• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putting help...

Dale

English Hacker...
Reaction score
OK, guess I need a re-vamp on my putting!

Like quite a few mid handicappers I guess putting can be the weak link? It most certainly is with me, and there is only so much I can blame on the greens ;)

Basically I'd just like some advice that I can put into practice to aid consistency. I don't mind if I pull it ALL the time as I can fix that, but its long, short, left, right anywhere but in the cup lol.

...and the funny thing is that if I could hole out a lot more, and 2 putt the long ones I'd be of something like 5 right now as the rest of my game better than an A+! (and I never get A's! lol)

Ouch! You just hampered the digestion of my breakfast! You see, putting has been my woe this entire season. Unlike what you describe, I can roll the long putts close. It's the 3' to 6' distance that has hurt me all year.

I've vacilated back and forth between a 2-ball SRT and a couple of different Pings from the basement. Recently, I purchased a Yes! Sophia which I wrote about in the Review section. Less than two weeks later, I've divorced that beiotch and she's gone... not only relegated to the basement stash, but kicked out of the house and the locks were changed behind her.

I do believe there is hope. (If we had no hope of improving in this game, what would be the object of continuing putting ourselves through this frustration?) Another thread on this DB... a thread having to do with Ping lie angles... directed me to some Maltby videos on putting. Wow! Ralph is awfully hung up on specifics of geometry and putter length and putter lie and putter loft, but he seems to make sense. And, if you can get by the fact we are NOT robots like his model, he really gives some good insight on the 'art' of putting. And, therein lies the challenge!

Is putting an art or a science? Let me use a personal analogy. I work in the engineering/construction field. For 32 years, I've either handled your sewage or your drinking water and hoped not to get the two confused!!! Building large drinking water facilities, it is imperative that the geometry of the basins fit the process application in order to turn out good water. A layman walking through one of our plants, however, will never know if one of the basins is two or three inches off where it was shown on a set of plans. Most people don't know what component in a drinking water facility clarifies the water and what component filters the water... and what makes the difference. Yet, if the color of paint on one concrete wall does not match another or if a wall is built with a little "bow" in it... the water tastes bad!!!

Maltby's science or Pelz's science makes good sense. We must have the correct equipment in our hands that will allow us to become consistent. Yet, that equipment must look good to our eyes and feel good to our touch or the "art" part will never kick in.

I would suggest watching the Maltby videos or purchase Pelz's book on the short game. Get a putter in your hands that is properly fit to your physical attributes and your stroke. With that confidence instilled that you DO have a putter that fits, now you can concentrate on the stroke... the art of putting.

Good luck!!!

Recently, I purchased a Yes! Sophia which I wrote about in the Review section. Less than two weeks later, I've divorced that beiotch and she's gone... not only relegated to the basement stash, but kicked out of the house and the locks were changed behind her.

You, Sir, are a SLUT!

Here is some putting stuff off the top of my head

which might be of use (I putt fairly well using these thoughts, etc):

1. Long putts, think distance. Short putts, think line.
2. The dumbest question is "How much does this putt break?" The reason this is a dumb question is that SPEED DETERMINES LINE. So the same putt can break many different amounts according to the speed produced.

3. I prefer the straight back-straight through type of stroke as opposed to the stroke in which the putter face opens and then closes to square at impact.

4. The arms hang straight down under the shoulders. The eyes are right over the ball. The wrists are completely still. The shoulders sort of rock to give you the power for the stroke.

5. The stroke has a pendulum timing. This means that as you approach the end of the back-stroke, the putter head gradually slows down. As the putter head returns to the ball it is accelerating. I like the follow through to be the length (or a bit longer) of the back-stroke which helps to PREVENT DECELERATION which will invariably open or close the face before impact.

6. The left hand grips the club with the thumb running straight down the middle of the shaft , and the handle of the putter will therefore be under the pad of the thumb instead of in the fingers. This will assist in keeping the wrists still. You do not really need to go to having your lead head under, or use the "claw", or whatever. This grip does the job quite well.

7. I like to pick the largest break at which a putt can be holed. Important: Visualize where such a putt will enter the cup and then stroke the ball accordingly.

8. Down hill putts, die the ball in the front of the cup. Uphill putts, hit the back of the cup. Side hill putts, split the difference. However, be aware of the last part of the putt which might be down hill, etc. Observe the green from a distance which can give you a better idea if the putts will be uphill or downhill.

9. Do not get concerned so much about the ball falling in the hole. Instead, put the best roll you can on the ball and let the results just happen. Easier said than done, but this is a really important aspect of successful putting.

10. Relax.

11. Three good drills:
a. putt a fifteen to twenty foot putt with eyes closed.
b. putt the same putt watching the cup rather than the ball.
(address the ball first)
c. putt the same putt holding the club only with the right hand (bottom hand) and with the left hand gripping the right arm just above the elbow.

12. Two things that might help on short putts in which you can see the cup at address. Close the left eye. With head over ball, swivel your head just enough to look at the cup. Stare at the cup a few seconds, return eyes to ball, make stroke with no delay.

13. Do not try to read every little thing into long putts. Generalize, address the ball thinking speed, and make stroke with no delay.

14. I have said putt without delay. However, before you can putt confidently, you must be committed to your reading of the putt and the stroke you need to hole it. (Again, know in advance that you will accept the results of your effort to put the smoothest roll you can on that putt.)

15. Never attempt to make any putt by just tapping it in, especially when in some off balance stance because you are trying to stay off someone's line. Instead, mark the ball and then give it the consideration it deserves because you will be sick when you miss such putts.

This concludes the Cypressperch Putting Bible.:laugh:

Sincerely, Cypressperch

Great information cypress.

I think the first thing is...it is generally never the putter...if you can putt you can putt. Can you become a better putter?? Of course, with practice. I like Rotella's book "Putting out of your mind" it really helped me. Find a putter you like the looks of and are comfortable with, practice, and be confident in your stroke. The worst thing in the world when putting is lack of confidence.

That being said, I have this year averaged 30.28 putts a round while lowering my cap from 12 to 9. Is that number good or bad well who knows....but I am confident that with a little cash on the line and a 10 footer I am gonna make it. Just remember....Read it, Trust it, Stroke it

Jason

Keep your grip presure light & stay down on your putts, looking up on your putts causes all sort of problems without you even realising that your doing it!!! Good luck putting is a game within a game.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520