• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My 300 yard swing, sometimes more.

Guy's are getting too worked up out this stuff. When I started playing I thought I was pretty long. Then as I started moving away from the $18 muni's and onto some decent courses I ran into some "golfers". If you are "long" you should not have anywhere near 3woods into 500yd. holes. I played with a guy around your size who was a 2 handicap. He drove the green on a 327yd. hole on the fly but took it over the trees so it was more like 290 on the fly. He also hit a 7iron into a 512yd. par 5 and made the 12footer for eagle. 1st eagle I've ever seen made on a par 5. That guy can legitimately say he's long. :laugh: He did this with a 9.5* R7425 and a stock stiff shaft in it. I'd hate to see what he would do with a lower lofted, lower spinning head and an Xflex fitted to him. I don't believe I've ever seen a shaft bend so much.

So keep working on it Burlguy and consider a few lessons. Not that I mean anythig negative by that but getting a more fundamentally sound swing will not only give you more distance but more consistancy as well. Good luck.

Woah, this is going nowhere. I just posted my swing, Thanks Jim for coming to my defense( I asked him to, as he was the one to get me addicted to this game).It was raining today and I went yard saling. I love it, dont we all love this game we get so fired up about it. I am going to have to try long drive but I honestly didnt think much of it or that I had a chance, things change. I get a kick out of hearing I dont have sufficient lag or the proper mechanics. I might lack some things but I can still crush it and will learn to do better the more I practice. I think I will stop responding as it is pointless, I was just showing my swing. Another video maybe Sunday.

Reckon golf is about playing and enjoying getting better at it. Think people were just trying to be helpful.

I just didnt quite have it today. A couple of drives running out around 300 on are rain soaked coarse. What do I need to do to get more club head speed? I did not have a very good x/y factor today and my right shoulder blade was bothering me. I cut a bunch of firewood a couple of days ago and it leaves me a little stiff. How to generate more clubhead lag and hold it, or not even hold it make it happen. I did not keep my right arm in as tight as I would have liked. Go ahead and bash away, Maybe I can learn somthing from it. I recorded this par 4 295 yards becuase this is the one I launched into the trees and I usally get one close to the pin. I was around 15 yards right with this one.
YouTube - Hitting it thin 295 yards

I just didnt quite have it today. A couple of drives running out around 300 on are rain soaked coarse. What do I need to do to get more club head speed? I did not have a very good x/y factor today and my right shoulder blade was bothering me. I cut a bunch of firewood a couple of days ago and it leaves me a little stiff. How to generate more clubhead lag and hold it, or not even hold it make it happen. I did not keep my right arm in as tight as I would have liked. Go ahead and bash away, Maybe I can learn somthing from it. I recorded this par 4 295 yards becuase this is the one I launched into the trees and I usally get one close to the pin. I was around 15 yards right with this one.
YouTube - Hitting it thin 295 yards

Your front on looks heaps better than the view from the back. Your beginning move forward into impact fix, to begin your swing is interesting. I would be a big believer that some tweaks to your set up would pay big dividends.

Mate, given that you are getting around reasonably and hitting some good shots, what you are asking is the $50000 question and probably need hands on help from someone knowledgeable. Otherwise a person tends to just go in circles.

Any iron shots? swinging at a tee'd ball like that is one thing..
I still dont think its a reliable swing.

Not too bad Burlguy, nice drive.

Just to put things in perspective... when I used to play the cheaper courses with shorter par 4's I've driven 301, 315 3times and 293 about 10times. The 293 is a little downhill from the teebox, 301 was carrying the treeline over the dogleg and 315 was actually pretty well dead level but needs to roll on up there. A few months ago I played a course with a hole listed at 297, I usually hit 6rion-GW but decided to try 3W-LW. It ended up 3W-SW as I put it into the greenside bunker. I don't consider myself a long hitter as I've played with long hitters. 2Fast is borderline long when he's swinging well, he drove the green on a hole listed at 357 and I've seen him have a 9iron into a 520yd. par 5. Elevation changes and a little wind can make us seem pretty long on paper or a golf forum but neither of us are even close to truly long hitters. I've seen the longest player in my state. He's about 6'4" with a perfect swing. I saw him carry a ball over 340 and have a 60* left into a hole I can get 7iron in if I just bomb one.

