• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Peaking at all the wrong times.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Reaction score
This year has been a trying experience for me and my golf game.

When the season started in New York this year, I was already playing near my best after the first couple rounds. I'd finish the front nine four or five over hitting the ball decently and putting well enough. As the summer came in I started practicing a LOT, and it showed. I'd go out and make 3 birdies in 6 holes, hammer drives, stick wedges silly close, and hit my irons like it was as simple as tic-tac-toe.

Then, like the tide, is all disappeared. I moved to North Carolina in October for plenty of reasons, one of which being that I could keep playing golf and didn't need to own a snow shovel. Like clockwork, from the moment I set foot in ol' NC, it was like swinging at a firefly with a broomstick. I lost it all. I SERIOUSLY considered quitting the game. Now, I've "quit" golf approximately $5,000 times. But I genuinely lost interest in the game. I started to feel that, even if I could go shoot a 75, who cares? What a stupid game, a pointless game, a waste of money and life.

But I'd already invested so much in this stupid, pointless waste of money and life. I have a LOT of gloves (you wouldn't believe me if I told you) and 7 pairs of shoes. I said to myself, "I'm gonna burn through this crap, and then quit. But I'm done buying clubs. It's not the clubs' fault."

So I dragged my sorry ass to the driving range; played for free with a friend a few times. I decided that I might as well make the most of it while I burn through these shoes. I forced myself to forget everything I'd ever read aside from a few choice swing-notes. I decided that I needed the clubface to hit the ball squarely, in the center, then apply speed.

Fast forward to Tuesday, two days ago; 44*, breezey, snow in some places. I puke up a 42 on the front 9 driving the ball like garbage. Included in that 42 were two 5-foot putts that I left one inch short, and a drop due to a lateral hazard. Fast forward to the driving range today; 41*, cloudy. Effortlessly turning it both ways with every club in the bag; even the driver is responding reasonably well, and EXCEPTIONALLY well to a gentle fade. She still doesn't like to turn left, but when you can smash a 5-10 yard fade up the left side, why worry?

I'm hitting the ball more purely now than I have in months, and it's going to be January in 8 hours. My dream set of clubs should have been here today, but apparently won't be arriving until Saturday or Monday. I've got grips ready for them.

Cross your fingers for a gentle winter, because the alternative is that I'm going to be playing in the snow.

WTF aren't those clubs there yet? I frickin' sent them on Monday! I'll PM you the delivery confirm number. Glad your getting the itch again. I had a very similar year. My best 9 this year was a 37. On what day, you ask? January 1, of course. It was 25 degrees, and I was using blades. It been a long year.

42 on the front 9 is very good, what are you bummed about? if i could shoot 42 and say i hit the ball like crap i would be pumped, add 42 more and that is 84, good score for amateur golfer, i have shot 60 on the front 9 and all i could think about was the par i made on the 9th hole that made me forget about all the bad hits i had. couldn't wait to play some more. where in NC did you move to? im also in NC, Rockingham. about 30 min from Pinehurst area.

I don't know where Pinehurst is. I'm near Hickory. I was happy with the 42; I just know I gave a bunch away. Playing tomorrow in the 35* weather. I think I'll be in the 80's.

Yeah, this winter sucks....

View from my window....

aimg245.imageshack.us_img245_3222_cimg0634o.jpg

Oh....wait, its actually 70F here today hahahaha

Yeah, so much for that gentle winter. But I guess it's all relative, so maybe this is gentle to you.

I know how you feel. I shot my best ever score (89) last Tuesday with some terrible putting and in at least -2 club temperature -- could've very realistically been low-80s if I had been putting to my usual standard. Now it's cold as balls so there's no telling when I'll get to play again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520