• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Phil Mickelson on Valhalla Experience: 'Fans Have Been Sensational'

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - With family in the area and knowing the sports history and culture in southern Indiana and this part of Kentucky, I admit that I'm biased when I say Louisville is a great sports town. But at least one famous golfer agrees. That would be Phil Mickelson.

Despite heavy rains and a soggy and muddy Valhalla Golf Club along the edges where the gallery walks and watches, a sold-out PGA Championship has forged ahead with great golf and large, boisterous crowds. No one should be surprised. They love their sports around here, and that includes major championship golf.

As Mickelson observed after finishing his third round, nothing seems to dampen their spirits.

"It really is amazing when you look at the weather conditions and the challenges logistically to get here from a spectator's point of view, how many people have shown up to support this tournament," he said.

"Now they have done it every year from '96 and 2000 PGA and the '08 Ryder Cup. The fans have been sensational, and supporting us the way they did to that '08 victory. They were a huge part of our momentum. And they have been out here supporting the players equally as strong as they have in the past this week."

Mickelson was asked: "What does it do for you when you are in the midst of that kind of atmosphere?"

"It's great energy to have so many people and be so supportive not just of myself but all the players. They have been great."

Lefty will try to feed off that energy on Sunday, saying on Saturday evening that he needs to go low for a chance to win his second PGA championship and sixth major.

Source: Phil Mickelson on Valhalla Experience: 'Fans Have Been Sensational'

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54