• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putting improved 100%

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I "threw away" my old putting stroke and grip in frustration at my inconsistency and went to the left hand low grip (ala Padraig). The initial results were promising, even with the erratic distance control due to the strange feeling grip. Last Sunday I shot a 91 for 18 but only had one 3-putt. I was leaving myself some 5-6 foot second putts due to still getting a feel for the distance but was making them. Last night I absolutely putted lights out. I started out pretty good with the other clubs (driver was solid all day) but finished poorly with my fairway accuracy. But I had only one 3-putt (very nasty pin placement on side of hill) and made a couple beautiful long ones. Everything inside of 7 feet (other then the one hole) was made. And on the last hole after putting two fairway shots into two seperate ponds, missing the green, dubbing a chip into a sand trap and hitting the sand shot on but 20 feet away, I made the 20 footer to salvage a snowman... ( :( ). In other words most of my game sucked except my putting and I still shot a 48 for 9. 14 putts for 9 holes. And this is still not yet feeling comfortable. Anyone having putting issues should at least give this an experimental try. It takes the problem of breaking wrists right out of the stroke. :)

(Score sucked because of bad bounces, rotten directional control on fairway shots and bad chipping. Not a very good round at all. Got a par on a par 5, hitting a hybrid on the third shot 200 yards on the green after hitting driver into a sand trap in the middle of the fairway 250 yards out and ball under the lip forcing a 50 yard second shot to get out. Last hole was a nasty par 5 with a pond on the left and another on the right and a tree in the mix also.) :(

I have been itching to try this after seeing numerous people switching. It will definitely take some practice though since I have had the same putting stroke for 10 years :laugh:

I threw out my old stroke after 40 years. Not that hard to do. :)

Or you took my advice? Eh? Eh?

Tried it today for the first time today and I will say I was much more consistent. Still need to work on it a bit more but I think it is the way to go for me at least.

gimicy?

:thumbs up:

Is it because you wer e breaking your wrists before you switched to the unconvetional grip, or the does the grip have some other fundemental benefit if breaking your wrists is not a problem... ?

A.

Putting seems to be hot & cold. 1 day you can't miss & the next you can't make an 18" putt. I don't think there is any "correct" grip or method to it. Read the greens properly, get the speed & line right & that's all there is to it.

I wasn't breaking my wrists before but it seems like this grip gives me a more fluid stroke. I don't really know how to explain it, but it feels like this grip forces me to completely disengage the small muscles and putt with the larger ones. Could just be all in my head though ;)

Putting seems to be hot & cold. 1 day I can't miss & the next I can't make an 18" putt. I don't think there is any "correct" grip or method to it. Read the greens properly, get the speed & line right & that's all there is to it.

Wi-Golfer

That's the whole point. You need to make your putting consistent all the time for consistent low scores. And there's more to it then reading the green right and finding the line. You need to be able to hit it on that line at the right speed, over and over and over again. A grip change can be all it takes. Putting is very personal. What works for one doesn't for another. I put this post in here because it HAS been working AMAZINGLY WELL for ME. And it MIGHT work for someone else. It takes about 15 minutes on the practice green to see any affect. No change or worse and you forget about it. It was immediately noticable for me and might be for other Shot Talkers.

I wasn't breaking my wrists before but it seems like this grip gives me a more fluid stroke. I don't really know how to explain it, but it feels like this grip forces me to completely disengage the small muscles and putt with the larger ones. Could just be all in my head though ;)

shanemc13

Good description. Exactly how I would explain it. :)

And no one is forcing anyone to try this or saying it's the Holy Grail of putting. If you putt like Tiger now why change.

are you a righty with a dominate left eye ? accorrding to a pga instructor hereabouts, that grip helps for this, and also makes your left shoulder line up towards the cup.

Nope, a right hander with a dominant right eye. Still is working for me. :)

Played nine holes today and was 3 over going into the last two holes (par fives). Blew up on those (bad 3-woods and chips). NO 3-putts. Four one putts (3 over 15 feet). 14 putts total again for a 42. Life is good. :D

I'd have to thrw doubt on the stats here.

Improved 100%

How did you ever complete a round before without holing a single putt?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520