• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Looking into a new driver/3 wood.

ruining

inappropriate
Reaction score
I'm new to golf equipment. I origianlly had the driver that came with the crappy Wilson Wal-Mart set. I've since upgraded my irons to Wilson Deep Red fat shafts/stiff. I then bought a King Cobra driver for around $80 that gave me tons of distance but had a reg flex shaft, so little control with my faster swing. Instead of buying a stiff shaft for it, I bought a Wilson Deep Red Tour with 9.0 loft with stiff shaft. My longest drive with it was 367 yards, but I caught a good bounce off a forward-facing bump. My average is about 290-320 with this driver and I'm starting to wonder where I would be if I had kept the Cobra.

My question is, now that I've learned to get good distance, I'm wanting a new driver/3 wood combo. Is there anything that is 1-2 years old that is better for me that I don't have to pay an arm and a leg for? I know very little about equipment. I've been bitten by the long-drive bug, but I'm struggling with my accurace, (nothing new) and I'm thinking about starting with a 3 wood and then getting the driver a little later. (2-3 months down the road.)

Thanks.

Couple things.

A)Deep Red is(or was) Wilson's premier wood, and a nice one at that. I absolutely loved the club, but they never sold it at any dealer here in New Mexico, only time I tried was in Denver a couple months after I bought a TM360. So if you like it, keep it, they are nice clubs.

B)If you really want to upgrade, Golfsmith has a Taylormade R480XD, Nike Ignite, TM R5(Dual D or N), Clevelend Launcher, and a couple others all at some pretty decent prices for a new club.

C)For fairway woods just check out a couple other threads on here, like, I want a new fairway wood(or whatever) in Shot Talk section. Lots of good info there.

If you can pound your driver like that, get in on the 4 wood craze (Ezra and I are a 2 person craze), it will get up off the tee and you can poke it out to around 230-240 and you can hit it off the deck (grass) no problem. I have 2 of them, but the Cleveland Quadpro I got a couple of weeks ago is absolutely awesome. You can find those on Ebay for under $40 shipped.

:smilie_cl

Davebud said:
If you can pound...on...Ezra and I...it will get up..and you can poke it...no problem. :smilie_cl

Sorry for the thread jack, I have too much time.

Sorry to blow up the thread here, but I'm looking into the Wilson Deep Red driver and woods and I'm wondering if they'll be good for a semi-beginner (just now getting back into the game after not playing for 10-12 years).

It seems like you all have had good experiences with them, yes?

Davebud said:
If you can pound your driver like that, get in on the 4 wood craze (Ezra and I are a 2 person craze), it will get up off the tee and you can poke it out to around 230-240 and you can hit it off the deck (grass) no problem. I have 2 of them, but the Cleveland Quadpro I got a couple of weeks ago is absolutely awesome. You can find those on Ebay for under $40 shipped.

Come to the dark side.
icon10.gif
I have been experimenting with a 3,4 and 5Wood and have come to the conclusion that just a 4 wood is good for me. That little extra loft gives me more accuracy off the tee as well as the ability to "full swing" at it off the deck. My 3 wood just flies too low and it harder to hit. With a high swing speed the distance difference between a 3 and 4 will pale in comparison to gains in accuracy and playability. Not to mention it opens a slot for another wedge when you have 46yds. in after connecting with that driver.
icon12.gif

ezra76 said:
Come to the dark side.
icon10.gif
I have been experimenting with a 3,4 and 5Wood and have come to the conclusion that just a 4 wood is good for me. That little extra loft gives me more accuracy off the tee as well as the ability to "full swing" at it off the deck. My 3 wood just flies too low and it harder to hit. With a high swing speed the distance difference between a 3 and 4 will pale in comparison to gains in accuracy and playability. Not to mention it opens a slot for another wedge when you have 46yds. in after connecting with that driver.
icon12.gif

Yeah what he said.

JEFF4i said:
Sorry for the thread jack, I have too much time.

Maybe it's time I change my avatar.
icon10.gif

Davebud said:

What shaft do you have in your Quadpro?

<edit 08/30/06> Davebud? Are you there?

So, I've posted this on GR too, and I hear no mention of the Cobra, but they are a pretty long club as well, aren't they? I found a couple of the clubs you've mentioned on ebay for around $100. I'll probably go to a couple golf shops this weekend and see if I can hit any of them. Thanks for the input. I was thinking about the Nike SQ. I'll just start hitting some and think on it. If I can pick up a used one for around 100, I'll be looking into a 3 or 4 wood very soon.
thumbsup.gif

Davebud said:
(Ezra and I are a 2 person craze)

Add me I love my 4 wood its not quite as easy to hit off the fairway as I'd like but thats purely down to the way the clubs designed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520