So, not to discredit some excellent drives you've obviously hit but it's easy to misconceive what truly "long hitter" can do. If you really want to get a fairly accurate measurement the a) try a launch monitor and b) look up where your state's amatuer tournaments are held and go play one of those courses. Those yardage markers will be a lot more accurate.

I don't care how long you are. I really don't.

I just didnt quite have it today. A couple of drives running out around 300 on are rain soaked course. What do I need to do to get more club head speed? I did not have a very good x/y factor today and my right shoulder blade was bothering me. I cut a bunch of firewood a couple of days ago and it leaves me a little stiff. How to generate more clubhead lag and hold it, or not even hold it make it happen. I did not keep my right arm in as tight as I would have liked. Go ahead and bash away, Maybe I can learn somthing from it. I recorded this par 4 295 yards becuase this is the one I launched into the trees and I usally get one close to the pin. I was around 15 yards right with this one.

Couple of things i would ask is do they move the tee markers? if this is the case like at most courses the yardages will be different from time to time, as i found out when i used Sky caddy at the course i am Director Of Golf at there can be variances dependent on tee placements and size of tee's

As far as the golf swing critique i would say:

At address i see you do grip it very strongly in the right hand i.e the v pointing outside your right shoulder and also a very forced pre set hands forward position, this pre set position results in a very quick inside track on takeaway and you get very flat very quickly and also very shut, this leads to your left arm swinging across your chest and your right arm swinging behind you and your weight not moving from address "very stack and tilt" this then results in a slight overswing, on the way down because your arms have swung out of sync they have to play catch up on the way down and this could result in timing problems, as i see it you seemed to be jumping out of your boots to slog this one as far as you can and also because of an earlier remark i made about posture you have to make a slight adjustment on the way down to clear the space. there is a slight chicken wing through the ball due to the fact being shut on the way back you make an alteration through impact by holding the impact off and stopping the natural path of the club due to a strong clubface position.

The remarks at the end of the video seems like a raspberry towards all the naysayers and non believers and should have been left off as it was more an analysis you needed than another long running argument about how far you hit it and that the contact was thin, it is like the my dad is bigger than your dad argument in the playgrounds.

The remarks at the end of the video seems like a raspberry towards all the naysayers and non believers and should have been left off

Personally I think the comments at the end are the perfect evidence for the problem we're all picking up on - if that's a 295yd hole then a drive from the yardage marker on the tee to the center of the green would be 295 yards. That drive looks to have landed a good 10 to 15 yards short of the green and so could be 25yds from the center, and the actual tee box itself could be anything up to 20 yards closer than the stated yardage from the hole, as they seem to normally be measured from the back of the teeing area and can vary enormously.

Taking a worst case scenario for those distances and suddenly the '295yd drive' has turned into a 240yd drive, and even assuming that the teebox is on its exact yardage marker the fact that the ball is still short of the green makes that a 270yd drive at best. Factor in any elevation changes from the tee to the green or the wind and it could possibly be even shorter.

The reason i quoted that at the end was to try and get him to understand that while we are interested in helping with golf swings we dont take to people who say "thanks but no thanks", or "i hear what you are saying but look you are wrong" is it called netiquette?, as i hav seen quoted before it is all about the score, there are no pictures on a scorecard etc.......

This whole thread was started with one purpose, and one purpose only. To brag about 300-yard drives. I immediately went to sleep...

well burlguy I think you need to make your mind up if you want to focus on being a long drive competitor or improve your golf game...if you decide on the former by all accounts swing out of your shoes and don't worry two much about the mechanics of the swing...if you want to improve as a golfer I would suggest focussing on putting the ball on the short stuff...improving the rhythm of your swing and increase the control...the driver is no scoring club so all you want to do is put it in play especially with your amazing natural distance off the tee:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520