• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Kicking the habit

There is one area that I believe the cigarette manufactures are spending money that is NOT being addressed and as a quitting smoker has drove me crazy. What could that be?

Movies.

The cig manufacturer's (I'm betting) PAY the movie makers to have the hero, heroine, villian or one or more important character in the film to smoke like a chimney. Think about it and watch for this. If this (quitting smoking) is what the majority want why is there so much shown in movies.

All the money they used to spend in TV ads is now being paid to movie companies. I truly believe this.

:shocked:

Yeah, you're right. I don't wholeheartedly want to quit yet.

IMO this is key. I quit over 20 years ago but I do remember being at a point where I wished I wanted to quit. Sounds kind of stupid now but it was the step before actually quitting.

I think the most difficult thing for me was accepting that I could never have another one. Once I got past that I quit cold turkey and never lit up again. Not to say it was easy because it wasn't, but every time I had a craving and thought about how hard it was to quit I just reminded myself that it was suppose to hard because it was an addiction.

Good luck, you won't believe how much better you'll feel it you can do it.

There are some advantages to being a good Catholic girl. :emot-ange

The outfit. ;) Only reason I used to be Catholic(besides family)!

Some crazy stories on here. I won't comment on good bad or indifferent(grammar foopah for Claire to fix) since I never have, and never will smoke. :)

The outfit. ;) Only reason I used to be Catholic(besides family)!

Some crazy stories on here. I won't comment on good bad or indifferent(grammar foopah for Claire to fix) since I never have, and never will smoke. :)
Double fox paws. Classic.

Double fox paws. Classic.

At the moment, I'm incapable of being clever about this. I don't have the faintest idea what this is, but it came up on Google images under "fox paws." Hope it's not too dirty:

At the moment, I'm incapable of being clever about this. I don't have the faintest idea what this is, but it came up on Google images under "fox paws." Hope it's not too dirty:

"fox paws" = "faux pas" = "foopah"

I've cut down a little. Actually smoking my last cigarette of the evening now. I've started limiting myself. I had 4 left when I picked my GF up at 3pm. and decided I'd have to make them last the night.

Ez,

This is how I did it after I smoked my way through an entire Navy career. I used the gum and smoked. I'd smoke one in the morning and then when it was time to smoke again I'd chew the Nicorette. Did this for about a week, and then went one smoke for every two gums.....eventually I quit the smoking and was hooked on the damn gum....so to get off the gum I'd chew the Nicorette and then the next time I'd chew regular chewing gum and used the same method. Like someone else already said though, you're not gonna quit until you're ready. For WBL it was seeing the dude with the tank, for me it was my BIL dying from cancer and he'd never even smoked...but it still freaked me out enough to quit. Took my wife a year after I quit to finally give it a shot and she was successful as well, smoke free now for her for 10 months. It's tough, for me golf was the perfect smoking environment, especially on a slow day, I knew I'd made it when I played a 5 hour round with a friend that smoked and I made it without one. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

Congrats on your trying. I went cold turkey. But, I literally thought I was dying. Couldn't breathe for sheeeet. The doctor told me not to come back;I was waisting his time. hehehe pissed me off too

Stay away from coffee...I see you like that....beer is a no no. And try being around people that do not smoke. You'll kick the habit. When that demon comes to tempt you, busy yourself with something and tell him "F" you,I'm going to kick this.

Be tough, I know you can do it. Look at it this way, kicking that habit is easier than learning to play golf.

Don't know if this help any of those trying to quit but I thought it was interesting. The idea of a habitual response is very real and I still remember instances reaching for the pocket where I had kept my cigs long after the cravings were gone.

Why Smokers Can't Quit Easily - Yahoo! News

My girl gave up cold turkey and been off them for 6 1/2 months now. Just decided she'd had enough.

Couldn't be more proud of her...

ezra,

You have to just make a commitment. And I don't mean a commitment to yourself "I'm going to quit!" You have to make something that will really stick. For me I promised my wife that I would quit on our wedding day... specifically after we were married. Smoked one right before the service! ;) Anyway, for me a straight up broken promise is a big deal, and it is to her as well. I know that she would be devastated if I went back to smoking. Not just because of the smoking, but because of the broken commitment. That and part of the motivation of her telling me she doesn't want to have to watch me suffocate when we get older because I smoked for 60 years. I didn't think it would be very fair for my wife and kids to have to go through that. I've seen a lot of family members go that way and it's not pretty.

Point is.. you have to find something to commit to. You can't just commit to quitting... or most people can't anyway. You can try all the gum and patches and such in the world... but it ALL comes down to how much will power you have and the driving motivation behind quitting. I'm going on 2 years with no smoking! You can do it!!!

Edit:

Oh and I did cut down a bit before I actually quit. I was probably down to a half pack a day or less. Started making myself smoke outside(works well in the winter!) and things like that. Skipping every other "scheduled" smoke time. Things like you said of not having a carton or fresh pack on hand, making do with what you've got, etc.

Someone above said it's the routine. That's 100% correct, I mean obviously the addiction is a major part also.

Not to be a downer but my mom has smoked since she was 12 and has been in the hospital for the past 3 days with breathing trouble. The doctors have told her either quit or die. She's getting to the point where that statement is starting to become a reality. Having to wear an oxygen mask every day of your life isn't very conducive to the game of golf or having a fun life.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520