• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

PGA Driving Distance Stat Question???

fisher

Reaction score
When the PGA posts a players stats for average driving distance, are they adding in holes where the player hits 3-wood or an iron off the tee? Or is it just driver holes?

When the PGA posts a players stats for average driving distance, are they adding in holes where the player hits 3-wood or an iron off the tee? Or is it just driver holes?

As far as I know driving distance is typically measured on 2 holes in each tournament, typically a long par 4 or par 5 where most players will have to hit driver. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

As far as I know driving distance is typically measured on 2 holes in each tournament, typically a long par 4 or par 5 where most players will have to hit driver. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

correct, here are some examples:

St Andrews 5 14
TPC Sawgrass 9 11
Colonial 15 17
Harbour Town 4 6

etc...

yes, this is exactly right. Not only is it only for 2 holes, but the 2 holes are chosen to be in as opposite directions as possible, to also balance out any effects of wind.

yes, this is exactly right. Not only is it only for 2 holes, but the 2 holes are chosen to be in as opposite directions as possible, to also balance out any effects of wind.

Didn't know that, makes sense though. Good info!

.... but the 2 holes are chosen to be in as opposite directions as possible, to also balance out any effects of wind.

Golfers with wind don't drive as far?? ;)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

FedEx Ranking