• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Playing a new course tomorrow

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Reaction score
If the bad weather blows through tonight, I have a 1PM teetime at Goshen Plantation.

Bearing in mind that I'm a hacker and I suck, which tees should I play? This course seems to have its own color code.

(Forest Hills white tees I usually play are 6335 yards, 70.5 rating, 126 slope)

Gold --- 7143 yards --- 74.8 rating --- 136 slope
Blue --- 6615 yards --- 72.2 rating --- 130 slope
Mens ---- 6103 yards --- 69 rating --- 122 slope
Womens --- 5931 yards --- 74.3 rating --- 131 slope
Red --- 5256 yards --- 70.6 rating --- 123 slope

Right now, I'm thinking Blue, but Mens if the wind is blowing hard.

That's a huge difference back to the golds. Wow.

The Blues would be about what a lower yardage course would be around these parts. I say go with that. Plus, you'll get to see more of the course. More bang for the buck!

R35

I'm with Rock on this one. No need to handicap yourself on the 1st tee.
I'm in Athens, and the 1st storm headed out just as quick as it blew in.
If you dont mind me asking, What kinda greens fees are we talking at Goshen?

After 12; $35 with a cart, $25 walking. I've got a reserve meeting on Sunday and I have to get up at 4AM so I'm gonna puss out and ride. :D

Winds tomorrow 25-30 mph. :(

Hit the Blues

Then as a hack your excuse is built in, "Damn I should have hit the mens and I would have scored much better."

I usually take the easy way out. As I am usually paired with someone, I let them decide. Although I am not a great golfer, my problem is consistancy and not distance. Not that I am Terribly long off the tee. If they choose the Tips, I take my second choice unless I am at the top of my game, which I have not been in two years. Two years ago I would score better on the same course the longer the tees, although at this point my irons are better than my woods. Usually if it is my first time on a course I play the easier of the two so I enjoy the round more and do not leave with a "worse" impression. With 25-30 mph winds, I would be on the Men's tees based on my skill level.

I am also not to proud to move up if I am not having a good day, regardless of where the others play.

Having not played since Thanksgiving weekend, the Reds may be my wisest choice. It has been over 50 degrees here all week, no snow left on the ground, and still no flagsticks on the course. Snow and rain expected throughout the next week.

Jbird76,
fellow athenian!!! what courses do you play around athens?

Ouch. This is not a good sign: I leaned down to pick up a 80lb Gordon Setter just as the owner signaled the dog to jump up on the exam table (we don't do that here). Dog's head and my cheekbone collided. Dog's head won.

Now I remember why I quit karate. Never could take a punch.

I played today. What a waste of time and money. Shot a 50 and 50. The wind was blowing so hard that twice my ball on the green rolled off before I could get to it.

On the plus side, it's a nice course, but what I would call difficult, especially from the blue tees. And it wasn't crowded. :) Finished in 3 1/2 hours. :D

Houses REALLY close to some of the fairways. I hit a shot out of somebodys back yard!

DouginGA said:
Jbird76,
fellow athenian!!! what courses do you play around athens?

Whats up Doug

I'm not actually IN Athens, but who the hell knows where Comer, Ga is? Anyway, i love UGA's course, played there since highschool. Its hosted the NCAA's a time or two i think. Ive played Green Hills a handful of times. Eagle greens on hwy.98 near Commerce, Highland Walk near Royston(Ga. state park courses kick ass!) Sunrise in Colbert, Catteechee in Hartwell(pricy as hell) and the Hartwell G.C. on Hwy 29.

Playing Arrowhead Pointe, which is the state park system's newest, for the 1st time next wknd. Its in Elberton, with 12 of 18 holes being bordered by Lake Russell! My new titty proV's are probably scared shitless. Ever played Arrowhead? You in for Sat. or Sun. morn?

JBird
Of course everyone has heard of comer, have done some work for Jubilee partners a few times, (I am not a believer, but they are a good bunch of people.) have a client out on new church rd and also just out of town on 22 :)
But back to golf!!
Havent played uga in about 15 years, but do hit the range up over there quite often. Green hills just got sold i am told, is an interesting course but lack of $$ out there has made it a kinda rough course. Eagle greens is going thru some renovations too, had temp tee boxes on some holes (like #9) and seemed kinda bland IMHO. cant think of any standout holes, all kinda the same.
Highland is my favorite right now. Great shape and some fascinating holes. Anyone passing thru GA should try this one out. Hilly as hell, and perfect greens. This one is a real test, ball above your feet with downhill lie, ball below your feet with uphill lie, everywhich way! I play sunrise often to improve my outlook after Highland has humbled me :). Havent done Catteechee yet (am cheap) but the hartwell course is a nice change, and very friendly staff and regulars out there.

I have played arrowhead once. Liked it and found it in very good shape, but not nearly the challenge of Highland.
Ever play chimneys or woodlake? hardlabor? Hardlabor is a state park and in fantastic condition.

Will send my phone # to you in message and think it would be great to get and play with someone new. Was thinking earlier it would be nice to see a Georgia shottalk member outing if others were interested. Doc? dirtman? anyone?

peace
Doug

That would be cool, if we can find a good, central location. How about Goshen? :D

The REALLY wierd thing about the round I played in the high, high winds on Saturday was that I never went into a single bunker or water. I did have trouble standing still over the ball. The next time I see a tournement on TV where the pros' trousers look like signal flags on a flank-steam-ahead-destroyer, I'll have more respect. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520