• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Long irons

why do you carry so many overlapping clubs ?
1 iron overlaps 3wood
2 iron overlaps 5wood
22* hybrid (503.h) overlaps 3i.
Different courses require different clubs. On a hard tight course a 2 or 1 iron is really effective off the tee. On a longer course I want the height going into the greens.

Narrow stance could be the problem,it could be forcing the hips through early.But there are so many reasons for a pull draw its difficult to say.However the fact its only with long irons suggests the swing path may be okay so it may just be a closed face.Grip strong? Right elbow to low? Laid off at the top?

I do have a strong grip, right elbow is fine and I don't lay it off at the top at all. I will try the stance for 9 holes now, may work.

Strong grip,narrow stance,its gotta be there I think.Problem will be amplified with the long irons.I am a long iron fan,hate hybrids, and I hit a draw,I have to work hard not to turn them over.Its why I've worked for 6 months on a fade and its worked,just took a lot of work.

Just a thought,once you learn how to hit a 5 yrd fade at will you will 100% have cured this problem.

I was hitting everything well today. With the long iron I weakened my grip then put a little pressure on my bottom three fingers on my left hands, shot 32 my last 9. I'm scared to tweak much more because my driver has been amazing so far this year.

Small adjustments definately the way to go

A friend actually fixed my problem without having to change my grip. He noticed I was a little closed with my long irons and was coming inside a little early causing the hook. Took about 10 minutes on the range with a club lined behind the ball to fix it. Problem now is I am hitting my 3 iron the height of a 6 iron and I play in windy conditions :/

I have 0 draw or fade with my irons now, which is the way I like it. Man now I know why tour players can play at that level for such a long time, they have a good set of eyes watching their every move.

I hit my 2 iron high and long, why do I need a hybrid? My question was to limit my 15 yard draw to a 5 yard draw or less.

I understand. Although it seems to me that a hybrid might reduce some of the sidespin.

<quick edit> sounds like you solved your own problem.

I get more sidespin with hybrids

Not really,but I have tried hybrids and hate them intensely,the amount of spin is simply awful,slightly off centre and they fly miles right or left,and incredibly high.A 3 iron flies lower with a much more controllable flight.Maybe I just haven't hit the right one for me with the right shaft,dunno,but I think I will stick with my Sonatec 5 wood and standard 3 iron

I hit a slight pull draw with the long irons due to a little OTT move. Goes a mile though. No need for a 3iron when I'm shutting a 5 down to 20* at impact. Too far forward causes me to hit it heavy or even fat sometimes. Not to mention even on a good strike, forward gets me to far out in the impact zone. Play it back and lay back on it, hit the inside half and I get a true draw rather than the more uncontrollable yank draw.

Lol,physics has nothing to do with it:) I get huge amounts of spin,backspin,sidepsin,the lot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520