• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Orlando golf course suggestion for Feb 1

mediaguru

Reaction score
I'll be at the PGA Show this year again but this year is different. I'm staying one extra day so I can get out of the frozen tundra of home (Salt Lake) and play some golf.

I need a suggestion on where to play near the convention center as I'll have to cab it to the course. Sunday Feb 1 (superbowl sunday)

If anyone has any suggestions, connections or wants to join me that day let me know!

I have heard nothing but good things about Shingle Creek which is just on the other side of the new wing of the OCCC. Prices tend to be a bit high, but it is really close to I-Drive so taxi costs would be less.

I have heard nothing but good things about Shingle Creek which is just on the other side of the new wing of the OCCC. Prices tend to be a bit high, but it is really close to I-Drive so taxi costs would be less.
Our last time in Orlando when my wife had a work function, we stayed at the Peabody right next to the convention center (which I hated), and for their work they played Shingle Creek simply because of it's location in relation to that area so they could avoid a lot of travel expense. She said it was a very nice, well kept course. She has no idea what it cost because it was a work outing, but usually the courses they pick are very nice and are many times expensive. The prior trip was Grand Cypress. On the same trip we played Hawk's Landing, and she said it didn't really "Wow" her the way Hawk's landing did that trip. She did say though that she would definitely have no problem playing there again.

I agree with Shingle Creek.
Played there a couple of times, really like it.
Also theres Grande Pines Golf Resort about 5 min. South on I drive
from the OCCC. its at the Marriott. Nick Faldos teaching center is there also. There both a little steep but worth the price.
Youll need to make a tee time at either one, you know it will busy the Day after the show. Let me know may be free to play.

I agree with Shingle Creek.
Played there a couple of times, really like it.
Also theres Grande Pines Golf Resort about 5 min. South on I drive
from the OCCC. its at the Marriott. Nick Faldos teaching center is there also. There both a little steep but worth the price.
Youll need to make a tee time at either one, you know it will busy the Day after the show. Let me know may be free to play.
If you like Grande Pines, you may really like Hawk's Landing if you haven't played there. We played both as part of a Marriott Package our last time out, and ended up Playing Hawk's Landing twice as it was only $10 more for two of us, and really liked it a lot more. It is probably not much further than Grande Pines if Memory serves me. It was part of the the Marriott by the other Convention Center. If we do the same again, I would likely skip Grand Pines and simply do Hawk's Landing.

Not that I have played a ton of great courses, but it is one of the best courses I have played. Probably after Pauite in Vegas and The Legends in Niagara Falls. Would rank Redstone in Houston fairly close on my list. Only complaint about Hawks Landing I could have found was the very outsides of the greens were kind of burned out at the time (A couple inches). Because I like scenery when I golf, it is likely one of the more enjoyable rounds I have ever played.

Here is a review with pictures:
http://www.shottalk.com/forum/golf-...17865-hawks-landing-golf-club-orlando-fl.html

edit 1 - actually Hawk's landing is about 4 miles further away from the Convention Center than Grande Pines, or about 7 miles total. Grand Pines is only about 2 miles away in the same direction. Not that Grande Pines was bad, but I would still likely pay a cab to go 7 miles over Grande Pines

We have a 3 day stopover in Orlando on our way back from Naples. We're playing Disney Magnolia, OCN Crooked Cat and MetroWest, had heard about Shingle Creek but they were looking for some serious twine ($150?)

If you have not played World Woods I feel you are missing out. It's my favorite course in South Florida.....and I belong to Avila which is no slouch, but would belong to WW if it were a local private. Both courses are great, but I prefer Rolling Oaks b/c the pace of play on the sig course Pine Barrens is just nauseating. Plane on 430 to 5 hours. I played Rolling Oaks two weeks ago in the late afternoon with a pal and we did it in 2 hours 50 minutes.

Honestly, I absolutely loved Disney's Magnolia and Disney's Palm. Two beautiful courses with some pretty fun layouts.

I still hate bermuda grass.

Honestly, I absolutely loved Disney's Magnolia and Disney's Palm. Two beautiful courses with some pretty fun layouts.

I still hate bermuda grass.

Well that'll do for me if our resident pro gives Disney the :thumbs up:

Well guess where I played? TPC Sawgrass. I also played Disney's Lake Buena Vista. Both were fun, but obviously the TPC was way beyond the Disney course.

Grand <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Cypress</st1:City>, <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Orlando</st1:City> <st1:State w:st="on">Florida</st1:State></st1:place><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Just returned from <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Orlando</st1:City></st1:place> where I got to play at Hyatt Regency's Grand Cypress resort. There are 3 nines being the North, South and East courses, as well as, the New Course that is a links layout. We played the North/South combo from the Men's back (not the championship tees) at 6500 yards with a 72.0/131 rating and slope. The course is designed by Jack Nicklaus. Normally, I'm not a huge fan of Nicklaus courses, but this one really caught my attention. A beautiful set up, very challenging but fair, excellent & exceptionally fast greens. Water and bunkers are strategically placed and not just for looks. The entire place was nice to be in. The club house is beautiful, with good locker room and pro shop. The bar and restaurant area are very classy with good food and drinks. Expensive as one would expect for a top notch resort, but not over the top in any way. Everyone was terrific in the service department. They list the place as private, but actually its a call in for a tee time deal. If you can splurge, or find someone else to pay for it, this is a course you want to play.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

Metro West, <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Orlando</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">Florida</st1:State></st1:place><o:p></o:p>

Just got back from <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Orlando</st1:City></st1:place> where I played in an outing at Metro West. The course is a Robert Trent Jones layout. As usual, it looks easy and is wide open, BUT, the bunker placements make you hit greens on the fly. Also, it is very difficult to judge the depth of the greens from the fairway.
As usual, Jones designed the holes for the wind that he believes should always be a consideration (you should try his layout in <st1:place w:st="on">Guadeloupe</st1:place>).
I do suggest that you play from the tips where you can see the range of each hole as it was designed to be played.

We found the staff accomodating and the treatment and greetings from the rangers comfortable. No problems.<o:p></o:p>

Shingle Creek in <st1:City w:st="on">Orlando</st1:City> is part of the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Rosen</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Conference</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Center</st1:placeType></st1:place> on <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Universal Blvd.</st1:address></st1:Street> The course is a beautif David Harman Design featuring water on 16 of the 18 holes with over 100 sand traps. The course has numerous mounds and subtle contours throughout. No houses or condos, but rather is built around the main conference building that is very nice looking and does not intrude at all with the vistas of the course. The greens are Bermuda grass and in terrific shape. From the tips you are looking at 7228 yards with a 75.1/139 slope. We played the golds (one step down from the championship box) at 6758 with a 71.7/134 rating. Wind conditions range from mild to massive and always deliver a nice challenge to the well bunkered greens. The round cost $137 with cart and tax. Don't know too many people who played this track or even know about it, but it was very nice. Friendly and professional service all around. Highly recommend<o:p></o:p>

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520