• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ping Irons

mgoblue

Who me?
Reaction score
OK...so I have an opportunity to purchase a brand new set of Ping irons for less than half price. I couldn't figure out how to pass that up...so I'm going to do it. The problem is I can't decide whether to get the I5's or the G5's. Here is my thought process:

I'm a hacker. I shoot in the mid 90's. However, I have a strong desire to get better (don't we all). As much as I would like to be, I'm not a club ho (no offense to those that are), meaning this set will probably have to last me quite awhile.

I know the G5's are supposed to be a little more user friendly. But I'm wondering what will happen if my game improves over the next couple years, will I want to have the I5's?

So I'm asking for opinions. Give me your thoughts and ideas. What should I be taking into account? Are the G5's going to give me enough to work with even if I start shooting in the mid to low 80's (assuming that day will ever come). Should I learn to grow with the I5's? I'm leaning toward the I5's, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks for your time.

Go Blue!

Have you demoed each club? The answer may be quite apparent after hitting them. I intended to buy the G2's, when I demoed them I could not even stand the setup or appearance or feel of the G2, I ended up with the i3+. I love the clubs but hate the offset. the I5 has less.

I personally think that if you are in the mid 90's I would stay away from the G5, the I5 has less offset than the i3+, not having hit the I5 I would not say that it is the right club, but I would certainly choose it over the G5 based on your current status and willingness to improve.

If where you play fits for pings, they should at least have a 6i they will allow you to take on the course for a round or two, maybe be worth doing. Anytime you hit a 6i, try both. You can find out who has them on www.Pinggolf.com

Good luck with your decision. I know how you feel...I just picked up my new Ping i5's last week. I looked for a long time at all different models, but kept going back to Ping. For me it was a question of height. The G5 is a game improvement club helping hackers get the ball in the air. I do this on my own anyway, the last thing I needed was a club that helped me get the ball in the air. Also, one of the guys in my usual foursome bought G2's last year. He didn't like them due to the ease of hitting high shots. He claims he lost all sorts of distance because of this. The G5 is the next version of the G2.

Also, like Jayhawk, the appearance was another factor for me. The exaggerated offset and the width of the top edge of the club, were enough to distract me. The i5 is thinner in both respects.

I play the G2's and shoot in the mid to high 80's. I love them. I gained 10-15 yards on almost every club. I used to hit my 7 150, and now hit my 8 155. As with anything in golf, they are very user specific. A golf swing is alot of bodily contortions working toward one beautiful finish, and we all contort differently. In short (finally) demo them. Good luck. Good choice on Ping.

Ping definitely is a fit specific club. You really need to try them on the course to get what you intend. I purchased the i3+ last year and hated them. But it was more because of the lie (red dot) and offset not fitting my swing than anything. I hit em straight but gave up about 10-15 yards per club. I have heard from my buddies, who love Ping, that once you get fitted correctly with a Ping you'll never go back. I'd try them out a few rounds before you buy, if you can.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520