• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Messing with my kid’s minds.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been taking my two boys out for a few holes in the evening now that the nights are lengthening. My eldest boy is 11. He has a nice fluid swing. He can hit it about 150 ish with a good crack. My younger boy is 8. He has a more compact swing, never misses and my gut feel is that he is going to become really good, especially based on his short game. I decided to take them out individually for now until they get back into it.

I have a running challenge with them. Get a 6 or better on a par four and I’ll buy them a basketball. No let-offs, no mulligans, no gimmes. Proper rules!

The younger is constantly moaning that it is not fair, because he is younger he should get 7 or 8 shots. But in the four holes we played two nights ago, he had good chances on every hole to win. He was in tears three times as he choked on putts. I had to look away to keep a straight face. His competitive spirit and temper is something to behold. His best chance was on a hole with a three tiered green. He was on in 3 and his first putt flew past the hole. He hit it so far past that it went up a steep tier only to roll back down to about 8 feet. I wish I could have videoed his excitement. He then blew the next putt 3 feet past and missed the comeback. Talk about total devastation. He started screaming at me! Never again etc. Just as well we were the only ones on the course. Lethal!

Last night I had the elder boy out. The light was fading fast so we only got three holes. On our last a downwind 350 yard par 4, he announced that it was “basketball time”. He easily got to the green (drive, hybrid and pitch and run 7 iron from about 50 yards) in three and professionally lagged his first two putts to gimme distance for an easy 6. I felt I was robbed. I was planning on getting them a basketball anyway, just nice to see them winning it through their efforts on the links.

Not sure how I progress this. In time we could be playing for £,000s. My kids could ex-communicate me. My wife will probably divorce me. But hey, it’s good fun.

Oh and my achievement? I brought a 6 iron out with me. I managed to par the last only using the 6 iron. Two onto the green and two putts from abount 30 ft. My son was impressed!

I thought maybe you had told them that you are their father, and it's not the postman. That would mess me up. ;)

R35

Awesome - I love reading stuff like this.

My son is a natural athlete, it's uncanny how well he handles the puck, and how straight he hits a golf ball. We'll toss the football for hours, and while most of the other kids in the neighborhood need to absorb the ball with their chest, he can snatch it out of the air. Last year he holed out about a 30 yard chip for a par 3. It's so much fun watching them compete - can't describe the feeling.

I'm sorry to brag about my kid - It's not really my style, but when I find the guy who's really his father he's going to either get a punch in the face, or a pat on the back ;-)

I'm sorry to brag about my kid - It's not really my style, but when I find the guy who's really his father he's going to either get a punch in the face, or a pat on the back ;-)

I was gonna say - your neighbour must be prouder. ;)

R35

Great story IG! It's great seeing youngsters interested in the game. My 3yr old has been riding 9 once a week with me lately. He swings like Bubba Watson, long backswing and comes out of his shoes, hahaha and hits it well. So I know how proud a father can be. I need to start taking a video camera with me.

Awesome story IG !!!!!

My grandson is only 23 months old, but for Christmas Santa/peepaw bought him his own set of real golf clubs. He has had a set of plastic ones since he could crawl. He'd rather go out on the golf course with me than eat I think. The other night I went in to check on him tacking a nap in his toddler bed. He had one of his irons in the bed with him, sleeping with it like it was a teddy bear, :)

His swing needs a bit of work, but seeing as how he is only 23 months old, I think we have plenty of time.
498.jpg

Hey WB,

Not fully there yet. I’ve two games under my belt in 2011. Shot an 81 and an 82, hardly sparkling, but very encouraging, given my circumstances. Hitting the ball about 80% right now, which on a shortened course is working well. However as expected the short game is rusty. My wedge play and putting let me down last Saturday.

But all things in consideration, I’m on track with my progress and delighted to be back playing. Really tough 3 months mentally as well as physically. I mean when you have to get you kids to put your socks on! But onwards and upwards!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520