. I got the 2 iron, and it wasn't cheap either. :(

R35

That is very odd. Although, some of the shafts I have pulled that were factory installed did not seem to have as much epoxy used as the ones I do on my own. Easier to pull a shaft that way, actually. Personally, I have used several different strengths of Epoxy (anything from 24 hours set times to 10 minute set times) over the years and have never had a head come off due to epoxy failure (although I did have one fly off due to shaft failure, graphire shaft broke an inch or so above the hosel and the head went about 5 yards down range.) I leave my clubs in the trunk all the time down here in Florida and have never had a shft/epoxy failure in the four years I have been down here. It takes an aweful lot of heat to break down the epoxy bond, it is doubtful that your trunk would get to temperatures that would break down the expoxy unless it was a real poor quality expoxy to begin with.

I am with Rock on this one, must have been a minimalist epoxy assembly job on a Friday afternoon.:laugh:

I leave my clubs in the trunk but it just doesn't get that hot here in Wisconsin..........and when I'm at home during the day and not on the course, the car is in the garage. It couldn't have been heat breaking down the epoxy. Sloppy workmanship.

Happens all the time when hosel bores are slightly out of spec (to big). Shaft has wiggle room, epoxy doesnt like that. (I have a cobra iron in my shop that did this. It needed a lot of shafting beads.

i was playing at a muni once and the guy in front of me just bought brand new 3 and 5 woods in the pro shop. he teed off with the 3 and first hit the head flys off into a lake, takes out the 5 wood and that head flys off too, didnt land it the lake though.

not sure what the brand was the the pro shop has alot of mcgregor v-foils( i think thats what they're called)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520