• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Looking for Driver

Bubble Head

Reaction score
So I got lucky on a decent set of game improvement irons on eBay. Now I am looking for a driver.
I am about the same size shape and age as Andy Bean(6'3" 280 lbs and near 50). But I can't play as well. I am crrently using a 10* boxed set driver. When I swing hard and get lucky the ball carries 230 and rolls 30 more. Pity that 60% of the time I swing hard I slice out of bounds or worse. If I take it easy I can hit straight 80% of the time and it carries 180. I am taking lessons to work on the swing.

I had been thinking about getting a clone. But you guys say eBay is the way to go.

I am figuring normal flex, standard length (Accuracy is more important than distance right now. If I get better, I can reshart), 10.5* or 11.5* loft.

I have read good things about Taylor Made R7's

What would be a couple good clubs to look for on eBay? I'd like to carry 220 and go straight. Rather not spend much more than $100.

For a quality club at a low price, check out the Ping G2. It's a generation old but it's still a beauty

You should check out the King Cobra M Speed...
I was getting fitted last week on a launch monitor, and that club
really cured my slice, also got about 15-20 yards more distance...
My swing speed is a "wimpy" 85 mph, so I need all the help I can get...
They're a bit more than $100 though, I just saw a "demo" today going for $229...

There's not a lot wrong with the Taylor Made 500 series either. A conforming 540xd or 580xd would be a good choice and would be good value. Very forgiving drivers both.

i just saw an r580xd go for pennies on the dolla, and it should be more forgiving than the r7.

seriously it was at $15 with 4 minutes left, in regular flex graphite design but slightly used.

Aye, any TaylorMade would be nice. If you've got the habitual slice then a Dual D(r5) or r7 draw would be good. For reasonable as stated, the 500 series would be good.

It's not cheap but the new R7 460draw is a nice club. I'm thinking trying to get one of those heads and drop the Xflex shaft I have in there. It's a very forgiving bomber.

Back AWAY

It's not cheap but the new R7 460draw is a nice club. I'm thinking trying to get one of those heads and drop the Xflex shaft I have in there. It's a very forgiving bomber.

Ezra-

Close the link to ebay slowly, take it off you fav list, get up, and SLOWLY BACK AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER... If you have the urge to return, hit yourself in the crotch with one of your existing drivers and think about what you were aboot to do. :eek:

Ezra-

Close the link to ebay slowly, take it off you fav list, get up, and SLOWLY BACK AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER... If you have the urge to return, hit yourself in the crotch with one of your existing drivers and think about what you were aboot to do. :eek:

Why? I got my $$ back for the fake, plus a hat, dozen balls, 4weights (which regardless of authenticity fit and are the correct weight) and I'm working on getting a real Speeder for the one I snapped out of the head.
icon10.gif

I like the R5 but I'll be damned if I didn't get outdriven by a 70year old guy who had one eye, apparently the dominant one.

So I did an hour power run on eBay and picked up a 10.5* R7. That should keep me happy until I can break 90.

Thanks for the colorful responses.

g'luck there wit the R7 bh, t'is a great club.

Nice pickup. What shaft? I had one last year, 9.5 with the stock MAS2 stiff. I was in the minority when saying I really liked that shaft. Call me crazy but it felt like a lighter version of the Speeder 757 to me.

Have fun with it, it's a bomber once you figure it out. Welcome to the team.
icon10.gif

:smilie_tm

Which r7? Good choice, by the way!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781