• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ping Putter question

ezra76

Reaction score
There are 2 decent Ping putters at the shop I go to on the used rack. Both are $29.99. One is a Ping Pal and the other is an Answer with a slot in the bottom. It has all the writing (Phoenix, AZ and zip) in the cavity. Both are copper. Are these worth a lot more than that price or just common Pings?

Go buy that Ping Anser right now.

I think that thing is worth some monney.

Classic putter.

I know someone that had one stolen put of his bag.

My father plays one.

I would imagine they are brass, not BeCu (copper). Ansers were made in BeCu, but the Pal never was.

The Pal doesn't have any collector value. That does not take away from how it might work for you as a putter. Tom Watson still carries an old Pal.

The Anser could have some collector value if it has a specific zip code. However, that possibility is remote. Certainly, if it is a BeCu putter, it is worth far more than the 30 bucks. As a brass putter, probably about the correct used value. Again, though, these are great putters for use on a regular basis.

Thanks Limpalong. I looked at a few similar ones on Ebay and they were around the same price. I think you might be right about brass not copper. I liked the Answer better but it felt pretty light to me. I like more weight in a putter. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't some rare $200-$300 putter sitting there. It was that slot on the bottom that I've read something about.

Its a sound slot. It changes the sound the putter makes when hit. The anser is the greatest golf design ever

I liked the Answer better but it felt pretty light to me. I like more weight in a putter. It was that slot on the bottom that I've read something about.
As far as the putter weight, there is always lead tape. I don't own a club that doesn't have some lead tape splotched on it. I, too, like the feel of a heavier putter. Seems to encourage letting the putter 'flow' towards the hole and not simply stab at the ball. Picked up a SRT 2-ball at a steal yesterday. Before the evening was over, there was lead tape slapped all over it. My clubs without lead tape are as out of place as Britney Spears without underwear!!!!

As the other poster mentioned, the sound slot is simply part of the design of some Anser models. Not all of Karsten's Ansers had the slot. Yet, the slot was not specific to the early models that exude collector value.

Either of the Pings would be worth a try, if you are in the market for a putter. If you are looking for a putter that could be ebay'd and double your 401k... sorry!!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520

3. 15,301